Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poma lifts and calf pain?

Poster: A snowHead
Son really struggles on Poma lifts - he gets incredible pain in his calves, and he says if he adjusts his position his thighs kill him. Could it be his height? He's 6'4

If not, anyone got any advice? as a family we don't like Pomas anyway so generally try to avoid them as much as possible - but at the Snozone last night he was in agony after just an hour and that's tiny compared to the Pomas you find in resorts!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im 6ft 2 and have 3 friends who are 6ft 4 and can use them all day at chill factore with no issues so its not the height.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Must be over straining/tensing as he thinks he's going to lose the poma from between his legs? I imagine he just needs to relax?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sitting back on the button. He needs to stand up straighter, get his knees forward and hips over his feet. If his thighs hurt from trynig to change position he's trying to pull himself up with them from the knee instead of using the ankle/leg muscles to get in a better stance in the first place. Does he also ski like that?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And maybe just stand up straight - can't think why thighs should be so sore unless his weight is dropping back. On button lifts, because I was so often listening to music,I tended to lift one foot, then the other, in time to the music, or just sort of jump up and down a bit, or various other things to pass the time on a long drag. Perhaps he's pressing his legs together. @NBH is probably right - just a matter of relaxing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You don't need to flex forwards on them unless you are extremely heavy, the springs is good it will usually hold me in a neutral position and im 100-105kg. Try stretching by touching toes and trying to straighten legs before session maybe. Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perhaps try a neutral skiing pose as you would for a gentle schuss. Gentle pressure on the boot tongues. Does he undo his top buckles going up? That might make his calves work harder (but only a bit).

He could even go as far as holding his poles behind his back with both hands, and definitely spend the time on the lift watching the other skiers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dood's holding the button too low.

Jam it higher up the buttcrack.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So he’s a good skier - parallel all the time and skis effortlessly (minimum effort required cos we mainly do blues cos of me) - he does however weigh 130kgs & he says he spotted that I am parallel on a poma whereas he has to keep his legs apart (he has huge thighs)

He’s not gonna lose the weight in 10 days so I guess he’ll just have to suck it up Laughing unless he gets of his PS5 and does some calf stretches haha
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glosterwolf wrote:
You don't need to flex forwards on them unless you are extremely heavy, the springs is good it will usually hold me in a neutral position and im 100-105kg. Try stretching by touching toes and trying to straighten legs before session maybe. Puzzled

He is extremely big
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What flex are his boots? Anything under 130 and he's going to flatten them.

He needs to feel comfortable resting his shins on the fronts of his boots rather than trying to hold his weight with his muscles.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
What flex are his boots? Anything under 130 and he's going to flatten them.

He needs to feel comfortable resting his shins on the fronts of his boots rather than trying to hold his weight with his muscles.

he doesn’t have his own boots - he’s been quite happy with hire boots so far - are you saying a stiffer boot would mean he could lean on the boots more while on lift or that he needs a stiffer boot while skiing - cos even in hire boots he gets down everything.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He really sounds like he needs a professionally fitted pair of boots. Everyone does really but if he's that large, the hire shop will not be catering for his needs. If you persuade him, I'm confident he'll thank you for ever. My son, who is a similar height and weight (but probably not as good a skier) found skiing in general, but also Pomas, much easier when his feet stopped growing and he could swap a pair of 100 flex second hand boots that didn't fit particularly well for a pair of properly fitted Fischer RC Pro 120 Vacuum CFs. There were stiffer 130 options but these were a better fit (and lucky for me the previous year's model and thus cheap).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimummk, You could stop feeding him for a bit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs wrote:
@skimummk, You could stop feeding him for a bit.
Laughing Laughing
latest report
@tsgsh, My earlier comments were based on the theory that the calf pain was due to pressure from the back of the boot, consistent with thigh pain if he tries to hold himself up from a sitting position, but some others are suggesting that he's over-stretching the calf muscles, which could only really happen if he was leaning so far forward as to over-flex the boots. I find that unlikely, TBH, and as such changing the boots will not address his problems.

Perhaps you could clarify - what sort of pain is it and what does he think the initial cause is, pressure or stretching?
snow report
so, he says it was better when he loosened his boots - so he’s gonna try that if we have to do a poma on holiday - but I personally think it’s muscular and lack of fitness - he says if he leans slightly forward it hurts his calves, leans back it’s his thighs and his stance is wide legged compared to his skiing so presumably stretching the muscles in a different way to skiing (which doesn’t hurt him at all)
latest report
Sounds like he needs a stretching and foam roller regime for general maintenance, but also needs to relax on the poma.
ski holidays
@skimummk, You could get him to measure the circumference of his calves, it will give an idea of whether they are in the range that is expected to fit in a boot.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, I thought that if his boots weren't supportive enough then he's be using his leg muscles more to support himself. With stiffer boots, more of his weight would be taken by the equipment and it would require less effort. Could also very easily be a stance issue.
snow conditions
Lessons. And soon. Urgently.
snow report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, I thought that if his boots weren't supportive enough then he's be using his leg muscles more to support himself. With stiffer boots, more of his weight would be taken by the equipment and it would require less effort. Could also very easily be a stance issue.

Makes sense to me, sometimes I've had calves aching the next morning and it's nearly always because I haven't had my boots properly done up. At 130kg and 6'4" I'd have thought the poor lad is folding rentals in half when he skis and having to use calf muscles to keep himself centred, i.e the problem is coming from the skiing rather than standing on the lift.
ski holidays
If in MK and you went in the evening this week then the snow is extra sticky due to half term traffic. I felt some discomfort in my calves and feet during my two visits this week and it’s no good for my dodgy knee either. This could certainly have exacerbated any other issues.
latest report
yeh, was MK - Weds eve - wasn’t too busy tbh, I was surprised for the last 3 runs I was only one on the slope
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
Lessons. And soon. Urgently.

Urgent lessons in what?

I don’t think they do drag lift lessons Laughing
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@skimummk, You could get him to measure the circumference of his calves, it will give an idea of whether they are in the range that is expected to fit in a boot.

we have plenty of time when we arrive as we are not skiing on the first day so maybe we can get some advice and he can try a stiffer ski and boots
latest report
He also said he had no probs on a t-bar in andorra last year so I think @whitegold could be right - he needs to hold it higher
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy