Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski pole straps

Poster: A snowHead
What's the general consensus on the use of the straps on ski poles?

Up until a few years ago I always used to put my hands through them when skiing. That is up until an instructor told me he never does as he got injured when he fell, the fact he couldn't just release them easily contributed to the incident.

I've not once dropped the poles accidentally when not using the straps, so is this just a no brainer and they should never be used, or do people think the straps have a legitimate use in skiing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pyramus, what a good idea to start a thread on this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without straps how can one perform the Oklahoma Suitcase

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If we didn’t have pole straps, what would the people who tell you YOU MUST NEVER USE STRAPS because their mate’s mate’s mate literally had his arm ripped off etc etc have to talk about rolling eyes

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 19-02-24 11:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How could you do without another thing to faff about with before and after getting off lifts rather than skiing?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ster, fidget spinners? hang on...

*MINDBLOWN!!!*

Is there a market for Fidget Spinner baskets? I PATENT THIS! DRAGONS, PREPARE TO INVEST!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I skied off piste I would use the straps, particularly in powder, for fear of losing a pole in a fall. On piste I don't use the straps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They're just for hanging your poles on your skis when you stop for lunch, otherwise they fall over and other people ski over them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't use them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pyramus wrote:
What's the general consensus on the use of the straps on ski poles?

The consensus is you shouldn't be following so a called consensus.

It seems like you've already made your mind up and are skiing quite comfortably so I'd keep doing that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, but there won't be a consensus on this topic, the sheeple are destined to remain confused.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I drop my poles left right and centre - so I use straps generally
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use my straps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't use them
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
I drop my poles left right and centre - so I use straps generally

?? you carry three poles? snowHead
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
When I skied off piste I would use the straps, particularly in powder, for fear of losing a pole in a fall. On piste I don't use the straps.

Interesting, the advice i had was to not use straps offline because you might end up with your arm trapped in the snow. I stopped using them anywhere after that. I do drop them on piste several times a week, usually while pretty much stopped, but that's not too much of a problem.
snow report
I use the leki straps, they detach in an emergency and give me a really solid base to pole/push off.
latest report
I use straps skiing along on flats, especially when I'm pushing as that's where I tend to drop them. For anything more than a steep red, I don't use them just in case, but I've never heard of anyone ever getting hurt or trapped.
snow report
The "don't use straps off piste because they could injure you in an avalanche" rhetoric has been nonsense for years, as long as you buy the right type. I bought Dynastar freeride poles in 2005 that had self releasing straps if you pulled hard on them and I now use Salomon ones that do exactly the same thing. Almost all but their very cheapest and race poles have the S3 safety release in them now.
snow report
@DJL, that centre one isn't a pole.
snow report
I was taught the 'don't use straps off piste' thing, but not totally convinced that it made any sense. I stopped using straps totally after having a simple fall and dislocating my shoulder. I'm not sure that was the cause, but maybe...
latest report
@Je suis un Skieur, not sure that it qualifies as nonsense if there's such a large caveat as "you have to own the right type". None of my poles have been that type, so for me it does still apply...also I really don't get the requirement for straps in the first place
ski holidays
@Hurtle, it was just that the OP has analysed things and come to his / her own judgement. I do things differently but they sound quite sensible.
snow report
Thomasski wrote:
I use the leki straps, they detach in an emergency and give me a really solid base to pole/push off.

Can you set the level of emergency which they will detach in? Full ragdoll down a crevasse to out of Apple strudel *ping-ping* *clatter*
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
None of my poles have been that type, so for me it does still apply...

How, exactly, when you've already said that you don't use straps anywhere?

SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
also I really don't get the requirement for straps in the first place

Maybe for people that regularly drop their poles on piste?
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

also I really don't get the requirement for straps in the first place

It's a carry-over from when poles were an essential part of propulsion on skis .
When used correctly (ie hand up through the strap) the force of poling is directed through the strap to the pole , rather than having to be gripped tightly in the hand which will cause fatigue in the hand.
Now - probably just to stop the inept dropping them at inopportune moments .
There's definitely something to be said for poles not being attached to your hands in the event of a fall though.
snow report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
None of my poles have been that type, so for me it does still apply...

How, exactly, when you've already said that you don't use straps anywhere?

rolling eyes and why do you think I might have stopped using the straps? Perhaps it's because my poles don't have straps which easily detach.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

Can you set the level of emergency which they will detach in? Full ragdoll down a crevasse to out of Apple strudel *ping-ping* *clatter*

I currently have them set to a low threshold of blood-genepi content: instant unhindered access to the flask.
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, here you go, get yourself some of these. Then you'll be able to win your argument that you don't understand the requirement for straps in the first place and stop dropping them on the piste. Thank me later.

https://www.komperdell.com/en/Nationalteam-Freeride-19mm/K1444203-48-120
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
It's a carry-over from when poles were an essential part of propulsion on skis

When was this actually the case? Isn't gravity the essential part of propulsion on skis, or are we talking cross-country skiing now?
ski holidays
@Pyramus, If you've ever seen a pair of bamboo poles in a ski museum they're usually about 160cm long for extra leverage. We're talking the era of skis with wooden bases that require a lot more effort to get going.
snow report
@Je suis un Skieur, argument? I just commented that I didn't see it as a reason, once I started skiing without the straps I realised that it's not really a big problem for me when I drop my poles, given that it's usually when I'm pretty much standing still/looking at a piste map.

I appreciate your concern but I'm happy enough with my current poles.
snow report
Pyramus wrote:
Roguevfr wrote:
It's a carry-over from when poles were an essential part of propulsion on skis

When was this actually the case? Isn't gravity the essential part of propulsion on skis, or are we talking cross-country skiing now?

Ski touring still exists...
snow conditions
@Thomasski, so does rickets.

In fairness ski poles predate skis. You'd use your Alpenstock a bit like a witches broom and slide down the mountainside on your feet, normally had a small ice axe/pick on one end and a metal point on the other for keeping bears/dragons/goiter afflicted peasantry at bay. Would have used a leather strap to wrap around your wrist too... so strapless nu-skoolers take note.
latest report
It isn't "don't use straps off piste" as that makes no sense. It's "don't use them in the trees", if the trees are such that they could grab your pole. Very likely an overstated risk in my view but whatever. I use strapless grips and will never use poles with straps again. I can get in and out of the grips instantly, they hang on the safety bar, and vs. having but not using straps, I don't leave a pole behind if it gets stuck after a plant or if I fall.
snow report
I thought at lease Leki and scott straps did release if tugged hard enough.... One end of the strap had a plastic open slot/clip that located around the screw. This enabled the strap to release one end in a yard sale type fall.

@Pyramus, obviously getting bored again following the 'who's fault' thread....
ski holidays
I'm pretty sure there have been cases where people have been rescued quickly in avalanches because their pole (still attached to hand) has been seen poking out the snow. I took thought the don't use straps off piste was more for trees, where the concern was pole getting caught on a branch. Although even that seems pretty low risk.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, I dunno, I've fallen off piste and ended up with a pole a foot or two below the surface where it's been difficult to pull back out, can easily see how that could be worse and cause issues if tied to the pole.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle,

Friend of mine caught his pole on a tree, which then somehow or another pulled him into the tree which then proceeded to almost de-glove his lower arm! Shocked
Don't think he skis with pole straps in the trees anymore! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy