Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heads up -- BBC radio 4 PM programme shortly : green ski slopes france

Poster: A snowHead
BBC Radio 4 PM programme will do a feature on 'the green ski slopes of France' today (thats in the next hour !!)

EDIT for clarity !!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-02-24 18:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@albob, Is that TV? Not seeing it on my guide. In fact BBC4 doesn't start until 7pm
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MorningGory,

soz - BBC radio 4 PM programme (likely to be a very short feature...)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having just missed it presumably, is that about differences in piste grading systems in Europe or about global heating? The predominant winter shade of any grass in the French Alps that doesn't have snow on it is a dreary shade of brown.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tsgsh, you can listen to it on demand on the BBC sounds app, then you can listen to the relevant bit not the whole show.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So is this about...
A) green graded slopes
B) eco' planet saying measures
C) lack of snow
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
quite obviously, it's about lack of snow. Interview with an apparently British (or bilingual) member of the Morzine tourist office.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow levels in France 47% of normal ; France on course for the warmest February

Lady from Morzine was talking about how they are planning the area for a future lack of Snowfall by investing in SnowMaking etc (and Walks !)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
albob wrote:
Snow levels in France 47% of normal
At what altitude? This is what the official data says about snow depths, high, mid and low altitudes: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165466&start=1840#5255183
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar - thanks for those graphs - fascinating stuff!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:

Lady from Morzine was talking about how they are planning the area for a future lack of Snowfall by investing in SnowMaking etc (and Walks !)

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
… and I thought it was the colour rating/difficulty snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
albob wrote:
Snow levels in France 47% of normal
At what altitude? This is what the official data says about snow depths, high, mid and low altitudes: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165466&start=1840#5255183

@rob@rar -- I was just repeating what Evans Davis led the articl with - he wasn't too specific !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob wrote:
@rob@rar -- I was just repeating what Evans Davis led the articl with - he wasn't too specific !!
I thought the piece was a waste of the airwaves.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With the rain level creeping higher they’ll do a follow-up on the blue slopes.

As there will be fewer slopes available and they become crowded with short tempered, aggressive skiers, the next programme will be on the red slopes.

Finally, as night falls…
snow conditions
Catch it on BBC Radio 4 Sounds. The PM programme, of 21/02/2024 at 41:20 into the programme. It didn't say anything that skiers are probably not aware of. The climate is warming and there is going to be less snow. The alpine resorts are gearing up more for summer holidays.

I am acutely aware that my passion for skiing is one of the activities helping to cause climate change, and now that we finally recognise it (after years of global warming deniers), what am I going to do about it? Well, I am not going to give up and live in a cave, but driving or even better, coaching to the alps rather than flying is one thing. Giving up beef, keeping central heating low, recycling, look at the transport miles of the food I buy, and many more are all things. Perhaps not significant, - I don't know, but at least I can do these things and enough taken together might achieve something.

And I am also well aware that it is something that I get pleasure and fun from, that is perhaps the main thing that makes me sit up and take notice of what we are doing to our environment when there is the real much bigger problem of the future of the Earth, its ecology and the future of our grandchildren. But then I'm just your typical Human hypocrite who looks the other way. How are we going to deal with all this?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
albob wrote:

An interesting and telling graphic, thank you.

It’d be interesting to see the 2022/23 line too.
ski holidays
TCSC47 wrote:
Catch it on BBC Radio 4 Sounds. The PM programme, of 21/02/2024 at 41:20 into the programme. It didn't say anything that skiers are probably not aware of. The climate is warming and there is going to be less snow. The alpine resorts are gearing up more for summer holidays.

I am acutely aware that my passion for skiing is one of the activities helping to cause climate change, and now that we finally recognise it (after years of global warming deniers), what am I going to do about it? Well, I am not going to give up and live in a cave, but driving or even better, coaching to the alps rather than flying is one thing. Giving up beef, keeping central heating low, recycling, look at the transport miles of the food I buy, and many more are all things. Perhaps not significant, - I don't know, but at least I can do these things and enough taken together might achieve something.

And I am also well aware that it is something that I get pleasure and fun from, that is perhaps the main thing that makes me sit up and take notice of what we are doing to our environment when there is the real much bigger problem of the future of the Earth, its ecology and the future of our grandchildren. But then I'm just your typical Human hypocrite who looks the other way. How are we going to deal with all this?

Ski above 2000-3000m.

And get a sweet tan at 1000-2000m Cool
latest report
Snow&skifan wrote:
davidof wrote:
albob wrote:

It comes from here:- https://labo.obs-mip.fr/multitemp/apps/alps-snow-monitor/

and another tool: https://sentineige.fr/

snowmap uses the same data: https://snowmap.fr/ and you can see that natural snow cover in the French NA starts around 1500 to 2000m at the moment depending on slope aspect and latitude.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:
davidof wrote:
albob wrote:

It comes from here:- https://labo.obs-mip.fr/multitemp/apps/alps-snow-monitor/

and another tool: https://sentineige.fr/

snowmap uses the same data: https://snowmap.fr/ and you can see that natural snow cover in the French NA starts around 1500 to 2000m at the moment depending on slope aspect and latitude.

Cheers, will play on that!
latest report
Snow&skifan wrote:

there was a site with historic data but it doesn't work at the moment, will send a link later

AFAIKS the early season to the second week of January was a lot better than last year, even at mid altitudes, then it was blitzed with high altitude rain and the situation below 1800 meters is very poor, possibly the worst in living memory. It's not lack of snow but lack of cold and according to climatologists this is the new normal for the French and Italian mountains as weather patterns have changed. We haven't seen a gradual death march but a step change due to warming oceans.

Of course it could all be El Nino related and everything else is just hysterical end of the world stuff.

As Rob posted a link to the Aigleton nivose here are some records from the past, generally 250cm of snow is about right for February. The nearest ski resorts of les 7 Laux and Chamrousse have the TOP of their pistes at the altitude of that station. It is more high mountain than mid mountain.

http://belledonne38.com/Meteo/meteo.php
snow report
davidof wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

there was a site with historic data but it doesn't work at the moment, will send a link later

AFAIKS the early season to the second week of January was a lot better than last year, even at mid altitudes, then it was blitzed with high altitude rain and the situation below 1800 meters is very poor, possibly the worst in living memory. It's not lack of snow but lack of cold and according to climatologists this is the new normal for the French and Italian mountains as weather patterns have changed. We haven't seen a gradual death march but a step change due to warming oceans.

Of course it could all be El Nino related and everything else is just hysterical end of the world stuff.

As Rob posted a link to the Aigleton nivose here are some records from the past, generally 250cm of snow is about right for February. The nearest ski resorts of les 7 Laux and Chamrousse have the TOP of their pistes at the altitude of that station. It is more high mountain than mid mountain.

http://belledonne38.com/Meteo/meteo.php

This is a La Nino winter which normally leads to a warmer than average season, hence more of the precipitaion has fallen as rain, the jet stream has been very stubborn this year also, incase people have missed it the UK has had an extremely wet winter with very little frost, last year was much the same is it global warming or just a blip ? I remember the mid seventies when I left school was much the same, very mild wet winters this was followed by a series of cold and snowy winters the last year of the 1970's and the first few years of the 80's, hopefully the pattern will change and we will get a better time next year
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy