Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila - beginner/newbie help please?

Poster: A snowHead
Lilaclou wrote:
@BlueSky, I’ve been chatting to my 14 yo who has been skiing for a week with school. She’s said she thinks there won’t be enough blue runs for her and might get bored. I don’t think she’s right but thought I’d ask? I know there are only a few blues and more reds, but I think she’ll progress onto some of the reds during the week (she did a few when she went with school). Are there some reds that are perhaps a little easier? If so, she’ll be happy with that I think. I don’t want a large resort as it will be too overwhelming for me and 10 yr old, so I think I need to prioritise that this time around.

Looking at the piste map I can see what your daughter is worried about, but please reassure her that there is more than enough skiing for her level for a week. There are some really quite challenging blues (as mentioned above) in addition to the nice easy ones, and then reds that range from incredibly easy (would be a blue apart from one narrow steeper section) to what used to be the steepest red run in Europe (red 3). Not to mention the possibility of a black run if she gets on particularly well and snow conditions are good. And the snow park, and loads of little forest paths that are great fun, etc etc etc. By the middle of her second week I'd expect her to easily progress onto reds and possibly beyond by the end of the week, so she definitely won't be limited to only the blues. Put it this way - aside from teaching there, I've spent the majority of 4-5 seasons skiing there, and there are still bits I haven't fully explored. And it's not like you get bored of a run just because you've skied it once. She'll be fine. Go for it!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If she's in ski school for a week (which I'd say is vital), the instructor will make sure they cover the right ground. If a 14 year old who has done one week on a school trip is "bored" with skiing in Pila, then she's bored with life.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had another chat at bedtime, I think she’s been talking to some friends at school and they’ve said to her ‘France is better, go there instead, it’s too small’. We’ve talked about how they’re much more experienced skiers (and more financially set up!) than we are and she agrees it is a good plan for us and our circumstances. I know she’ll be fine, just a shame the friends have made her doubt things!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good for you, @Lilaclou. You've made a great choice and hopefully she'll have a ball. Booking ski lessons with whichever ski school Crystal is using might give her a better chance of having other kids from the group, perhaps same hotel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lilaclou wrote:
We had another chat at bedtime, I think she’s been talking to some friends at school and they’ve said to her ‘France is better, go there instead, it’s too small’. We’ve talked about how they’re much more experienced skiers (and more financially set up!) than we are and she agrees it is a good plan for us and our circumstances. I know she’ll be fine, just a shame the friends have made her doubt things!

She'll have the last laugh sending pictures of her sumptuous bargain lunches and sub $2 coffees whist her friends in France and munching on a dry ham baguettes.
Pila is a super "little" resort and feels a lot bigger than it is. Ideal for beginners, improvers and good skiers alike. There are plenty of route options off each lift. You don't have the "if want to get over to this part I have to ski that shitty icy steep bit" that you get with some resorts. Plus is you are in different lesson groups etc its fairly straight forward to meet up after and find stuff you're all happy with skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BlueSky, I don't think the fun little forest paths will be on the agenda...off piste and no insurance

@Lilaclou, I think you've made a great call. 14 year old who know everything eh?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lilaclou wrote:
... she’s been talking to some friends at school and they’ve said to her ‘France is better, go there instead'....

Clearly potential recruits to Snowheads! This forum often sees people answer a query about a resort by suggesting somewhere else entirely.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
@BlueSky, I don't think the fun little forest paths will be on the agenda...off piste and no insurance

pisted / marked tracks actually so all fine. quite a lot of tree lined skiing in Pila.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Exactly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lilaclou wrote:

There's also no fun in going to a massive resort, seeing mile upon mile of mega runs up above you whilst you're stuck in ski school learning the basics and getting a few smaller runs in (which are so knackering when you're learning).

A small resort is a great shout. It'll be more than big enough to get the bug......THEN it gets expensive (although at least you've kids to sell to fund your upcoming addiction Shocked )

EDIT: Not that Pila looks that small. There looks plenty to keep even reasonably decent skiers entertained for a week if the snow is decent.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes I’m not sure about the snow situation. There looks to be some snow arriving this week, and all looks fine currently. I’m just not clued up about whether that means there will still be enough decent stuff there in 3 weeks (I know nobody knows the answer to what the weather will bring!) but I’m thinking it’s north facing which should help?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sure it'll be fine for beginner stuff. You're not going to be hard carving or doing steep stuff. So long as it's white you'll be good.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@paulhinch, yep all we need is some snow, nothing fancy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's some good skiing in Pila, not by any means just "beginner stuff". It's impossible to know what snow will be like anywhere in 3 weeks, but Pila has a good record. And it's ideal to be in ski school, as instructors will find the best places.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lilaclou, you'll be fine snow wise. There was very little new snow for the whole of Feb and March when we were there, and we were still skiing most of the runs above the gondola at the end of March. As @Origen says, your instructors will know the best spots.
ski holidays
It might get busier from the Thursday, for example the school holidays of Valle d’Aosta and Piedmont start that day.
latest report
Lilaclou wrote:
Yes I’m not sure about the snow situation. There looks to be some snow arriving this week, and all looks fine currently. I’m just not clued up about whether that means there will still be enough decent stuff there in 3 weeks (I know nobody knows the answer to what the weather will bring!) but I’m thinking it’s north facing which should help?

There's about a metre or so of snow forecast for the Aosta valley this weekend, which is a big dump by any standard (and way more than is forecast for a lot of the french resort you can point out to daughters friends!), on top of what has already fallen earlier this week. Most of Pila's skiing is over 2000m and faces north, so even it is snows no further, which is unlikely, its going to be pretty decent skiing conditions anyway, baring some very unlikely heatwave / melting event.
snow report
Appreciate v much everyone’s help and advice on this thread. I’ve now booked, Pila staying at Etoile de Neige. Hoping we can get good enough to actually ski back to the hotel without issue! I’ll let everyone know how we get on!
latest report
Appreciate v much everyone’s help and advice on this thread. I’ve now booked, Pila staying at Etoile de Neige. Hoping we can get good enough to actually ski back to the hotel without issue! I’ll let everyone know how we get on!
snow conditions
@Lilaclou, not sure how I missed this thread when you first posted but can I only agree with what others have said: I think you've chosen the perfect resort for you and your daughter. Plus there's currently tonnes of snow, which should set it up perfectly for your trip. (I was there around the same time as @ElzP and as she said, the pistes were great despite a very dry winter that year.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy