Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grip walk boots with touring bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have had my touring skis for a number of years now. However I only get to tour about 6 days a year. My old touring boots were fine but I didn’t really like them. My old downhill boots were ready for retirement. So I bought myself a pair of (fitted) hybrid boots, which I love. The boots have grip walk soles (which are incredibly useful for me). That means I have to clip in at about 45 degrees (see photo). Previously I was clipping in with the boots (with classical flat soles) almost horizontal.

I have been back to the boot fitter and the ski shop (unfortunately not the same place). Other than some radical and/or expensive solutions, the advice is “they are fine, you just need to practice”. Seems fair and that is what I intend to do (eg next week I am off piste but not touring and I will use my touring skis).

Anyone with any advice as to how to get used to this?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnMo, are you saying that if your boot is (more) horizontal then the GW sole is fouling on the binding and making it impossible to align the pins etc?

When clicking-in try having the ski a little more rearward - say with the toe pins adjacent to the ankle of your standing foot - to give a better view of the alignment etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't quite figure out what issue you're having but I've had to dremel a bit of rubber sole before as the sole was making contact with the middle part of the toepiece and releasing the pins before they were properly aligned to the holes on the boot. 2 min job.

Curious as to what the radical / expensive options were though?

Couple of pen marks on the top of the toe of the boot also help with alignment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
@JohnMo, are you saying that if your boot is (more) horizontal then the GW sole is fouling on the binding and making it impossible to align the pins etc?

When clicking-in try having the ski a little more rearward - say with the toe pins adjacent to the ankle of your standing foot - to give a better view of the alignment etc.

Thanks for the reply. I think the issue is that the grip walk sole is raised at the front (compared to a horizontal “classic” ski boot sole). Therefore you have to tip the sole forward to engage the pins much more than you would with a horizontal sole.

That is a really good idea re bringing the ski rearward when trying to align and engage the pins. I will certainly try it.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dashed wrote:
I can't quite figure out what issue you're having but I've had to dremel a bit of rubber sole before as the sole was making contact with the middle part of the toepiece and releasing the pins before they were properly aligned to the holes on the boot. 2 min job.

Curious as to what the radical / expensive options were though?

Couple of pen marks on the top of the toe of the boot also help with alignment.

The pins are not being released early. Just struggling to get them to engage. The expensive options all revolved around new bindings or new boots or both! To be fair to the guys at the mountain shop they said I shouldn’t do that as my bindings and boots were both fine (too polite to point out the user was not - but I have no pride, I know it is me).

Good idea re marking pin holes. I’ll do that as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy