Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance-do I need more/different?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, not been skiing abroad before and would like to check this out so I’m clear. I’ve already got travel insurance with the bank that also covers winter sports (a NatWest account).

I’ve heard that people also get insurance with their lift pass that covers first aid/rescue and transport to medical facility. If I book with Crystal is this automatically added in to the lift pass? I didn’t see an option for adding this anywhere in the section where you add a lift pass to your booking.

If it’s not included, is there somewhere decent anyone can recommend to get this myself? I’m not sure if it varies depending on which country you’re visiting.

I’d much rather have this additional insurance than not, having had to use travel insurance for medical treatment abroad in the past. I’m not sure how doing it separately this way would allow it to be added to lift pass though (if that’s important)? Thanks everyone, not the most fun topic sorry!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's unlikely to be included with a pre-purchased lift pass. You haven’t said where you are going, but the lift ticket counter should be able to help you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@telford_mike, probably Italy. Should I not bother buying lift pass with trip booking then and wait until I get there? I think the hotel I was looking at needs you to get chairlift from hotel to ski school area, I’m just not sure how it all works, it’s all new to me I’m afraid!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lilaclou, Fully understand the concern that a first ski trip causes, those worries don't go away after 30+ trips, Am I covered if something goes wrong? etc.

Firstly you have got a winter sports insurance (you will have to read the small print) which should cover you for all the major costs including mountain recovery.

Secondly make sure everyone in your party has a GHIC, while this is technically not necessary if you have good insurance cover, a good insurance company will forgo the medical excess if you have this if you need to claim.

Carre Neige/ Carte Neige/ SnowRisk are the addons to a lift pass for France which are talked about most on Snowheads which give this additional cover which the pisteurs can scan from your pass which tells them that they can recover you without asking who you are. It is not essential and I don't think anyone has been left on the mountain because they can't prove they're insured.

The Carte Neige etc addons are designed more for French skiers who ski when not on holiday and would not have travel insurance to cover them.

Italy is a little different and I'm sure an expert will be along soon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I checked with Nationwide (similar - the insurance is with a paid for bank account) they said that whilst it doesn't mention mountain recovery specifically it does cover rescue service fees to take you to hospital so it would be covered.

For peace of mind I would just contact them (by chat if possible) ask the question and then you would have it in writing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If I book with Crystal is this automatically added in to the lift pass?

No. Crystal has a mainly UK clientel who they ask you to confirm that you have winter sport insurance on booking. If you have that you will not need the extra insurance offered with the lift pass. This extra insurance is mainly to allow French/ Italian/Austrian residents to be evacuated from the hill as they will not normally have cover for this but will have cover for subsequent medical treatment.

If you want to pay for this extra insurance then call into the lift pass office with your lift pass and buy it.

Oh! I hope you enjoy your first international ski trip.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is all great info everyone, so helpful, thanks!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lilaclou, the GHIC advice is important. If you don't already have them, they are FREE - don't fall for scam sites which raise a small charge.

Your bank insurance will not cover off piste skiing but I imagine you won't be doing any of that on a first holiday.

Check that your travel insurance covers third party claims - my bank insurance does. This is compulsory in Italy and highly important everywhere.

Rescue services in resorts in Europe are very good - they will look after you. If you have the bad luck to be rescued you might have to pay up front with a credit card, then recover from your insurance - as long as you have a card with a decent credit limit, should be fine.

Getting lift passes with your holiday booking might save one more bit of unfamiliar hassle!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For Italy you can buy additional insurance with your ski pass from Snowcare for about €3 per day. It appears to cover rescue and medical expenses but best check all the small print to see to what extent/ limits.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Origen, hi yes got GHICs for me and the kids and all in date. Yes bank insurance has liability included. I might get the lift pass insurance when there too, just in case, I think it’s about €3 a day pp from what I can see, might make things easier to deal with in the moment if something does go wrong (I’m just a bit cautious as I’ll be on my own with the kids)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also have NatWest cover which is fairly basic but I will add the Snowcare policy once in resort so please let me know if you spot any concerning gaps in cover.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect I've got the same bank insurance (RBS / NatWest) and that definitely covers all the skiing stuff you'd do in resort (covers off piste within resort, not that you'll need it but my worry when I first went what if I accidentally ended up off piste then crashed).

The way I've understood the lift pass insurance in France is that it just eases things if you did have an accident. No one would be arsed whether you're insured or asking for card details etc. Given it's cheaper than a coffee a day I went for it for peace of mind even though I know my insurance would have covered me ultimately.

I don't know Italy but my only advice would be not to stress too much. Your bank insurance is the right one for what you need. It'll get you out of bother if you get into anything which is the main thing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A potential advantage of the insurance you buy with the lift pass is that showing it to the piste rescuers will mean they take you straight off the mountain with no further questions, including by helicopter if needed.

In many places they may still do that if you don't have it. But at some point you will need to either show them your insurance details (which won't be in the local language), and/or contact your insurance company's claims line yourself, and/or provide a credit card. Possibly paying something in advance and reclaiming from your insurer later.

If you then need treatment at a medical centre or hospital you will need to go through the same thing anyway. (The lift pass cover will just get you off the mountain). So make sure you (and everyone in your party if you split up) have your insurance details with you when skiing; it is no good if it is back in your accommodation. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ecureuil, thank you, excellent advice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only been rescued once in my skiing career - hit from behind by a skier who just skied off leaving me on the ground with a dislocated shoulder, a 12 year old son a 7 year old who was skiing with us. The piste was deserted. Eventually a ski school class came by and the instructor wirelessed the piste patrol, who arrived and blood wagoned me to the medical centre. No one asked for any insurance details. I was simply told to come in the next day to collect my skis and pay both the doctor and the rescue. I paid by card and claimed back of my insurance who kept their excess and another amount by using their own £-€ exchange rate. I needed an operation later to repair the rotator cuff ligaments (done in a few weeks by the NHS), but paying for and checking insurance was trivial and all done in kindness and good nature

My wife was also once blood wagoned off on another occaision. She also was never asked anything about insurance just asked to pay later.
snow conditions
A question for those that use bank/credit card travel insurance (e.g. Amex)- Given they always (as far as I've seen) say they don't cover pre-existing conditions, how can it be usable when insurers state that anything must be declared?

So for example if you go to the GP, get antibiotics for a week, then this would have to be declared as a pre-exisitng condition (even though its not exactly what most people would think of as one).

In that instance, does that mean they would then withdraw coverage and if so, wouldn't that mean virtually no-one can ever be covered?

Or does bank travel insurance take a different view to traditional travel insurance and they simply exclude some long term conditions?
ski holidays
vjmehra wrote:
A question for those that use bank/credit card travel insurance (e.g. Amex)- Given they always (as far as I've seen) say they don't cover pre-existing conditions, how can it be usable when insurers state that anything must be declared?

So for example if you go to the GP, get antibiotics for a week, then this would have to be declared as a pre-exisitng condition (even though its not exactly what most people would think of as one).

In that instance, does that mean they would then withdraw coverage and if so, wouldn't that mean virtually no-one can ever be covered?

Or does bank travel insurance take a different view to traditional travel insurance and they simply exclude some long term conditions?

You can ring them and add on pre existing conditions. Depending what it is, might not cost anything (e.g. my mild asthma).

If it's something serious where they wouldn't want to cover it then there's potential that they cover you for other stuff but not related to that. So, if you had Asthma and you broke your leg they'd cover you but not if you had an asthma attack.
snow report
When we phoned the bank account insurer about a pre-existing condition the conclusion was that we weren't covered for any health claims at all. YMMV.
snow report
@ecureuil, that was how I understood the T&C's, which is what confused me, as it must be fairly rare for no-one on a policy to visit a GP for even a minor condition within a 12 month period.
snow conditions
This is technical, where’s @Ned Ryerson?
snow conditions
I had to call up the bank travel insurance for a different holiday about a year ago to declare pre existing conditions and just had to pay an extra premium to cover things. Same with husband who’d had concussion. I now make sure I call up before any trip and declare anything; it’s just not worth not being covered.
latest report
The extra local insurance for Pila is not covered when buying lift pass direct with Crystal. You can buy it yourself as an add on via https://help.24hassistance.com/hc/it/articles/6768472143634-Snowcare-Valle-d-Aosta for a couple of € daily per person.

I didn’t have it when I had an accident in 2022 so paid up direct before leaving resort (€160) for piste rescue & helicopter down to Aosta then claimed back via insurance.

This does not negate the need for proper snow sports insurance & a valid GHIC/EHIC which should cover everything else as i know you understand.
latest report
vjmehra wrote:

Both of mine have a long list of pre-existing conditions that they happily cover. Routine minor infections are generally not an issue unless they are not resolved at time of travel. With Amex platinum, that’s it - you can’t get additional cover, but the base cover is quite generous. With Barclaycard there’s an option to declare and pay an additional premium for further conditions.
ski holidays
If in doubt, declare it. And no, "bank" insurance is no different from any other travel insurance. You'd be an idiot not to declare something which might be relevant. The questions asked are usually quite straightforward.

I would have thought that lots of youngish families won't have visited a GP in the previous 12 months.

If you have a relevant pre-existing condition, and particularly if you are awaiting some sort of treatment which might mean cancelling your holiday, they'll need to know about that, and if it increases their risk, they'll charge extra. Which is perfectly reasonable - they exist only to make a profit, not as a safety net for travellers!
snow report
vjmehra wrote:

I told nationwide all my pre-existing and they charge me £56 per year (was £68 but my hips are now both +3 yrs old)

As well as 2 metal hips I also have other longer term med conditions so I reckon it’s excellent value.
ski holidays
Based on a heli-evac a couple of years ago, there are a couple of point I’d make. First, each have your GHIC on you - yes, I know it’s obvious, but it’s easy to leave it behind in the melée of preparing to go out. It can streamline the admission process if you’re on your own and subsequently saves various to-ings and fro-ings when processing the claim.

Second thing is to appreciate the logistics if someone is helicoptered off: there’s usually no room for passengers, so the injured party will arrive at A&E on their own, ahead of anyone else. Those left behind will have to get back to their accommodation, change and will probably want/need to get to the hospital. Have a think about the various scenarios just so that you all know what’s going to happen, and can be calm and clear about who does what.

Finally, if someone is injured there's a natural inclination to minimise the consequences and hope for the best. But you shouldn’t hesitate to call on the pisteurs to help, or seek medical advice. Initial adrenaline can subside and even for a less serious fall, can mean you feel really bad after a while. And anyone who is concussed should get checked, even if it theyre back on their feet and seem alert. Much better to get looked at sooner, rather than later, even if it’s going to be a faff getting to the medical centre for an appointment, or the pisteurs decide they need to go down in a body bag.
latest report
@skimummk, Nationwide are changing their travel insurance supplier soon.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, going to Aviva from 1st April I think, yet to find out costs as medical extension is valid until 30th.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If in doubt, declare it. And no, "bank" insurance is no different from any other travel insurance. You'd be an idiot not to declare something which might be relevant. The questions asked are usually quite straightforward.

I would have thought that lots of youngish families won't have visited a GP in the previous 12 months.

If you have a relevant pre-existing condition, and particularly if you are awaiting some sort of treatment which might mean cancelling your holiday, they'll need to know about that, and if it increases their risk, they'll charge extra. Which is perfectly reasonable - they exist only to make a profit, not as a safety net for travellers!

The wording is very different, most travel insurers say you must declare (obviously) any conditions etc.

Bank travel insurance seems to always say pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is a very different thing.

But it sounds like from what people say here, the reality may be different, so that is quite interesting, may be worth exploring the Amex angle again!
snow conditions
Based on a recent experience in the Dolomites.... Piste rescue, helicopter, 5 nights in hospital. Total bill €5 (for a copy of a scan on a cd).
Please do your own research but I'm pretty sure that the Carabinieri run free piste rescue and you only require 3rd party insurance. This obviously doesn't cover belongings and travel but it is equivalent to a free carte neige.
snow conditions
I don't think it's that different, @vjmehra. If you "declare" conditions which might have a bearing on the risk they are taking on, they are likely to decline cover or charge extra, I think everyone should assume that pre-existing conditions are NEVER covered on travel insurance unless they have been specifically declared. For example, if you had a severe asthma attack which turned into a full scale emergency, they might wash their hands of you.

The bank insurance I have (Nationwide) doesn't provide cover "free" over a certain age. I pay extra for my great age AND extra for my pre-existing condition. I have 6 prescribed drugs. Several hundred pounds.
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@skimummk, Nationwide are changing their travel insurance supplier soon.

Yes, got an email yesterday which freaked me out till I realised it said it would affect me from 25th Jan 2025
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Based on a recent experience in the Dolomites.... Piste rescue, helicopter, 5 nights in hospital. Total bill €5 (for a copy of a scan on a cd).
Please do your own research but I'm pretty sure that the Carabinieri run free piste rescue and you only require 3rd party insurance. This obviously doesn't cover belongings and travel but it is equivalent to a free carte neige.

Are you saying you didn't have insurance and it only cost 5 Euros?
snow report
It was a friend who I was skiing with and he did have insurance but wasn't charged for any of his rescue or care.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy