Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

My query is this, do you have to have a base grind when asking for an edge and wax? After the last week in January my planks have no edges at all and as for the poor board, well about as sharp as an ironing board!.

I'm pretty certain I only used to have a basic edge and wax but now where ever I look locally they want to do a base grind too. Ok, my local is pretty good but I thought the more you grind the quicker they wear out.

I actually had a lovely pair of 1st generation Rossy Bandit B1's back in the day which I loved dearly but on the last service was told that the bases were getting thin so that was the last grind he was prepared to do on them.

Any thoughts?

TIA.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No. My skis only ever have side edges sharpened and wax applied.

I'd be wary of anywhere suggesting they need to do a base grind every time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never ask for a machine grind unless you really trust the tech and have a personal line of communications. Most techs grind the hell out to get rid of scratches unnecessarily as it seems that customers expect pristine if short lived bases. My Directors look like they've been through several machete wars ( to be fair as a demo ski @ midgetbiker and punters had already dragged them over every rock in CHX before I got them) but they still glide.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's quite rare to have a base grind tbh certainly not each time you have them edged and waxed. Usually only needed if the ski base is not level, ie convex/concave or if you want to reduce the base angle from say 0.75 to 0.5 ( ie grind ski to zero then add 0.5 degrees) or if the ptex is battered. However, sounds like your skis may be in need of some tcl and need squaring up so its not necessarily a bad thing to have it done, just doesn't need doing every time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rwilson,
Quote:

It's quite rare to have a base grind tbh

That's what I thought, only needed if the bases are trashed. I make a point of saying "don't do a base grind", but last time he insisted on the board, it really didn't look that bad, in fact I thought it was really rather good! . All I want is sharp edges and a bit of wax!

@Dave of the Marmottes, I have been using this bloke for years, honestly he's been great at servicing my kit, as he's quite anal in a good way. But maybe it's his age (or mine!) Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"I actually had a lovely pair of 1st generation Rossy Bandit B1's back in the day which I loved dearly but on the last service was told that the bases were getting thin so that was the last grind he was prepared to do on them."

Perhaps considering the cost of needing uk shipping ...consider getting spyderjohn at the piste office to do the best he can with them regarding a full service .

Some service centres in resort are just butchers working over tourists which may be why your bases are so thin in the first place .
You can use them for wax and side edges but not a base grind but even then they may remove too much edge metal with a machine .

Everyones personal service situation is different but it seems sensible paying more to get it done 100% right, rather than using random unknowns working the one week tourist trade

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 17-02-24 17:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gixxerniknik, Why not DIY? Edge and wax not difficult or (that) time consuming. Great way of keeping old skis alive...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same from me, in regard to base grind each time, not routinely unless there's reason to correct any particular issue.

Our family skis are not absolutely perfect, but we're not racing them, inspected and cleaned base, good edge condition/finish and then waxed.

I also do bases by hand if general conditioning shows that there's need to maintain them. Significant problems would likely need a machine refinish, but very infrequently.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski, I actually bought an iron and Toko edging tool when Edge and Wax went under. I gave it a go for a few years, but I'm really not that good at getting the edges sharp and consistent...you could say I consistently made a hash of it! (sorry). Edge and Wax were much better at it. I didn't mind the waxing though, despite Mrs G worrying about stray bits of wax.

I generally take a stick of PTex with me to fill any gouges in the evenings but I struggle with weight as it is, I couldn't get the servicing gear in teh bags.

@Tirol 164, The only time I had a service in resort was in Revelstoke after a week in Fernie, my mate had his done at the same time and both our skis were horrible after, God knows what the bloke did to them but they were much better after a service back home....so never again I think!
I really should have got the skis serviced in Serre Chevalier in January because they were pretty dull after just a day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I actually had a lovely pair of 1st generation Rossy Bandit B1's back in the day

Beautiful. The straight Bandits were my first skis. Off topic, but they always looked like you had put the left ski on the right leg and vice versa. I could never work out why but it passed the time on the lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy