Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nice catch!

Poster: A snowHead
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/good-catch-video-shows-rescue-from-whistler-chairlift-1.6782981

https://www.nsnews.com/highlights/hero-skier-saves-the-day-in-mid-week-drama-at-whistler-8359768
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After some recent discussions on chairlift safety bars, I’ve got to ask how fast do Canadian lifts move?
Quote:
Unfortunately, we didn’t even get a chance to get the bar down before this started to happen,”

I think I can forgive all those bits of child-restraint they fit to modern chair-lifts over here
Quote:
adding the awkward angle of having to hold onto the boy without having a safety bar to grasp made it impossible for her to lift him back into his seat, as she had to use her right arm to hold on to the back of the chair.

But maybe just avoid sharing a lift with other people’s kids?

And still wondering about the timing of this…
Quote:
“The fact that we didn’t have the bar down, both myself reaching the boy and the other child between us, we were both at risk of slipping ourselves, because we just didn’t have anything to hold against,” she explained.

Never having seen anything more than a single ski fall off a European chairlift, do right-pondian lifties have these “deceleration devices” to hand?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just put the bar down.

Here endeth the lesson.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In La Molina last week, the lifties were stopping the lift if you didn't have the bar down by the first pylon!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@garfy1971, same in Les Gets a couple of weeks ago. We had only gone about 5 meters from the lift station before the call came to pull it down! We were about to do it, but they were keen we did it immediately that we sat down!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I assume the chair was stopped in order for the drop-n-catch...yet still, while sat there watching someone fall off the chair in front of them the bar's still up on the following chair?!?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmycb5 wrote:
Just put the bar down.

Here endeth the lesson.

My impression was that the bar hadn't come down because “We were a little bit discombobulated getting onto the chair..."

I was there for 2 weeks at the start of this month and not once did the bar not come down or any reluctance to do so. Nor did I see any other chairs with the bar up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A child who's been shoved onto a lift at the last minute could well not be ready immediately for the bar to come down - poles akimbo, etc. Sounds like poor organisation by the lift crew - should maybe have waited for the next chair!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good catch.

Saw somebody's (orange) skiboot fall off a chairlift last week.

They appeared to be loosening a painful boot.

Their toes were bordering on frostbite by the time they reached the top.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Origen wrote:
A child who's been shoved onto a lift at the last minute could well not be ready immediately for the bar to come down - poles akimbo, etc. Sounds like poor organisation by the lift crew - should maybe have waited for the next chair!

I think you might be speculating a bit there!
Have you been to Whistler (or in this case Blackcomb, specifically the Crystal chair in this case) and seen how kids load?
For kids in ski school (which I think the report said this one was), if not with the instructor they will be loading only on one side right next to the lifty, and there is a well organized line to ensure that is always the case. Instructor will have made sure anyone they load with knows the drill. The merge for kids is way before the chair and before the entry gates so very obvious who is where.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 27-02-24 23:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of course some resorts, especially in France, have the Magnestick system to magnetically secure young kids while riding on the chair. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Of course some resorts, especially in France, have the Magnestick system to magnetically secure young kids while riding on the chair. Smile

I think they may have fallen out of favour these days, haven;t seen them for quite a while.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stuarth, I agree, the merge for kids ski school is well begore the gate and was confused by the description from the woman involved in the second second link...

“They were put with us just at the very end, just as we were going through the gate. We were set to go just the two of us, and then they sent two kids with us, so we shuffled over,” Cottrell said.

Lifty must have tried to put 2 kids through at the gate as the chair wasn't full.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stuarth, that orderly description bears little relationship to what the woman concerned reported. No doubt the process is usually well organised, but this time it appears not to have been the case! Somebody appears to have made a mistake! It happens - and fortunately no harm was done.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:

There’s two chairs with this in Andorra. I’ve only seen one kid wearing the magnetic vest though.
ski holidays
garfy1971 wrote:
In La Molina last week, the lifties were stopping the lift if you didn't have the bar down by the first pylon!

Some of the chairs here have a warning alarm/flashing sign. If the camera recognises that the bar isn’t down both start going off.
latest report
Having lifties organising the load for punters may have shown its limits in this story.

In modern systems the lift automatically stops if the bar isn't down, way before you're too high to jump.

The bar also auto raises, which I still find hard to adapt too - but at least it means some overstressed tourist isn't raising it super early without consideration for your 6yo.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy