Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria for a few days in June...

Poster: A snowHead
We will be in Mayrhofen for 4 days in June for some mountain air and a day at hintertux followed by a few days in Kitzbuhel, we had also tentatively planned a couple of days in Zell am See but now want to look for an alternative. Last time we were there in the summer (10 years ago) we didn't feel comfortable with the non Austrian vibe, looking at trip advisor it seems it hasn't changed since then. When we go to Austria we want more of an Austrian vibe.

Please let's not let this thread focus on that, but rather focus on suggestions for an alternative destination with;

Great views.
Great walking trails.
Easy but interesting bike trails.
Traditional Austrian vibe.
Not too distant from that area as our next stop will be over to Lindau on Bodensee.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a great time.
I was going to suggest cycling down the Danube from Passau to Vienna.
Its a great holiday, but you would like to go walking.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DrLawn, a bit too far east as out next stop is over to the west, we are also more recreational walkers rather than hard core cyclists.

It's a road trip looking roughly like this, but with an alternative to Zell am See.

Rothenburg
Mayrhofen (couple of days of glacier skiing)
Zell am See
Kitzbuhel
Lindau on Bodensee
Rudesheim

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 21-02-24 19:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Salzkammergut, Austria's Lake District. So beautiful. And if you're looking for the perfect spot in which to stay, I cannot recommend https://landhausfay.com/ more highly. It is run by two of the nicest snowHeads you will ever meet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mondi Hotel at Grundlsee. Should also add that the Zell am See area is lovely in the Summer. Loads of hiking trails, mountain biking, plenty of bathing areas all around the lake, weekly SommerNachtsfest, live music venues, great variety of restaurants, summer huts away from the ski areas, schnapps distilleries, championship golf courses, TauernSpa, etc.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 21-02-24 20:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JimboS, Was also going to suggest the Salzkammergut and/or Wagrain/Flachau area rather than Zell am See.

Our area is a walking, MTB or EBike venue in the Summer months. I can recommend the hike from Kleinarl to Tappenkarsee and onwards to the Franz Fischer Hutte for an overnight stay if that's your bag? Lots of trails, not full of Asian Tourists (unlike Zell) and a more rural vibe.

Mrs R&W works in Zell and yesterday ran round the "See". Again very disappointed as the Eastern side has no lake access and you run along the main road. Everything else that side is privately owned on the lake front. Maria Alm is also nice in the Summer though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JimboS, You could look at one of the longer valleys towards the west of the Tirol, Stubaital, Oetztal, Pitztal & Kaunertal. All have glaciers at the end much like the Zillertal. Stubaital is nice and easy reach of Innsbruck. Oetztal, not keen on Sölden but Vent is a nice if quiet spot and Obergurgl is nice too. Pitztal I dont know but must be similar. Kaunertal again not been but is a bit remote, maybe that's what you are after. The Vorarlberg is worth looking at (especially if you are on you way to Lindau). I have been to the mountains above Schruns on the border with Switzerland and that was a bit away from the normal tourist hot spots but very typically "Austrian". I have heard the Bregenzerwald is a good spot (posted a link from a Guardian article about off the beaten track winter holidays there) again well away from the more frequented tourist spots. Do be aware that June is pretty early season and many of the high huts may not be open. Also check the dates of the Pfingsten (Whitsun) holidays, two weeks best avoided as busier than February half term!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the suggestions, lots of food for thought, time for more research.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JimboS, I’d spend a few days in Vorarlberg. Loads of fab walking of all levels/ challenges; lovely views. Montafon is nice; Walsertal is great; Bregenzerwald also nice. Can be a bit Dutch-heavy in peak season but June shouldn’t be too bad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JimboS, In my younger days I went to Scheffau every summer. I was rock climbing so I'm not 100% sure about MB trails - certainly plenty of hiking. The focus was on the Wilder Kaiser range which is on the other side of the valley to the ski area, but the main Scheffau gondola was open for walkers on those gentle hills

Very beautiful area - village was quiet but open, relaxed and peaceful and friendly.

My guide also once took me to Alpbach where his family farmed and that is a very very lovely village and is another to check out.

As well as climbing we sometimes went for a 'beach' day to one of the nearby lakes - very popular and more busy but still a great experience. I don't remember their names sadly
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
Salzkammergut, Austria's Lake District. So beautiful. And if you're looking for the perfect spot in which to stay, I cannot recommend https://landhausfay.com/ more highly. It is run by two of the nicest snowHeads you will ever meet.

^ +1
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swap Zell for Saalbach ? Lovely in summer
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JimboS, if you are going back via Bodensee, go back via Warth and down the the valley.
Popup to Damuuls, the villages down that way are very much on the Austrian vibe.
Cowsheds, dressing up in uniform for mass on Sunday.
This is real Austria.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:

This 100%
The Saltzkammergut is the Austrian Lake district. Stunning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JimboS, you are aware that Rothenburg is extremely touristic? Pretty definitely, but be warned. Ever been to Würzburg, and especially, its Residenz? It's stunning, and few tourists. Whilst the Residenz has Versailles quality. Charming small city too, very nicely restored after the disastrous bombing. Great local wines.

Instead of Zell am See you might go around the corner to Saalbach. No issues there with the non Austrian vibe. And supposedly great for mountain biking.
Would not go into the higher valleys. June might be too early for that. So is Arlberg, Warth, Damüls: too early
snow report
@Langerzug, thanks for the tips, Rothenburg and Rudesheim are just quick one night stay overs to break up the drive from Amsterdam. I'll save Würzburg for another longer trip.
snow report
Key question: do you mean bike trails as in singletrails and mountain biking, or more like forest roads and routes and gravel biking?
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@JimboS, Was also going to suggest the Salzkammergut and/or Wagrain/Flachau area rather than Zell am See.

Our area is a walking, MTB or EBike venue in the Summer months. I can recommend the hike from Kleinarl to Tappenkarsee and onwards to the Franz Fischer Hutte for an overnight stay if that's your bag? Lots of trails, not full of Asian Tourists (unlike Zell) and a more rural vibe.

Mrs R&W works in Zell and yesterday ran round the "See". Again very disappointed as the Eastern side has no lake access and you run along the main road. Everything else that side is privately owned on the lake front. Maria Alm is also nice in the Summer though.

You can access the lake through the Thurmsbach Park near the Lido and the Ferry dock, it used to quite unpleasent to cycle along the main road around that side of the lake when our kids were younger but they have now added cycle lanes pretty much the whole way along that section now.

Has your wife tried a run from Zell towards Kaprun via Bruck as this is all along trails through the fields and alongside the river and very pleasent in the summer although not tried it in the winter.

As to the original question June is not high season for the Arabs in Zell, not sure what time of year you went before but we find its generally late July, August and Sep when we are busy with Arab guests.
ski holidays
@clarky999, not hardcore, easy downhill tracks or ebike for me.

Pics from 2013 trip here.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2318269&highlight=mate#2318269
ski holidays
@beano, Asians (as in South Koreans and Chinese) by the busload.
snow conditions
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@beano, Asians (as in South Koreans and Chinese) by the busload.

Thats really interesting, never seen many Asian visitors (no more than any other nationality anyway) and we have never had any guests stay from China/Korea. I wonder if they come on day trips and don't stay in the town. Every day is a school day!
latest report
Drive to the Dolomites in northern Italy.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

^ +1

It’s a resounding “YES” from me too. Beautiful scenery, lovely villages and warm Austrian hospitality. Wolfangsee (with Fuschl a close second) is a family favourite. I’d also recommend Saalbach as a more lively base with access to some cracking walking trails.
latest report
franga wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

^ +1

It’s a resounding “YES” from me too. Beautiful scenery, lovely villages and warm Austrian hospitality. Wolfgangsee (with Fuschl a close second) is a family favourite. I’d also recommend Saalbach as a more lively base with access to some cracking walking trails.
snow report
[quote="franga"][quote="franga"]
Alastair Pink wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

^ +1

It’s a resounding “YES” from me too. Beautiful scenery, lovely villages and warm Austrian hospitality. Wolfgangsee (with Fuschl a close second) is a family favourite. I’d also recommend Saalbach as a more lively base with access to some cracking walking trails.
snow conditions
What’s the issue with Zell by the way - why does it have a non-Austrian vibe? I learnt to snowboard there but this was a good 25 years ago.
ski holidays
franga wrote:
What’s the issue with Zell by the way - why does it have a non-Austrian vibe? I learnt to snowboard there but this was a good 25 years ago.

My understanding is they have a huge number of tourists from the middle east, so it's heaving with bus loads of tourists. As a result, looses some of its Austrian charm.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2015/jul/20/zell-am-see-austrian-village-muslim-holiday-hotspot-in-pictures
latest report
Zell certainly attracts huge visitor numbers, but is not overrun like, for example, Hallstatt. Locals can still lead normal lives. Most visitors to Zell are not day trippers. Many, but still a minority, are non-European. The large number from the Gulf states often surprises other visitors.
Does Venice lose its Italian vibe because of the number of international visitors?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Does Venice lose its Italian vibe because of the number of international visitors?

The number of visitors can definitely detract from the attractiveness of a destination. That was the second reference to Hallstatt I've seen today - a friend wrote that he visited it with his partner, whose mother was born there. I must read up about it!
ski holidays
@Austrian Seagull, I think it’s mostly about the difference between the dirndl and the nikab…. Toofy Grin
snow report
@Langerzug, the banned Niqab.
ski holidays
After a bit of discussion with Kim, looks like we will head over to the lake district.

I remember back in ~ summer 2003, I had all the kids with me for a week's skiing staying at the Hof. We took a day of from Hintertux and had an early start and drove to Venice for the day, it was a hell of a long day but the kids still talk about it now.
snow conditions
Austrian Seagull wrote:
@Langerzug, the banned Niqab.

From our own limited perspective, we noticed a drop in summer guests from the Gulf states after the ban was introduced but last summer numbers were back to pre ban levels. I get a feeling when we wrere there last summer, many are using "Covid Masks" as a work round for covering the majority of the face.

I personally have no problem with the arabic guests, we have the same preportions of good guests and bad guests as from any other country, and often if you take the time to talk to them its an amazing insight into at different culture and way of life. Also there is nothing quite like witnessing people experiencing snow for the first time at the top of the Kitzsteinhorn!

The reason Zell is so popular with guests from all over the world is that it offers a lot, its kind of like if you want the convienience of lots of hotels, restaraunts, the lake, the mountains, easy access by car or rail and a Tourist board that puts on a lot of events then naturally its going to be busy and you have to accept it.

The locals I know who work in tourism are obviously in favour of the high numbers of tourists and the locals who don't are less happy with the numbers, who would have thought that!
latest report
Looks like our road trip will be about 2000 miles, since we have a car with poor mpg, 17 or 18 at best that needs super unleaded fuel, it will be worth looking for cheaper filling stations. Can anyone advise of an app that will work in Germany and Austria that finds the cheapest local fuel stations?
latest report
@JimboS, cheapest garages around Innsbruck as far as I can tell are these:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CoHwSk2Y9xukdTkEA
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nrDDp6hX41vbtPii6
https://maps.app.goo.gl/QPhzaE62oipRfb7i7
ski holidays
@swskier, thanks.
ski holidays
@JimboS, Luxembourg? Austria is cheaper for fuel than Germany. If you are concerned about fuel costs avoid the services on the Autobahn as they are known for high prices.
snow report
I think we will just need one fill up in Germany each way so will avoid motorway filling stations.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

^ +1

Thanks Hurtle, Alastair Pink and Frosty the Snowman Very Happy I’d have acknowledged sooner but have unfortunately been a bit preoccupied with a family matter, so haven’t been checking into sH’s for several days.
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
I think we will just need one fill up in Germany each way so will avoid motorway filling stations.

Good plan! I couldn’t believe how much the A3 Autobahn filling stations were last week….2,20/l for diesel. If I’d had the time I would certainly have searched for alternatives.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy