Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family of 5 - experienced - ideas on next years destination

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I am looking for ideas for next year. Family of 5 2 adults (one boarder) with 3 kids 17 / 13 / 11 all experienced and happy on most reds and blacks. We have recentrly been to Courcheval / Alpe D Huez and Andorrra. Looking ro go next year to Alps France/Italy/Austria (not half term) in February or March. Can anyone recommend somewhere with inexpensive halfbaoard accommodation, ski in out is nice but to keep costs sensible I dont mind staying lower down and getting a gondola up to the slopes. Plan would be to fly then bus / train to resort. I have used Crystal alot and also done it seperately myself, It seems last minute deals with Crystal can be good? Any suggestions welcome, thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@surferireland, I suspect the absence of responses is because you don't give us much clue as to what sort of skiing you enjoy, as opposed to what your ability is.

For example, if you all relished the huge mileage of the Three Valleys then obvious suggestions would be Paradiski in France, or the Sella Ronda in Italy, or the big pass Austrian resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
j b wrote:
@surferireland, I suspect the absence of responses is because you don't give us much clue as to what sort of skiing you enjoy, as opposed to what your ability is.

For example, if you all relished the huge mileage of the Three Valleys then obvious suggestions would be Paradiski in France, or the Sella Ronda in Italy, or the big pass Austrian resorts.

Would all of those tick the inexpensive HB accommodation requirement? Post pandemic my experience is of very significant hotel price hikes, in part to get staff willing to work in hospitality.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@surferireland, I held off replying because I don’t really have the experience of the type of trip you are asking about.
Mrs JHS does not ski which means that over the years I have taken 4 children alone. I have found in my experience that self catering has worked best. That is not to say doing a lot of cooking myself. But the money saved on a hotel gives a lot of scope for eating out.
Ski Welt would probably suit very well. Some resorts in the Ski Welt are more accessible by train but Ellmau is good as there is the Kaiserbad Leisure Centre as well as a lot of suitable terrain.
Dolomites would suit. But maybe avoid Fasching Carnevale week. Fly to Verona / Milan / Bergamo or similar and hire an estate car.
I know. This does not fit at all with your original requests, but it is what has worked for me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for the suggestions much appreciated Eh oh! , I'll get a closer look tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Be aware that the French "half term" holidays stretch over 4 weeks, from second week of February to first week of March. First week of February or second week of March would be good timing. If cost is a major consideration driving will be cheaper for 5 people, if you have a family-sized vehicle. Yes, self-catering will be much cheaper. Being able to have breakfast, snacks, tea, coffee, alcohol, at supermarket prices saves a packet, even if you eat out in the evenings. If you go to France, mid-March would be ideal.

In France, Paradiski is one obvious option.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Thuile , Italy doesn’t get overly affected by Feb Holidays on the Italian side , much better value than France but still good access to a fairly large cross border lift system with the option if day to trip to Courmayuer . I’m a bit like a broken record about La Thuile at the moment but I really do think it’s an excellent place alternative from France for a family holiday especially during school hols . Good snow record too
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In terms of what we are looking for

1. Aiming to keep the following to a minimum - ski hire (usually €100 pp) / lift pass / airport to resort transfer costs & accommodation - would consider self catering or halfboard
2. Not massively fussy about destination want decent snow with sufficent scope for a weeks skiing / boarding.
2. We like to make the first lift in the morning and last at the end of the day - family are very fit, hardy and active.
3. Do like to have a drink or lunch on the mountain but do not care about apres ski.
4. Coming from Ireland so driving isnt really realistic as ferry costs are huge. Flights from Dublin tend to be good value.
5. Am flexible on when as we are going to pull them from school for this one (its frowned upon but no fines here).

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Thuile came out top or near top when the Telegraph rated a long list of resorts for lower cost (an article earlier this season).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@surferireland, I always hear plenty of Irish voices in La Thuile so must be easy to do should be worth checking out ,tour ops etc , flights to Turin 1.5 hr away .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been looking at La Thuile this morning it ticks all the boxes thanks for the advice. Would yous recommend late January or early March for this one?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@surferireland, sorry, wasn't paying attention when I suggested driving. But you might find renting a car is competitive with transfers. Car rental is cheap from Italian airports and Turin is an easy drive to La Thuile.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surferireland wrote:
Been looking at La Thuile this morning it ticks all the boxes thanks for the advice. Would yous recommend late January or early March for this one?

I'd go early March, weather often a bit better. La Thuile is a great place to ski but can get a bit cool and breezy, good snow when I've been in March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@surferireland,
If early March I'd still recommend avoiding the French school holidays.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tignes gives you loads of options for reasonable Self Catering and you've got the whole Tignes / Val D'Isere area to play in. Everything from low down tree routes to glacier riding.

Les Arcs also a great shout. We stayed in one of the Aparthotels in 1800 a few years back and that was the best of both worlds. B&B but full kitchen in the apartment so hotel breakfast but supermarket snacks and the option to either eat in, go to the hotel restaurant or head out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy