Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay the night near Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Driving from near Reading to Tignes thinking of leaving Thursday evening 28th March driving through the night to get as close as possible to Tignes get a good nights sleep somewhere, recommendations please, leave early 6am’ish to beat the traffic and get whole extra days skiing in on the Saturday. Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andyoxon,
What day & time would you expect to land in France & where?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kenzie, Catch the tunnel around 10pm Thursday drive 11hours + a couple of naps at services so arrive early afternoon Friday
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@andyoxon,
Why not just drive up to Tignes & stay there Friday night?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andyoxon, That doesn't quite make sense. When we lived in the UK we did that trip several times, usually, as you suggest, grabbing a three or four hour nap at a service area on the way down when neither of us could remain alert enough to drive. But then we'd arrive in Tignes (or wherever) much earlier, often first thing in the morning when we'd left London in the early evening after work. I can't imagine why you fee; you'd need a second night's stay somewhere en route.

I only once did the trip solo with no overnight stop, for my SCGB rep's course back in '99. Took 11.5 hours door to door from Milton Keynes. During the day, of course, and I arrived just in time, halfway through dinner, but not to late to catch up on the eating and drinking. ISTR we were out at the Poste until 3 or 4 that night as well...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not only do you not need two nights en route, there shouldn't be any horrendous traffic that weekend. If you travel from Reading on Friday, should be no problem getting close to Tignes. Depending on your accommodation, you'd obviously need to "ski from the car" on Saturday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chaletbeauro, I think it makes sense as if I drive through the day I get there Saturday evening and loose a days skiing or I drive through the night and am too tired to ski straight away when I arrive. I probably can find a hotel in Bourg st Maurice for the night was just looking for recommendations. Maybe someone else can chime in if they think this is a bad idea too!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andyoxon, I'm still confused. Where are you planning to stay Thursday night?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m not staying anywhere’s Thursday I’m driving through the night, I know I need to ski from the car Saturday but having been awake for 26 hours and then going skiing didn’t seem a good idea, hence trying to find a cheap but recommended place for Friday night.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, OK. Well, I wouldn't do it that way. I'd leave on Friday, get well down near Tignes for Friday night. Maybe stay in the Ibis Budget Albertville. No problem even for a single driver if the weather is OK. Otherwise you're going to be kicking round losing time for part of the journey. And my alternative doesn't include the business of driving all through the night.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Origen wrote:
Not only do you not need two nights en route, there shouldn't be any horrendous traffic that weekend. If you travel from Reading on Friday, should be no problem getting close to Tignes. Depending on your accommodation, you'd obviously need to "ski from the car" on Saturday.

why so? as fas as i know there will be not school holidays in FR.
It will not be so bad as in Half Term
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andyoxon, selection of budget hotels in Albertville and gives you an hour and a half on the road to Tignes. Moutier or BSM is obviously closer but finding a cheap place to get your head down will be harder, and more expensive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Once you are further up the valley than Bourg St Maurice it's hard to find lodgings other than for a week at a time. Moutiers and Albertville are better bets for a single night. You could try Base Camp Lodge in Bourg, but individual rooms look pricey compared to French budget hotels like Ibis. A dorm bed in Base Camp Lodge perhaps?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was asking something similar here

In the end we binned the idea but I reckon Albertville is the only real options. When I looked at Ibis it was booked out. In the end I took a punt on the Auberge de Costaroche - which I am now going to cancel.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Origen, on other trips I’ve done it the way you suggested but what with the Farmers strikes I thought the journey would be less interrupted at night and the last bit of the journey up the mountain into Tignes can be a nightmare on a Saturday and lastly I assumed Easter weekend would be crazy busy especially as its early this year. Anyway looks like the consensus is I’m crazy so I’ll have another think.
latest report
@andyoxon, Laughing you're not crazy but Easter is low season in French ski terms. I just think your plan is unnecessarily long and tiring! But would still recommend Ibis budget Albertville. I don't understand the question from @turms2. Generally you won't have access to accommodation in resort till at least 4pm on Saturday.
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
@andyoxon, Laughing you're not crazy but Easter is low season in French ski terms. I just think your plan is unnecessarily long and tiring! But would still recommend Ibis budget Albertville. I don't understand the question from @turms2. Generally you won't have access to accommodation in resort till at least 4pm on Saturday.

sorry. i have read "there should be traffic this weekend" but you wrote shouldnt be traffic. My Mistake
one the other hand @andyoxon said " Easter weekend would be crazy busy"
latest report
andyoxon wrote:
Chaletbeauro, I think it makes sense as if I drive through the day I get there Saturday evening and loose a days skiing or I drive through the night and am too tired to ski straight away when I arrive. I probably can find a hotel in Bourg st Maurice for the night was just looking for recommendations. Maybe someone else can chime in if they think this is a bad idea too!

Too tired to ski???
ski holidays
Madness!

Leave Reading Friday 0600
Arrive Folkestone 0830
Arrive Calais 1100 (French time)
Arrive Albertville 2200 (allowing for 2 hours of stops)
Crash out in cheap hotel
Depart Albertville Saturday 0700
Arrive Tignes 0830 and go skiing
latest report
Driving overnight and skiing from the car is not for everyone.

But driving overnight and then not skiing but staying in a Hotel a night does seem bonkers.

I'm not sure @andyoxon, has two drivers. If you do you can sleep while the other drivers and arrive in a reasonable state. Once you have the mountain air and your skis on the tiredness slips away. It does hit you pretty quick after dinner though.
snow report
The Basecamp lodge in Bourg St Maurice has what they term as cabin rooms, these are cheap and are basically a very small room with a single bed and a wardrobe, there are communal bathrooms and the hotel has a pretty decent restaurant. I've stayed in these a few times, I think they are good value.
ski holidays
That sounds ideal if there's a space.
snow report
DJL wrote:
Madness!

Arrive Folkestone 0830
Crash out in cheap hotel

why? i find it managable

I am planning to leave Germany at around 0300
Arrive somewhere in PDS around 0900
Ski for 4 hours
then drive further heading south for almost 4 Hours
Sleep somewhere
Wake up, drive to Oz, ski till 1500 and then go to Vaujany or AlpdHuez for the week

it is not so extreme as from Reading, but i will do it with two kids. And they love it.
snow report
One driver, me.
I know on a midweek day it would be easy but I keep hearing horror stories about Saturday and the road to Tignes. The cost of my holiday several thousand pounds so what’s another £100 to almost guarantee an extra days skiing. DJL plan is good if there’s no delays at Folkestone or Calais border Control striking or working to rule, no delays because of the French Farmers or the Yellow jackets who are also getting in on the act and no additional traffic because it’s Easter Saturday; obviously if I get delayed for any reason I can just miss out on the sleep at the cheap hotel but then I’m knackered for skiing and with a tired 12 year old that doesn’t sound fun. If the farmers cancel their strikes I think that’s a plan but otherwise I can see lots of possible delays. I’ll look at the hotels in Albertville and compare them to Bourg st Maurice.
snow conditions
I often do a similar trip in one hit, leaving Essex at circa 05:30 getting into Bourg around 19:30 with a stop or two. The Basecamp is really easy to find, just off the main road through Bourg and it has secure parking you pay a little extra to use for the night, apologies, they call them sleeping pods not cabin rooms, not looked if they have availability when you are looking for
https://www.hotel-basecamplodge.com/en/rooms.html#hostel
snow conditions
@andyoxon, There are some hotels in Moutiers & La Lechere too.
snow report
Checking out Basecamp lodge in Bourg St Maurice now cheers good suggestion
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
Madness!

Arrive Folkestone 0830
Crash out in cheap hotel
A

Assuming your plan is to start early on Saturday, this looks exactly what I would do. We leave SOuth London circa 6am, get to the Tunnel for an 8am train and we stay in Chambery and you can be there about 7pm with a couple of stops en route. It’s about 2 hours from there to Tignes. We like Chambery as it’s a nice town, good cheap hotels in the centre (Mercury or Kyriad) so you can get a decent bite to eat. Leave CHambery at 7am and you would be in resort by 9, skiing by 10 I would guess or sooner if you have your gear and have bought a ski pass in advance. As others have said, you could also stay nearer resort in Bourg or Moutiers but then that just adds another hour or so on your day 1 drive and less places to go out. Not sure why you would drive all night Thursday to get near a resort around Friday lunchtime and then have to kill time anyway waiting for Saturday morning.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Base camp looks ideal just what I was looking for, just like an upmarket shoestring lodge in Whistler long closed now but if anyone’s been never forgotten.
snow report
I’m assuming from some of the comments you either don’t know about the French farmers actions or think it has been exaggerated or will be over by Easter, I’ve had 2 of our last 3 holidays ruined my flight cancellations and industrial action so I though adding some travel time sounded a good idea, anyway now you know why I’m thinking of leaving early.
latest report
andyoxon wrote:
I’m assuming from some of the comments you either don’t know about the French farmers actions or think it has been exaggerated or will be over by Easter, I’ve had 2 of our last 3 holidays ruined my flight cancellations and industrial action so I though adding some travel time sounded a good idea, anyway now you know why I’m thinking of leaving early.

Well, Easter is still 6 weeks away. It's a bit like asking if snow conditions will be good. For our Christmas trip just gone, we thought we'd be really smart and go over Thursday evening (because we could) to avoid the Friday evening rush. At lunchtime, hours before we were leaving home Eurotunnel was hit by a wildcat strike of tunnel maintenance workers and services were halted. We got a ferry but we were delayed and it was stressful. The point being stuff is pretty difficult to predict and it's hard to plan for every possibility.
snow conditions
@andyoxon, another vote for BCL - done it both with family on way to Les Arcs (route up hill not possible) and for a week as a "boys trip" base. Both types of parties love it.
latest report
We've stayed in Le Petit Auberge in BSM for one night a couple of Easters ago. Nice little family hotel. About 60 Euros for a twin room so not sure how that compares.
latest report
andyoxon wrote:
Origen, on other trips I’ve done it the way you suggested but what with the Farmers strikes I thought the journey would be less interrupted at night and the last bit of the journey up the mountain into Tignes can be a nightmare on a Saturday and lastly I assumed Easter weekend would be crazy busy especially as its early this year. Anyway looks like the consensus is I’m crazy so I’ll have another think.

French school Spring holidays start 6/4/24.
snow report
@andyoxon, Seems like a very sensible idea to me. I'd get something close by booked as soon as possible for the Friday night as it is going to be a busy weekend in the high altitude resorts.

This season seems to have been permanently busy in La Plagne as people are aiming for the high altitude resorts.
We've recently had enquiries from a few French families for that weekend and quite a few enquiries from Spain for the full week as it is the Spanish school holidays
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
andyoxon wrote:

French school Spring holidays start 6/4/24.

Plus most of France forget skiing exists after the February holidays.
latest report
Cheers Skichampcouk, I only really wanted some recommendations of good places near Tignes but I got a lot of comments from people some even stating what I was proposing was madness. Anyway I’m going to stick to my plan I’d rather get there a bit early than loose a days skiing.

Thanks everyone.
snow conditions
In Bourg we've stopped in Hotel Arolla, ( booked en route) basic but clean and pleasant. Parked straight outside. Also use a B+B just outside Bourg twice, lovely, I may consider going back there for a real holiday, Chalet Thalia.
latest report
@andyoxon,
Quote:

I only really wanted some recommendations of good places near Tignes but I got a lot of comments from people some even stating what I was proposing was madness

That's snowHeads for you. Laughing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@andyoxon,
Quote:

I only really wanted some recommendations of good places near Tignes but I got a lot of comments from people some even stating what I was proposing was madness

That's snowHeads for you. Laughing

true Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy