Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got any advice for an old newbie?

Poster: A snowHead
So, just had a few days on the piste - my first time in 12 years.
I've only ever dabbled in skiing so opted for a few private lessons.
I'm getting on in my years, so aren't fussed about bombing down any slopes, I just want to have enough confidence to ski any piste; blue or red.

The slopes were incredibly slushy, but I was able to link my snowplough turns and control my speed.
Howvever, whilst progressing to paralell turns my inside ski just never seemed to want to play ball - staying in the snow plough position.

I got my son to film my technique, which is comically stiff Laughing Laughing Laughing so any and all advice is very welcome - I want to hit the indoor slopes asap and just practice practice practice.
Instinctively i'd say my legs are way too straight, which is preventing me from planting that outside ski down... the instructor kept making that point during the lesson (you know that aeroplane thing)

Cheers all!

http://youtube.com/v/O4OAO_QCwhs
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When you say getting on, what are we talking about?
I learnt to snow plough as a teenager but never skied again until I was 45.
As long as you enjoyed yourself, you’re a winner
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're doing fine! My inexpert observation is that you're leaving too much weight on that inside ski, so it stays stuck fast. Look at 0.23 If you go to an indoor slope, I'd suggest you have a lesson as it's very easy for "practice to make permanent".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Sim75,
As I said a moment ago, welcom to Snowheads.
So that is Seefeld then, looks ideal to learn.
So how old are you then?
You seem to be managing fine for 2nd day.. You are having lessons which is the best way to move forward.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haha - nudging 50.
The resort town is unquestionably stunning, and annoyingly got a huge dump of fresh snow today - 2 days after we came back!
Would definetely go back.

We managed the first exit on the Gschwandtkopf, but the short run back to the bar is more like a red in steepness, not helped by patches of sheet ice!
So might look at another resort next time that allows for longer greens back to the beer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sim75 wrote:
I got my son to film my technique, which is comically stiff
This is the main thing stopping you moving on from a plough to matching your skis so they are parallel.

At the moment you have your weight spread equally across both skis. In order to move towards parallel skiing you need to balance more effectively on the outside ski (which is the one downhill at the end of the turn). When you are able to do this, the inside ski will become much lighter and will start to move in to parallel, mostly without much effort on your part. The best way to move more of your weight/balance on to the outside ski is to stretch/extend your leg at the beginning on the turn. Then to keep most of your weight/balance on this ski until you have finished making that turn, at which point you extend the other leg to move your weight/balance on to the new outside ski. As your lateral balance improves you'll find that your skis will start to match parallel before the turn is complete, and with practice and a bit more speed the skis will match parallel earlier and earlier in the turn. Just keep focusing on good balance on your outside ski, and try to ignore what the inside ski is doing for the time being.

As a general observation, you took quite a direct line down that slope. Try "finishing the turn" a bit more, especially if you are skiing on something a little bit steeper. Your snowplough was pretty good, so it's a solid foundation to build from. You just need a bit of help in how to move on...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 23-02-24 21:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sim75, nudging 50 makes you a youngster around here
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Sim75 wrote:
I got my son to film my technique, which is comically stiff
This is the main thing stopping you moving on from a plough to matching your skis so they are parallel.

At the moment you have your weight spread equally across both skis. In order to move towards parallel skiing you need to balance more effectively on the outside ski (which is the one downhill at the end of the turn). When you are able to do this, the inside ski will become much lighter and will start to move in to parallel, mostly without much effort on your part. The best way to move more of your weight/balance on to the outside ski is to stretch/extend your leg at the beginning on the turn. Then to keep most of your weight/balance on this ski until you have finished making that turn, at which point you extend the other leg to move your weight/balance on to the new outside ski. As your lateral balance improves you'll find that your skis will start to match parallel before the turn is complete, and with practice and a bit more speed the skis will match parallel earlier and earlier in the turn. Just keep focusing on good balance on your outside ski, and try to ignore what the inside ski is doing for the time being.

As a general observation, you took quite a direct line down that slope. Try "finishing the turn" a bit more, especially if you are skiing on something a little bit steeper. Your snowplough was pretty good, so it's a solid foundation to build from. You just need a bit of help in how to move on...

Awesome, thank you!!! Makes complete sense.
It felt like I was planting that outside ski, but unless my knees are more bent there's not much downward pressure I can give it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Origen wrote:
@Sim75, nudging 50 makes you a youngster around here

Demoralising when a 3 yr old overtakes you though huh! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would suggest using your poles more to help get your weight in the right place. (I wrote this after watching your video and before reading your instructors comment). Maybe you are trying to move too quickly from snow plough to parallel.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sim75 wrote:
It felt like I was planting that outside ski, but unless my knees are more bent there's not much downward pressure I can give it.
You're welcome. You don't need to add downward pressure as such, just think about moving your weight more effectively on to the outside ski so that ski does most of the work of the turn, and the inside ski is "light" and just comes along for the ride. Then when the turn is done, just move your weight to other ski so that one does the work on the next turn.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That is incredibly slushy you are right
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go on a development course somewhere. A lot of companies run them, often in November, on glaciers. Will take you forward eons and then you will be fine. I was a crap skier, only started mid 30s, well still am to be truthful, but deffo improved marginally after a couple of years of them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob, would you recommend the simple drill of standing between 2 chairs (for support) and shifting weight from foot to foot to increase flexibility?
I've just tried it and having the chairs slightly in front of you encourages weight forward too Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just tried it too and it feels all wrong. Standing WITHOUT chairs, shifting your weight between the front and back of the feet, and then moving to shifting it back and forth between the balls/heels of the feet, feels more useful. Anybody who needs "support" to do that should probably work on basic balance exercises before going skiing again.
ski holidays
The movement shift between having your weight on your heels (back), or on the balls of your feet (forward), is tiny.
latest report
Jude1 wrote:
Rob, would you recommend the simple drill of standing between 2 chairs (for support) and shifting weight from foot to foot to increase flexibility?
I've just tried it and having the chairs slightly in front of you encourages weight forward too Happy
If it helps people get a feel for moving their weight/balance from one foot to another, I guess so. The challenge of that kind of static drill is that you don’t have any G-forces to work with, so it’s always a contrived exercise in which one of the key components of skiing is absent. If people do use some sort of static drill caution should be employed to ensure the movements you make aren’t too quick, as we really don’t want to develop a “pop” upwards at the start of the turn, nor a vertical “up” movement (when we have g-forces to work with, out movement has more or less of a lateral component).
latest report
@Sim75, ...great to start over.

I am 66 and with many vertical feet under the belt.

I had a problem in my technique which I wish I had dealt with years ago.
I resolved it through discussion with Grom2 (superb technique) and analysis videos on YouTube.
This season much wiggling with the Grom. Much much better wiggling on ice.

Key thing I think is invest in really good coaching 1:1. RobRar a great person to try to access.
ski holidays
If that is effectively day 2 then you'll be a pro by the time you're an OAP Eh oh!

To build your confidence in 'committing' to turns and edges it's well worth focusing on your core strength before you go again, doing some knee sit things (ahainst a wall) etc.

Seefeld is great isn't it. Love the train and bubbles up top. Meant we could take our 4 year old to see where Mummy and Daddy ski!
snow report
I'm with @rob@rar on this*, trying to practise skiing while standing still is as likely to confuse you as help. It is rather like cycling, you can't show someone how to lean into a corner unless the bike is moving. The cycling analogy is helpful in another way too, trying to cycle slowly is less stable than having even a modest bit of speed - and when skiing if you don't have the centrifugal force helping your weight onto your outer ski, then you will find your inside ski becomes a problem. That is quite possibly why you find it difficult to get out of snowplough.

One of the problems I find with being older is that I try to rationalise my technique when it is all about practice not theory; in the end you need to be able to recognise the right feeling when you manage it and then work out how to consistently get that same feeling on every turn. A good instructor will find ways to get you to move in appropriate ways until you start to get that feeling and can then work on it.

[*Except that Rob is much more expert than me].
ski holidays
Sim75 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

At the moment you have your weight spread equally across both skis. In order to move towards parallel skiing you need to balance more effectively on the outside ski (which is the one downhill at the end of the turn).

*ding*
Yes, "Bend Ze Knees" is not a catchphrase for nothing. There's a slight up and down movement, which used to be more a part of the (BASI) Central Theme than it is now, but which I find can still be a useful teaching aid. You can start by holding the 'across the hill' phase longer, "completing the turn" as @Rob@Rar says, and then just gradually allowing your knees to bend (while keeping forward pressure on the boot, i.e. not by sitting down) and absorb a little of the pressure through both skis, which will also semi-automatically bring them more parallel, then as you start the next turn you're more able to extend the new outside leg, getting more pressure coming up through the ski which then makes it want to grip and turn.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy