Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Galtür Avalanche 25 Years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ago Today February 23

This was a deadly year in the European Alps.

31 people died in Galtür Village

http://youtube.com/v/Gm8YwlCIIho

http://youtube.com/v/5jgpxPYgx2U?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Galt%C3%BCr_avalanche
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RIP the victims.

I rememeber that winter almost like yesterday.

I think 170,000 tonnes of snow fell at 180mph in one minute?

We were in Hochgurgl a weeks beforehand when the endless blizzard arrived. The BBC Ceefax snow reports stated 6m snow depths on upper pistes at the likes of St Anton and Flaine. BBC Breakfast presenters talked every day to families trapped in Lech hotels, all lifts were shut with people instructed to stay indoors.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was actually in neighboring Ischgl when it happened - terrible tragedy!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me and 3 friends had arrived in Montroc a week or so before all this.I was there for a 6 week trip and they were staying for 12 weeks.And then it started snowing and didn't stop.On the day of the Montroc avalanche, in the evening my friends went across the road to ask if our friend fancied walking down to Argentiere for a couple of pints.Our chalet didn't have a TV.His did and he showed them what had happened that awful day as it was obviously all on the news.They came rushing back to me and told me.Dumbstruck, we walked approx 500 yards up the road to see the utter devastation.The army told us to go back home and wait to be collected in the morning.It was still chucking down with snow.They collected us in the morning.No snow and clear blue sky.They dropped us outside The Savoy bar in Argentiere.ITN interviewed us and then Joe the Pipe opened the bar door and said "you boys look like you need a drink, I'm off shopping, I'll be back in 4 hours, help yourselves". RIP to all who lost their lives.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were in St Anton at that time, the town was blocked off for 10 days we were there and couldn't leave - huge bund of snow which had been dozed up across the road at the Shell Station to stop people coming in/ out of the town. I recall resort and lifts were closed apart from the baby Nasserein lift and we couldn't even go hiking in Verwall due to avalanche risk from above and no traffic over the pass, police roadblocks. Never seen as much snow, no food in supermarkets and our hotel was running out of food.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, yes we were there for 2 weeks at the exact same time. It just kept on snowing for days. The lifts were completely shut on mon,tue,wed then slowly started to open on thursday. The second week was amazing though never seen so much snow. The speed they opened up town on the saturday to get people out of town was impressive. Some serious snowmoving equipment. We are in St Anton this week, conditions are good after fridays snowfall but nothing like 1999.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnS4, I was there that second week - it was my first ever ski holiday, so all that snow made for a very comfortable landing when I took a tumble (every 2 minutes).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy