Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

magnetic ski rack

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I need to carry some skis on my car. I'm thinking about using a magnetic ski rack, but I have some questions about how It works.

Could someone help me to clarify the following doubts ?

* Can I drive with a magnetic ski rack when it rains or snows ?

* How fast can I drive with a magnetic skis rack ?

* Is it safe to carry skis on a magnetic ski rack ?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on personal experience...

Rain / snow - no issue.
Speed - normal speeds, there's a bit more wind noise but I've driven on motorways at 130kmh.
Safe - seems to be, they've never budged. The racks I used had a plastic toggle on a strap that you wedge into the door as you close it to give you a bit of extra security, but they didn't move.

All that said, I get why you're worried Smile I was sceptical, but they seemed fine with 4 pairs of skis on.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great, thanks for your response.

I'm thinking to buy this magnetic ski rack -> https://www.tradeinn.com/snowinn/en/menabo-aconcagua-2020-ski-carrier-adapter/137917233/p?queryID=314c603892615cd47fac6c9066b807a2&buscador_search.
Someone has tried It ?
Could someone recommend a model of magnetic ski rack that works well and is cheap?

Thanks in advance
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have one from Decathlon, it is over 10 years old now.

https://www.decathlon.fr/p/mp/menabo/porte-skis-magnetique-menabo-igloo-pour-2-paires-de-skis/_/R-p-03d12f9d-8ef5-459c-9182-fa6c5616e493?mc=03d12f9d-8ef5-459c-9182-fa6c5616e493_c1

The magnetism gets a bit weaker with age but still seems ok at legal speeds. Have to put a postit on the car if my son drives to remind him of what the speed limit is.

Clean the magnetic base and roof of your car before you put it on.

other than that what sah says above

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 26-02-24 16:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you very much, I have a Decathlon near my house, I'm going to see if they have that model.

In my case, my daughters are too young to drive so I won't have that problem, Smile .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jordiporto, …the note about cleaning both car and mag surface is really vital - bit of grit = large scratch
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@valais2, and the magnets pick up metal particles
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidof What do you mean that magnets collect metal particles ?, Can magnetic ski rack spoil the car paint ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jordiporto wrote:
@davidof What do you mean that magnets collect metal particles ?, Can magnetic ski rack spoil the car paint ?

I've never had an issue but I've pulled mine out of the garage after a summer and one had a tack stuck to the base, if you put it on the roof without noticing it will leave a dent and not stick securely. You just need to give them a brush, wipe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the clarification, I'm going to clean the car roof and the magnetic ski rack before installing it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't work on my car (aluminium roof). My mate has some but also has some damage to the roof where they have been. Whether he hasn't disengaged the magnets correctly I don't know but the damage is there to see.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chris_n, yes that seems to a common experience …
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy