Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

jnr skis for 7 and 9 yr olds

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We're off for 3 weeks skiing in March and then maybe to do a season in NZ. Therefore thinking of buying our 7 and 9 yr old boys some skis for this....

Am looking at 2nd hand on sites like

https://www.mardosport.co.uk/e-1764-children-s-junior-skis-atomic-redster-xt-bend-x-red-race-rocker-atomic-xte-7-top-condition#/42-ski_length-120

who seem to have a lot of ATOMIC REDSTER X2, XTs, J2s? Our boys are quite proficient, will be 6th week on snow and are 3rd ski and bronze ski with oxygene.

Ive no idea if these skis are suitable/ a good buy. I assume theyre all ex rentals so unsure how much ware and tear they have left in them!? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
noodlehat wrote:

Ive no idea if these skis are suitable/ a good buy. I assume theyre all ex rentals so unsure how much ware and tear they have left in them!? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think that’s exactly the problem - no way of knowing whether they have any life left in them at all. On the other hand, you should be able to get a good price on ex-rental gear locally when you go skiing in March, and at least you can see the skis and try them out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just buy new on Ekosport or Glisshop, they won't be much more expensive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with doddsie given the amount of use you are going to get out of them plus you can sell them on when they have outgrown them.

K2 Juvy's were my go to when the kids were younger.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
great many thanks, with these front rocker skis, was thinking something around chin / nose gheight for our boys. ie eldest us 132cm tall, looking at a 120 ski...?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@noodlehat, yeah something like that. Mine would be using them over several spaced out trips so I would tend to a longer ski but in your situ that wouldn't be the case.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, just wondering what twin tips like these are like for progressing and that many have centered bindings that must ski/ feel different? I like the idea that they're a bit more fun but concerned they may take away from learning better piste technique/ carving?

Was alternatively looking at piste skis like the Rossi Hero Jr Multi-Event.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/rossignol/alpine-ski-set-hero-jr-multi-event-kid-x-bindings38494597?optionId=28034315&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAuNGuBhAkEiwAGId4ajEUOrtCpxBXYbSohlacO9t8FykKNa2g80nYHXbOx-pedtzLwgDVNhoCzdcQAvD_BwE

@telford_mike, we've got a price for 3.5 weeks hire from a local ski shop for 160eur which sounds pretty decent, If we were interested in buying the rented skis I assume this is something we discuss upfront and would probably not be much more/ if at all!?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
noodlehat wrote:

@telford_mike, we've got a price for 3.5 weeks hire from a local ski shop for 160eur which sounds pretty decent, If we were interested in buying the rented skis I assume this is something we discuss upfront and would probably not be much more/ if at all!?

That’s certainly the way it would work here. We're getting towards the end of the season now, so those skis don't 'owe' the shop very much money any more.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used to buy skis for the grandkids from EcoSport or Glisshop (pre Brexit though), and then sell them on after they had been passed down through the kids. Used just for holidays on snow and properly cared for secondhand values were high enough that they cost less than £10 per weeks use.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
noodlehat wrote:
@Layne, just wondering what twin tips like these are like for progressing and that many have centered bindings that must ski/ feel different? I like the idea that they're a bit more fun but concerned they may take away from learning better piste technique/ carving?

Was alternatively looking at piste skis like the Rossi Hero Jr Multi-Event.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/rossignol/alpine-ski-set-hero-jr-multi-event-kid-x-bindings38494597?optionId=28034315&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAuNGuBhAkEiwAGId4ajEUOrtCpxBXYbSohlacO9t8FykKNa2g80nYHXbOx-pedtzLwgDVNhoCzdcQAvD_BwE

Everything was about having fun for our kids. They didn't go to ski school, we just taught them ourselves (not recommending anyone else does that, it just worked for us), so we would do some piste skiing, a bit of mellow off piste, then head to a snowpark, we'd do some tricks on the piste, do some jumps of the edges of the piste, paths through the forest - so I really liked the idea of an all rounder, fun, easy to use ski. As they got older we transitioned to all mountain type skis - some with twin tips but generally not. If they are going to be ski schooling mostly piste skiing then the Hero's look ideal.

One thing I would say is that kids don't think about or know too much about their gear. They will find hard to articulate what they feel about it. And will generally just crack on. Boots they will complain about.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy