Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you service your skis?

Poster: A snowHead
General consensus really - do you do it every trip/year or something else?

I last had mine serviced before covid in 2020, we did a week in VT.

Wondering if I ought to get them done again before the next trip (march) or not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me: very week minimum; every couple of days if conditions warrant.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When they need it? Weekly on average. Note that this will usually be waxing and edge tuning done by me. No where near a shop or a grinder. My dryslope skis get done hourly!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Every 2-10 days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
massively depends on conditions, how blunt the edges are, how "grey" the bases look, but if you've not had them done since 2020 at a minimum they'd need a fresh wax I reckon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks - will probably have to get them done in resort on day 1 when I get there, as nearest shop for me is 2hr drive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@P17hae,

main routine = waxing and a quick sharpen
every so often = hand tune

None of this is really complex - get some tuition and you can do it in minutes.

Waxing is really simple - use proper iron, crayon on wax, then hot wax, then scrape and brush - easy to do, takes 10 mins - often done every few days depending on snow conditions

Usually at the same time, quick pass with a fine file and diamond - but that needs 88 or 89 guide, clamp, surgical spirit and water spray, files and some experience.

When needed - we do it 4-5 times a season - proper hand edge tune - same as above but with more files.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:
@P17hae,

main routine = waxing and a quick sharpen
every so often = hand tune

None of this is really complex - get some tuition and you can do it in minutes.

Waxing is really simple - use proper iron, crayon on wax, then hot wax, then scrape and brush - easy to do, takes 10 mins - often done every few days depending on snow conditions

I know it’s simple - what I lack is the kit! Which I did have and have misplaced in a series of house moves since Covid.. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2, whats the surgical spirit for?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, first-aid when you burn yourself? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@valais2, whats the surgical spirit for?

It used to just be a cold beer but maybe times are tough?? Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobski62 wrote:
For me: very week minimum; every couple of days if conditions warrant.

same
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, ...simple...it's a 50/50 surgical spirit and distilled water mix which you give a couple of squirts to the edge when you run a diamond file down - essentially a cutting fluid which preserves the diamond file.

In a bottle like this:

https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/i/cole-parmer-essentials-fine-mist-spray-bottle-pet-8-oz/7890090

@blacksheep, ...yep feels that way...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@P17hae, ...ah...I see....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
About every 6-8 weeks on average.
ski holidays
When the holes in the bases get too conspicuous.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, good point - waxing and edging regularly are one thing (well two actually) but hole filling is another...drip drip drippety drip.....and the op ‘servicing’ indeed should include that...

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/news-and-blogs/how-to-repair-your-ski-base

Not the best video but the one which came to hand....
ski holidays
Wax is done every 2nd day. Edge work, every 7 - 10 days. I am on skis 50 days a season, so they see alot more snow time and wear and tear than the typical poster here Happy
latest report
Before the start of the season (just wax) and after each week (repair/edge/wax) because:
a) I can't be arsed to take all the kit on holiday with me/find somewhere to use it.
b) It means they are ready to go for the next trip.
c) Post one trip is just the start of the build-up to the next trip.
ski holidays
@P17hae, as you've seen already there is a massive disparity in what people do!

Like @Mjit as I don't want to take the kit or take time out of my holiday evenings I do it between our week long trips (usually 2 a season for us).

Probably a tad longer between services than ideal but close enough.
latest report
Why are people waxing their skis so much? Edges absolutely - it makes a big difference to my skiing, particularly on hard pack or ice. I might diamond file every couple of days if it's bullet proof and I'm mostly on piste and maybe every week or two if it's soft and I'm not. But wax?? Critical for racing, but makes little difference otherwise. I wax when the bases look dry or I'm sliding slower than the people I'm skiing with. But that's rarely more often than every couple of weeks. Think the same is true for most instructors.
snow report
@turbosmurf, yes I think that’s the right way around - exception for us is artificial snow - really abrasive and a harder wax often applied does seem to be necessary …
snow conditions
@turbosmurf, yes I think that’s the right way around - exception for us is artificial snow - really abrasive and a harder wax often applied does seem to be necessary …
latest report
Usually when I bring my skis home at the end of the season they get a full going over (with the exception of a base grind) so let's say every 20-30 days. Sometimes if the snow is really firm I'll sharpen the edges while I'm in the resort as a file guide and fine file are not too much bother to pack in the luggage. Rarely wax them thoughout the season, but every now and then I'll take them into the shop for a service. With the exception of the end of season service everything is based upon inspection. As an aside my skis tend to last about 200 days before they are irrepairable damaged.
snow report
turbosmurf wrote:
Why are people waxing their skis so much?

1. The wax itself to do a pair of skis isn't very expensive so if you have the iron and scrapers, why not?
2. I find the whole process quite therapeutic and it gets me off the sofa for a bit.
ski holidays
Quote:

1. The wax itself to do a pair of skis isn't very expensive so if you have the iron and scrapers, why not?

The mess it creates. I do not wish to drop wax onto the apartment carpet. Steel filings can be vacuumed up but not wax
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The mess it creates. I do not wish to drop wax onto the apartment carpet. Steel filings can be vacuumed up but not wax

I wax outside, then bring the skis inside to cool overnight.

OFC, when my wife is not at home, its done inside Happy
ski holidays
@johnE, ..agreed re wax…I’ve become quite skilled at not dropping it on the expensive rug in the hall of the chalet (we don’t have a workshop in the chalet/shack) but not infallibly so…a simple cotton sheet doubled over works fine….
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When our French neighbour (lived near Lyon, had skied all her life) saw my OH out on the adjacent terrace, doing the skis, she asked if we did that "every year". She seemed to think it was not a regular sort of chore.
ski holidays
Once a year whether they need it or not.
latest report
I have a proper servicing bench setup in the garage, decent set of tools, and while I kinda know/feel that I should do them more often it's most likely 20-30 days of skiing between services, or shorter if there's any visible damage. Life's too short.
ski holidays
When the edges dont grip any more, the skis slide slower than my mates or when there’s a core shot so pretty rarely in reality. Would probably do it more often if piste skiing.
snow report
I had to edge my skis yesterday as I forgot to dry them properly last year and they had rust on the edges. Luckily, I needed sharp edges today due to ice at Glencoe.

I did not bother waxing them as I did that last year.

If you click on the link in my signature you will see my skis, purchased new in 2001! (still going strong in 2024)
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, ..have you considered a longer one?....
snow conditions
I only do them when I think they need it.

turbosmurf wrote:
Why are people waxing their skis so much? Edges absolutely - it makes a big difference to my skiing, particularly on hard pack or ice. I might diamond file every couple of days if it's bullet proof and I'm mostly on piste and maybe every week or two if it's soft and I'm not. But wax?? Critical for racing, but makes little difference otherwise. I wax when the bases look dry or I'm sliding slower than the people I'm skiing with. But that's rarely more often than every couple of weeks. Think the same is true for most instructors.

As I’m not skiing with the same group of people regularly, I don’t even have that guide. So, I only have them waxed when the base look beat up, which happens surprisingly often. I ski off-piste in the forest quite regularly. Every so often, I scrape thinly covered rocks! Shocked Then, it’s both edge work and wax needed.
latest report
I ski a lot of spring slush as we go away every Easter for two weeks. So whilst I don't do much of edging on my wide resort skis as I like drifting them around in such conditions. I find myself waxing them a lot. All. The. Time. Nothing like sugary slush and failing to ski skis on edge to strip the wax off them quickly.

New slush/resort powder skis arrive soon, as the bindings on my old Preachers are shot, and they have been redrilled enough that i cant really do it again. And they are 10 years old, well used, and battered. Going to try the DPS Phantom base treatment on their replacements, see if I can avoid wax hassle.

On the SL skis, that I use on frozen spring mornings and non-slushy full piste days, I edge them after every week of skiing, but dont wax them as much as the slush/powder skis. I ski them in a totally different way.

My deep powder skis were serviced in 2018. Haven't had a European deep day since then, when I left the mountains and returned to Blighty. They have sat in the garage for years - i am in fact reusing their bindings for my new skis, as they have barely been used. Have had a few N.American deep days, but have rented skis for those.
ski holidays
Bloody slushy on the lower runs in Amadé, had to get a wax job last night to get the planks running smooth again.
They are nice again now Eh oh!
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Before the start of the season (just wax) and after each week (repair/edge/wax) because:
a) I can't be arsed to take all the kit on holiday with me/find somewhere to use it.
b) It means they are ready to go for the next trip.
c) Post one trip is just the start of the build-up to the next trip.

+ 1
ski holidays
Based on my trips so far this year - can anyone recommend a good wax for grass?
latest report
@Mjit,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy