Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeking Advice: Considering New Year's Week at Club Med Les Arcs Panorama for Families with Yo

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, it´s my first post here!

I'm planning a snow holiday with my wife and our 3-year-old daughter at the Hotel Club Med Les Arcs Panorama. I'm torn between the New Year's week of 2025 and the first week of the year. The early booking discount dates are approaching, so I'm seeking advice and information from those who have been there during this period.

My main concern is whether the resort gets too crowded during New Year's week due to school holidays and New Year's celebrations. I'm worried about potential lift queues and the number of people on the slopes, especially considering we'll be with our young daughter.

Additionally, I'd like to know if Hotel Club Med Les Arcs Panorama meets the expectations of families with young children. While I know there is good infrastructure for children, I'd like to hear specific experiences from other parents who have been there. What are the activities like for children my daughter's age? Is the animation team attentive and prepared to deal with young children?

If anyone can share their experiences or provide some tips on the best time to visit Hotel Club Med Les Arcs Panorama, as well as information on the suitability of the resort for families with young children, I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you in advance for your help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, welcome to snowheads.

I Went through panorama on the bus on the way down from 2000 last week. Can't have been open long, certainly very nice and new. I also skied down to it one morning after getting the new lift over from st esprit instead of using bois. Seemed to be one of the quieter areas of paradiski to me. Passed lots of ski schools on the way down and took some kids up with me on mont blanc. Noticed a couple of magic carpets right next to it, however I dont there are any long wide and flat green type runs there for once progressing past kids areas. The runs off St Jacques in 1950/2000 were definitely the best first proper beginners runs in the area. Depends what level you are at in that respect, if you can get down a blue track then it should be fine anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@henriqueniehues, I would definitely go the week after New Year when it should be less crowded. I have been to Club med but not that one.

I would have a look at the Club Med in La Rosiere if you have a three year old as it is a more family orientated resort and the runs near the residence are easier.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My main concern is whether the resort gets too crowded during New Year's week due to school holidays and New Year's celebrations.

Yes, it does. To be avoided if at all possible!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
henriqueniehues wrote:

My main concern is whether the resort gets too crowded during New Year's week due to school holidays and New Year's celebrations. I'm worried about potential lift queues and the number of people on the slopes, especially considering we'll be with our young daughter.

Yes it does and yes you're right to be concerned.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Xmas and New Year are busiest weeks, but it’s still possible to avoid the crowds. Is this one the newest one above 1600?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The early booking discount dates are approaching,

When are the early booking discounts coming in? Looking to go to the Club med in Val Thorens the week prior to Xmas. Hoping to get it cheaper than currently advertised? Any body been too this one before it looks great...!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to the Club Med at Val Thorens.

It's an adults only resort, so nothing laid on for kids/teenagers (although that doesn't stop a few being there).

A bit of an odd layout as it was designed with punters input (Trapeze anyone?) and also you had to pay for what I required as standard activities (Access to hot tub via the bar!)

Brings back good memories as Wales Vs England in 6 Nations was shown live in one corner of the bar. The South African deputy Chef de Village made sure there was constant beers being brought to us. I think we drank them out of beer!

Good quality food etc as you would expect

PS For an extra 5% discount try a travel company like IfYouSki (Not affiliated, just used them for about the last five years for the discount)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi

I have been on approximately 18 Club Med ski holidays.

I've not stayed at Les Arcs Panorama but have been there for lunch. It is one of the biggest Club Med's - we found it almost too big and therefore it was a bit impersonal because of that.

Our son learnt to ski at Club Med Alpe D'Huez - this club has been refitted fairly recently and sits on a sunny plateau just outside the main town. Alpe D'Huez has great slopes for younger skiers all of which are right on the edge of the town so are really easily accessed from the Club Med.

We also really like Club Med Plagne 2100 which has a great terrace for lunch time drinks and meal and also has access to good slopes for younger skiers. Serre Chevalier is another one you could consider - very popular with families although it does not have the easiest ski in / out set up.

Regards
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
redthunder wrote:
Quote:

The early booking discount dates are approaching,

When are the early booking discounts coming in? Looking to go to the Club med in Val Thorens the week prior to Xmas. Hoping to get it cheaper than currently advertised? Any body been too this one before it looks great...!

30% discount from march 5 to 8
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Griggs wrote:
Hi

I have been on approximately 18 Club Med ski holidays.

I've not stayed at Les Arcs Panorama but have been there for lunch. It is one of the biggest Club Med's - we found it almost too big and therefore it was a bit impersonal because of that.

Our son learnt to ski at Club Med Alpe D'Huez - this club has been refitted fairly recently and sits on a sunny plateau just outside the main town. Alpe D'Huez has great slopes for younger skiers all of which are right on the edge of the town so are really easily accessed from the Club Med.

We also really like Club Med Plagne 2100 which has a great terrace for lunch time drinks and meal and also has access to good slopes for younger skiers. Serre Chevalier is another one you could consider - very popular with families although it does not have the easiest ski in / out set up.

Regards

It's good to hear that! I've been considering Alpe D'Huez as well, and it does seem like a good option. The location within the village looks appealing. We recently visited Valmorel and loved the area, so we're looking for something similar, with entertainment options beyond what the hotel offers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for the insights! My wife and I are both beginners, so more comfortable on blue runs, probably our child will be in the hotel's nursery during the day, allowing us to enjoy the slopes, we also want to make the most of the time we have with her by exploring other areas and not just staying confined to the hotel.

We've found La Rosiere to be highly recommended for families, but we're currently leaning towards Les Arcs due to the convenient funicular to Bourg St Maurice. This not only offers more activity options like dining out and leisurely walks.

Alpe d'Huez seems to be big, with many slopes and a sunny climate, which is enticing. I´m curious to know if the atmosphere is more like other renowned French resorts such as Val Thorens and Courchevel, too crowded and festive. Any insights into the atmosphere and amenities of Alpe d'Huez would be greatly appreciated!

As I mentioned, we´ve been to Valmorel and enjoyed very much, and would like to replicate that. Unfortunately the weather conditions were not that good. We had up to 10°C on some days. I'm hopeful that we won't encounter similar weather patterns next year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

Alpe D’Huez Club Med is close to the town so it is pretty easy to wander into town for a change of scene. It is quite an animated place with some nice bars and restaurants as well as being large enough to feel that a walk is worthwhile.

Les Arcs Panorama sits above Arcs 1600 - not sure how easy it is to wander into the village. Note the word village rather than town here - Arcs 1600 looks to be quite small although as you say it is connected to Bourg St Maurice by the funicular. One thing we did note about Les Arcs Panorama is the amazing views down the valley and the peaceful wooded location.

Regards

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 16-02-24 15:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@henriqueniehues, I would say ADH is similar to Val T and Courch.

From what you have written above it sounds like you are thinking of taking the funi down to BsM of an evening? Not sure why you would do that tbh - especially in something like a Club Med?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne Thanks for the insights, I had this impression.

Regarding the idea of taking the funicular down to Bourg St Maurice in the evening, it's more of an opportunity to explore beyond the confines of the hotel, especially considering that Les Arcs seems quite isolated. From this perspective, perhaps Alpe d'Huez would also be a suitable option. I particularly enjoyed the views from the hotel in Les Arcs, and it's something we're taking into consideration as we make our decision.
ski holidays
I don't blame you wanting to get out of a hotel but even small resorts will have a range of bars etc. it's always such a schlep getting to a ski resort than in just a week I never feel much like going anywhere else.
snow conditions
@henriqueniehues, I would take the funi down for novelty value only.

BsM isn't all that from what I know and if I was me I'd rather being having apres on the terrace or in the sauna/pool. A wander round 1600 would be enough fresh area on a January evening after a days skiing (all IMO obv).

I think you are correct to focus on how tailored the facility will be for your 3yo.
snow conditions
How old is your child?
ski holidays
@Origen, OP says 3
snow report
Quote:
30% discount from march 5 to 8
is that direct with Club Med. Our boys are 16 and 14 and not bothered about the entertainment. Would it be good for them do you think? We have stayed at MMV opposite for a couple of years and I can’t do it again. It is cheap but you get what you pay for !!
snow report
The Club Med at Arc 1600 is the huge monstrosity above the village. The slopes around the building itself are very gentle but then it is a bit steeper to get to one of the lifts to move further afield. Judging by the number of children’s ski classes returning at noon it is very popular for small children.
To get to the village itself you will have to get the navette around. It is not an easy walk. The navettes run every 20 – 30 minutes and drop you off at the top of the funicular. A trip down the funicular is in itself worth doing especially if you go to the very front, better than many a fairground ride.

There isn't much in 1600 to warrant a trip on its own, unless you have a particular interest in architecture. Most of the village has listed status and I would recommend one of the guided tours if that is what takes your fancy

Les Arcs will be very busy New Year week with lift queues exceeding 5 minutes and busy pistes. If you get the chance I would recommend going the week after.
latest report
We have stayed in two Club Meds so far, Les Arcs Panorama and Tignes. Like yourselves we are a family of three, though when we stayed in Les Arcs our son was around six years old.
Overall, we had a great time in both, but will detail the Les Arcs resort a little more. The hotel is rather large and sits above the village of Arc 1600, at around 1700m. The primary selling point for this hotel is the views. Many rooms have great views over the valley and surrounding mountains including Mont Blanc, but the restaurant especially has phenomenal panoramic views (hence the name).

The kids club is great, and I presume your daughter will be four by the time you go? If she is still three, I believe the petit club and ski lessons cost a little extra. There is a small nursery slope with 2x magic carpets just behind the hotel for beginners and kids. The hotel is located at the Mont Blanc slope, which is a blue which takes you down to Arc 1600. It is proper ski-in ski-out. The kids club and ski lessons are combined, so you drop your child off in the hotel at the kids club area. The kids always return for lunch to the Club Med so it is very easy to pick them up when you want to do half and half days – i.e. you go out skiing with your wife or ESF group in the morning and then pick your child up at/after lunch to do other activities (or ski together when they are more advanced).

Club Meds tend to be rather large so you find that the hotels are quite busy, with many people and the pool can get very crowded. That being said they manage the crowds rather well and food is very good for buffet style food. Also has lots of choices for kids food – for those picky eaters.
I would very much recommend this Club Med, and whilst we didn’t find the need to explore other villages/BSM, it is quite doable, there is a frequent bus to 1600/1950/2000.

Just to add a quick comparison between the Tignes and Les Arc Panorama Club Meds, as hotel we much preferred the Les Arcs one, primarily due to the views, but also better rooms and overall feel of the place. It was great returning after a long day on the slopes to sit outside in the sun and enjoy the views with a nice drink.
Ski-area wise we preferred Tignes/VdI but that was primarily due to better conditions at the time in Tignes, and the fact that we traveled at Easter, where the general higher elevation of Tignes ensures better snow conditions. But I think for your proposed period, 1st week of January, Les Arcs would be ideal, especially with all the tree lined runs around 1600/1800.

We haven’t stayed at the AdH Club Med, but from the pictures it does appear quite similar to the Les Arcs Club Med, with the advantage for you that it is closer to other amenities and less isolated.

I think you’ll have a great stay whichever one you chose. To reiterate what many have already highlighted: Go for the first Jan week (5th – 12th) rather than over NYE, as it should be significantly quieter.
ski holidays
Thank you all for the invaluable insights. We're strongly inclined towards choosing Les Arcs Panorama.

@ski_free, your detailed descriptions of Les Arcs Panorama, particularly its stunning views, family-friendly amenities, and convenient ski-in ski-out access, helped us immensely!

Our little girl's well-being is our top priority. Any mishap with her could affect our entire trip and ruin everything.

We believe the first week of January, rather than New Year's Eve, is the better choice considering the expected crowds during the Christmas holidays.

Your contributions have been instrumental in guiding us towards what we believe will be a memorable and enjoyable ski holiday for our family.

@redthunder Just to give you a heads up, sales for the next season starts on February 25th, so you get a sense of the prices for the upcoming season. The 30% discount window runs from March 5th to 8th and can be booked directly on the website.

Last year, I booked for Valmorel and got some discounts. A couple of friends who traveled with us booked last minute and ended up paying nearly 40% more than what I did. If you're planning, it's worth checking out the prices and discounts available.

As for Club Med, gotta say, we loved it! It was our first time there, and we're definitely going back for more. For the kids, even if they're not big on the entertainment stuff, Club Med could still be a blast. The vibe, activities, and facilities are usually top-notch and cater to different tastes and ages.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy