Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d’Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I’m planning a trip next year for 4 or 5 days with a mixture of abilities! There will be at least 2 non-skiers who will still like the apres ski!
I was thinking of Val d’Isere with the appeal of La Folle Douce being accessible by foot (which one person is keen on!)
Does that sound like a good resort (have only been to Austria before!).
Any other suggestions for good mountain access for pedestrians whilst still satisfying a range of skiing ability?
Thank you!
From a new skier!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With all non skiers it depends heavily what they enjoy. Folie Douce is accessible by lift which will add an extra cost and closes at 5pm so I am not sure if it will add massively to the attraction for a non skiers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ClaireCatch, 4 ot 5 days accom isn't always easy in VD, and is never cheap.

Transfers also need to be considered - can be tricky and expensive, depending on flight times.

When are you planning on going?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe Jan or Feb next year? And yes I am struggling with flights for a short trip?
Any tips for other places with a lot of gondolas for non skiers?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ClaireCatch wrote:
Maybe Jan or Feb next year? And yes I am struggling with flights for a short trip?
Any tips for other places with a lot of gondolas for non skiers?

You'll have a better chance of a non complete weeks stay if you come in January well away from the school hols!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel 1550 (and 1850 but $$$), gondola to 1850 and top (Saulire), bus to 1650 and Meribel for non-skiers. Sledging from 1850 to 1550, grangettes gondola between the two runs until 2330 I believe.

Wengen - non-skiers have the train or a gondola running to the top (pretty much), and the train going further afield if need be. Normally plenty of hotels offering less than a week. The town is pretty quiet though and much smaller ski area than Val D/3V/Arlberg/etc.

Lech - gondola to Oberlech and top of mountain for the Zurs crossover. Bus to Zurs, St Christoph, St Anton to meet skiers. Or St Anton for a livelier spot.

Your original shout of ValD is a good one too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Meant to add Zermatt - train/gondola running to spots to meet skiers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedestrians are well served by lifts in Val d'Isere. All 3 sectors are accessible.

In Le Fornet, the gondola will give access to the view points just below the glacier and a couple of restaurants.

On the Solaise, the gondola gives acess to the beginner area, the Lounge coffee shop plus walking access to 3 other restaurants. There is also a walking route around the Lac Ouillette and so good for meeting up with skiers up there.

There is less on the Bellevarde sector but the La Daille gondola gets you to the Folie.

There is also walking in the Manchet Valley and in La Daille accessible by free bus.

Cocoricos is another popular apres destination which is at the foot of the Solaise and goes on later into the evening.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, Cocoricos is loads better.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The thing that would slightly put me off taking a mixed group to Val D is the limited easy routes to and from Tignes. From Tignes to val D there is no easy way, you are probably going to have to download. From Val D to tignes le lac there is no easy way. You would have to go via Val claret. Not the end of the world, but perhaps not ideal either.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boarder2020, downloading is the easy way
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
The thing that would slightly put me off taking a mixed group to Val D is the limited easy routes to and from Tignes. From Tignes to val D there is no easy way, you are probably going to have to download. From Val D to tignes le lac there is no easy way. You would have to go via Val claret. Not the end of the world, but perhaps not ideal either.

A lot of resorts have limited easy routes to the resort. Someone was stating how difficult the Corvara resort runs were in one thread. Val DIsere does have a decent green run to la Daille and pretty good green skiing at altitude. It's more the unnecessary expense that would put me off recommending it for beginners. It's pretty pricy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@T Bar, green run to la daille? Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did the green to La Daille a couple weeks ago and it was one of the worst runs we did - parts of it were sheet ice and only a few meters wide. Way easier to do the blue or even red than the green.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like all home runs the Green run to La Daille varies quite a lot according to time of day but if followed correctly it is a very gentle gradient.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@boarder2020, downloading is the easy way

Yes, I don't disagree, that would be my suggestion. But some don't like the idea of downloading. I can see how it could be considered a bit of an underwhelming end to the day. But perhaps this is more common than I realise. In a lot of n American resorts there's nearly always an easy way down (I think whistler for example has a blue or green off every lift). But yes, much easier when you have a single base, rather than multiple villages connected together.
latest report
You could still see a lot of the resort in Les 2 Alpes as a pedestrian, perhaps worth thinking of.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Like all home runs the Green run to La Daille varies quite a lot according to time of day but if followed correctly it is a very gentle gradient.

What does followed correctly mean?
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
T Bar wrote:

It crossed quite a few reds and blues and the track can be quite difficult to find. However on this year's piste map, Vert ends at the top of the La Daille gondola and below it is now an extension of Diebold
snow conditions
are chalets and apartments sat to sat or sunday to sunday in val
snow report
@picnmix1974, Both Saturday and Sunday depending on operator.
A lot of the UK chalet company’s are Sunday along with Mountain Rooms who rent a lot of apartments.
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
T Bar wrote:

It crossed quite a few reds and blues and the track can be quite difficult to find. However on this year's piste map, Vert ends at the top of the La Daille gondola and below it is now an extension of Diebold

That's what I was thinking from my Dec trip. Beginners should download
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy