Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Ins - missed departure

Poster: A snowHead
The bit which always worries me the most is getting safely to the airport in the first place. (It's a long drive for me, often motorway and/or early hours departures.)
Having read many policy documents of late, wording for cover for not making the airport in time (due to car breakdown, unusual traffic/road closure, accidents, etc) seems to vary widely, and the levels of cover are often way below what I'll have paid for a package (usually) or flight + accommodation (occasionally).
I phoned a few companies and asked how it worked; replies were mixed, some saying that if you couldn't get a replacement flight or package - assuming that you've managed to sort the car and even get to the airport! - then you got the full cancellation or abandonment payout, others saying that their liability was limited to the missed departure amount, and if you can't manage to get another flight or package out at all then any lost holiday package cost is just forfeit.
Brain is now frazzled rolling eyes

Anyone ever encountered this in real life? How did it go, what options did you have? What did the insurers do?

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never missed a departure, but sometimes by using a slight miss-reading of your thread title - travelling to the airport the night before and staying as a cheap Travel Inn or similar.

Addresses two of my personal hang-ups, the thought of missing my flight stresses me out and I also don't like getting up early Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We missed a departure several years ago from Gatwick when our train on the way to the airport broke down and sat there for 45-60 min before they could get it moving again and we got to the bag drop desk about 1 min late. We rebooked on another airline and when I rang my travel insurance about what might be covered they said nothing because we didn't allow the full required 3 hours at the airport for an international departure. And if we did allow the full 3 hours, I'm sure there would've been another clause about how there's no cover on days of the week that end in ...ay
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had someone rear end our car on the way to the airport last winter. Fortunately it was still driveable.
I summed if we had missed flight claim would have had to be against other driver?
I don't have an answer for the op but could see making a claim especially for a DIY trip being a long proses.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mjit, I just don't get to sleep for 24+ hours. We often leave at midnight to drive down for a 6 to 7am flight.
Not a good idea... Evil or Very Mad

You're right with the hotel idea, I think. Something which I'm more looking into now, if only for the most peace of mind that I can get re the journey & car.
Had a look yesterday & was surprised to find that airport hotel plus parking for 2 weeks was only about £40 more than the parking alone. (That is well in advance for 2025, mind.)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizzler wrote:

Anyone ever encountered this in real life? How did it go, what options did you have? What did the insurers do?

It all depends on why you missed your flight and whether your insurance covers that circumstance

So illness; death of a relative; etc - probably yes under cancellation reasons

Being a prat and not allowing enough time foreseeable delays / circumstances - almost certainly not.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've even done an overnight at a hotel for a very early flight from Newcastle Airport which is only 30 minutes away. Took all of the stress out of getting there, and car parking was sorted as well. It was just roll out of bed, into shower, and check in. Booked lounge access with our bank account to grab some refreshments before we boarded.
Worst was an overnight drive on an Easter weekend to Manchester for a 6am flight when we could not find a hotel room. I went to bed early, and drove there, but it was horrible, and I felt like Sh!! for a couple of days.
Rarely fly at all these days, but it would be about making it as stress-free as possible if we did.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We once stayed at an airport hotel for an early flight. 3 adults and 2 kids. Got up in the morning and the remote lock on my car wouldn't work. All the bags etc were inside. I couldn't get the safety key to work either. RAC were no use as it was too early. After about an hour and 1/2 of trying someone turned up with a tool that allowed me to grip the safety key properly and turns out it needs to be turned clockwise and then immediately anti-clockwise (no idea why)....and hey presto the car opened. We had about 20 mins before the flight closed and were 10 miles from the airport. Chaos ensued as we ran red lights and dumped the car in short stay. We made it with 1 min to spare - good on Jet2. Earliest gin and tonic I've ever had! So all good plans with staying at an airport hotel can still (almost) go wrong! PS The car had a flat battery when we got back as one of the doors was left slightly open - so the RAC had to come in the end!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Grizzler, had a breakdown on the way from Devon to Gatwick, around Stonehenge which is probably about half way.

Dad had Green Flag cover for the car and they collected the car on a flat bed and arranged for it to go back to a local garage for us. They also arranged and paid for a taxi to get us to Gatwick. We just about had enough time for that to work, but it was a nervy hour waiting for the cab. So we didn't miss the flight, but only because had a bit of time allowed for problems and his breakdown insurance were superb.

On the return dad contacted his travel insurance, they allowed us to hire a car and claim back the money. I think was all pretty smooth for him for that too. The only slight pain was that they initially only wanted to cover one day of hire and it took a bit of negotiation before they accepted that we couldn't physically return it until Monday due to the car rental place being closed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@riman8, that's very unlucky !! Our hotel was less than 100m from the check in desk, and bags were already out of the car so we didn't have to faff about going to the car park again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@riman8, my heart rate went up just reading that! Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Grizzler, my wife and kids missed a flight because the trains (in the Netherlands) were stopped due to a fire at a chemical plant near a critical junction.

After some negotiation, BA put them on the next flight. BA (and some other airlines) has what is colloquially known as a "flat tyre" clause, i.e. if you left in good time and didn't make the flight through no fault of your own - car breakdown, public transport failure etc., then it will use reasonable endeavours to put you on the next available flight.

If I have a flight before 8am, I usually stay at an on-site airport hotel. Unless it's a very nearby airport where the transport failure modes are fewer.
If I have an important client meeting/conference presentation or similar, I always fly the night before.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowdave wrote:

If I have a flight before 8am, I usually stay at an on-site airport hotel. Unless it's a very nearby airport where the transport failure modes are fewer.
If I have an important client meeting/conference presentation or similar, I always fly the night before.

I just don’t book early morning flights!

Why bother paying for a hotel the night before at the departure airport when you can stay at a hotel near the destination airport?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Why bother paying for a hotel the night before at the departure airport when you can stay at a hotel near the destination airport?

While there's a case for that there's also a case against.
- I wouldn't like to try a late flight with small children.
- If your flight's delayed you can risk hitting the hotel's last check-in time, at which point they consider you a no-show and make your room 'available' again.
- Depending on your onward journey/accomodation access time you can just end up wasting time at the other end.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For business trips, when somebody else is footing the bill for problems, it's not so bad. But for family trips this "being in time at the airport" business is a pain. Where it's a practical alternative, I prefer to drive. There seem to be so many disruptions with public transport. I was looking after kids last weekend when son and daughter in law were in France, house hunting. They were coming back by train, which was cancelled. Booked a flight, which was OK, into Gatwick but then trains back to Woking (Sunday night......) were delayed and re-routed. And a friend I was going to the theatre with on Tuesday night was bumped off a British Airways flight from Spain, flew the next day but to Heathrow, then had to get train to Gatwick to pick up her car. I'm scoping a week in Northumberland in April. Return for one person on the cheapest train (advance ticket, booked now) would cost about the same as my petrol, and on top of that I'd have to rent a car, and run the risk of more cancellations and delays. Same goes for flying - similar cost, but would have to rent a car. On the whole, I think I'll drive! I quite enjoy a road trip and won't have to second guess the weather - can throw the whole lot in the back of the car!
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, good for Green Flag! That's what I'd hoped could happen, as long as enough time is left - not that it's a great start to a trip, but at least it did get to go ahead.
ski holidays
@abc, if going tour operator, you often have no choice on flight timings (some will be later ones, too), and you get transferred over to resort once landed.

And, frankly, my nerves wouldn't stand the busy motorway drive down if it was during the day, anyway. In the depths of night, however, it's nearly a joy.
latest report
Quote:

if going tour operator, you often have no choice on flight timings

Another argument against tour operators..... and some of the options I've looked at have been flights from Stansted which, from the south coast, is simply too far away.
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
@abc, if going tour operator, you often have no choice on flight timings (some will be later ones, too), and you get transferred over to resort once landed.

And, frankly, my nerves wouldn't stand the busy motorway drive down if it was during the day, anyway. In the depths of night, however, it's nearly a joy.

I’m the other way around. I can always leave with plenty of spare time (and hang out at the airport reading). But getting up early in the morning isn’t my forte. I would ended up not able to fall to sleep.

But I do get your point about not having any option of flight time. (That’s how I learned I don’t sleep well when there’s a morning flight worry)

Mjit wrote:

- If your flight's delayed you can risk hitting the hotel's last check-in time, at which point they consider you a no-show and make your room 'available' again.

I’ve never had a booking that has a check-in deadline. But if that’s a potential, I would call the establishment and have them hold the room for late arrival (and pay for the room of course)

But a late flight does have another potential risk. If the flight is cancelled entirely, the hotel reservation is often wasted. Though typically, if the airline is responsible for the cancellation, they usually sort out a hotel for the night. So there’s no cost to the traveler. And if the cancellation is due to weather, I believe insurance pays for the waste hotel?
latest report
abc wrote:

What if there's no alternative? Or if it means that the journey the other side is screwed up? From experience, I'd far rather stay in a hotel and get an early flight than find myself getting to resort at gone midnight.
snow conditions
My Dad rocked up for an evening flight that left in the morning. TUI put them on the next flight, but he had to sort accomodation out.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

My nearest airport dont fly to every airport every day. Some only once a week.
However, I have not booked flights based on early morning returns, as I dont like the idea of being pressured into getting to an airport at silly o clock when public transport is probably not running.
latest report
abc wrote:

My nearest airport dont fly to every airport every day. Some only once a week.
However, I have not booked flights based on early morning returns, as I dont like the idea of being pressured into getting to an airport at silly o clock when public transport is probably not running.
snow report
Gored wrote:
My Dad rocked up for an evening flight that left in the morning.

Puzzled
snow report
Mjit wrote:
abc wrote:

While there's a case for that there's also a case against.
- I wouldn't like to try a late flight with small children.
- Depending on your onward journey/accomodation access time you can just end up wasting time at the other end.

You're far more likely to have a plane delay on a late flight than a car delay on an early flight. Once you get to slot 3, a decent percentage of flights are a bit late but any problems during the day can mean that slot is a nightmare (e.g. our flight back from Paris last year was delayed 5 hours, which was a joy as it was of families with young kids like us who'd been to Disneyland.....)
snow conditions
abc wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Because I get to see my kids for dinner, then go to a hotel as late as I want, giving me an extra evening with my family.

If I get it right, I can then be home before dinner the next night, and the kids don’t even know I was gone.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Gored wrote:
My Dad rocked up for an evening flight that left in the morning.

Puzzled

He thought the flight was an evening flight, when it was a morning one
latest report
One of our lodgers once thought she was flying to Africa on a holiday on the Sunday. She was packing, the day before, checked her itinerary and found to her horror that the plane left quite shortly from Gatwick - about 1.5 hours away - that day. My husband was out with our only car, and unreachable. She was in a state of panic and said she couldn't possibly drive. I phoned the tour company (it was a very expensive holiday) and assured them she was on her way, and drove her in her own car to Gatwick, dropping her off right under the terminal (I don't think you can do that, these days). She got the flight, just, and then had an enormous whisky as soon as possible after take off.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcs44 wrote:
We missed a departure several years ago from Gatwick when our train on the way to the airport broke down and sat there for 45-60 min before they could get it moving again and we got to the bag drop desk about 1 min late. We rebooked on another airline and when I rang my travel insurance about what might be covered they said nothing because we didn't allow the full required 3 hours at the airport for an international departure. And if we did allow the full 3 hours, I'm sure there would've been another clause about how there's no cover on days of the week that end in ...ay

3 hours! Shocked Shocked

That would have seen us snookered on every trip we've ever been on! rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Grizzler, When you're spending a couple of grand on a holiday, we always prefer to travel to airport evening before and spend an extra £150 ish on an airport hotel. Takes out a very very feasible problem. We try to treat it as an extra nights holiday. Given it's winter, worth a consideration.

The manuals have been read. Thankyou wink
snow report
My insurance includes full coverage of the total cost of the holiday for missed departure. And significant coverage for alternate means of transport and accommodation (if that is less than total refund cost). Just get proper insurance and be prepared to spend your way out of the problem as you will get the cost back.

I have done this once. No problems or arguments on the claim.
snow report
thecramps wrote:
@Grizzler, When you're spending a couple of grand on a holiday, we always prefer to travel to airport evening before and spend an extra £150 ish on an airport hotel. Takes out a very very feasible problem. We try to treat it as an extra nights holiday. Given it's winter, worth a consideration.

I’ve learned my lesson on my first snowheads bash. My flight was cancelled due to storm. I landed 24 hrs later.

Fortunately, the ground transfer was by public transport (train). So I was not put into any kind of difficulty in onward travel to reach the mountain, albeit 24 hour late.

Now, I build an extra day buffer if I were to travel onward by any special arrangements (Lardy bus, cruise, etc).

Fortunately, I live close to several large airports. So I have the luxury to pick my flight time to eliminate any pre-departure stress.
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:

3 hours! Shocked Shocked

That would have seen us snookered on every trip we've ever been on! rolling eyes

That is what lounge access is for.
wink
latest report
thecramps wrote:
@Grizzler, When you're spending a couple of grand on a holiday, we always prefer to travel to airport evening before and spend an extra £150 ish on an airport hotel.

£150! I'm more the £52 for a room in the Heathrow T4 Premier Inn type Very Happy
latest report
I nearly missed a flight because of traffic. BA said, we will always put you on another flight but it is best to take a picture to prove it.

So whenever I go on holiday etc I always take a pic in the taxi on the way to the airport.

I don’t do tour operator holidays but I suppose you could take a pic in your car to prove the same.
snow report
@Mjit, that £150 might be for a family and parking?
latest report
A Premier Inn family room sleeps 4 and costs the same.
snow conditions
Premier Inn rooms for £50 are very rare these days.
snow report
@alasdair.graham, I regularly stay in Premier Inn for under 50 quid a night, often under 40...it's not really as sought after a location as LHR though Laughing
snow report
@Mjit, Premier Inn family room at LHR is £150 with 7 nights parking for a random week in May,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy