Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Chamonix resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Good eve phillys and squires,

3 of us are planning on Chamonix in 2025. We’re planning on using Airbnb and will probably hire a car from Geneva airport.

The only thing we can’t fully decide on is which area to stay in. Chamonix village looks like it has a lot going on but will involve a little travel to get to places using the unlimited pass. We’re looking for somewhere that has a little night life, some music, sports games to watch etc. Not fussed for the chaotic parties.

Were just after some advice on wether we’re better of somewhere like Saint Gervais where Evasion is easier to access. Or is Chamonix easy enough since we’ll have a car and is worth it for the non ski options.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tino85, welcome.

Chamonix town. No question.

Also question whether the Unlimited is really good value for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix town definitely. We stayed in Le Tour for a few years when the kids were very small but would only stay in Chamonix now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tino85, it depends on who your group are and what you want to do - and how long you have.

Chamonix itself is the ultimate mountain town, having been a base for visitors since the early alpinists over 200 years ago. But as a ski resort it is pretty disjointed with several unconnected ski areas (other than by car/bus/train). Its reputation is largely around skiing often described here as "gnarly" - off-piste or otherwise challenging - although some sections are more benign.

As above, the other question is whether you would need the Unlimited pass. If you are there for a week - and of an ability to make full use of all the terrain - then probably not, you would need four days just to explore the different areas and you would find some merit a repeat visit.

If you are more of an intermediate skier - so the Chamonix blacks and off-piste are less attractive - St Gervais is a reasonable alternative. There are over 400 km of pistes in Evasion MB, though you would need to use your car or the buses (pretty easy) for Combloux and Les Contamines. And if that wasn't enough you could always spend a day in Les Houches, one of the Chamonix valley resorts which can be directly accessed via the rack-and-pinion railway (but requires a different ski pass, so you would have to plan ahead).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix = tourists
Argentiere = mountain men
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses.
In respond to a few of the questions it’s myself, a mate both unfortunately hitting 40 and my old man. All intermediate skiers blues and reds, but this time after a year attempting to practise boarding at snozone 2 of us will be trying that.
Does the standard Chamonix pass give you access to Evasion as that looks a definite call at some point.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends how important the "non-ski options" are compared to easier access to plenty of blues and reds. Chamonix doesn't seem ideal for beginner boarders. Dates? Do you have to decide now? Might be better to wait and see where the snow is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From next year there’ll be a new gondola down to Le Fayet so the Evasion area will be an even shorter drive from Chamonix.

If I was doing it I’d stay in Chamonix, get the Unlimited pass and a hire car, and do a different area every day including Courmayeur and Evasion, but I value the variety, especially over a week. If I thought I was going to ski multiple days at Evasion though I’d just keep it simple and stay at St Gervais or Megeve rather than feel like I had a daily commute on my holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From what you’re describing I’d say StG.
To me it sounds like you want casual restaurants & a couple of bars that show the football/rugby. Not a full blown boom boom club.
9 years in at 30+ days a year and I’ve only wondered off the Evasion area once to Les Houches.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As Has been said if you are new boarders then definitely not chamonix, its not a great place for beginners, the runs are often at the hard end of the classification, while chamonix is a lively town it is very disjointed for skiing, st gervais is pretty central to the whole area if you want the unlimited pass but not sure that is really warranted for a single week, there are plenty of good bars showing sports plus there is a ice hockey club that plays there and in megeve which are always worth going to if they have a game on, there is also one in chamonix
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

As Has been said if you are new boarders then definitely not chamonix, its not a great place for beginners, the runs are often at the hard end of the classification, while chamonix is a lively town it is very disjointed for skiing,

+1

Plus wight beginners/low intermediates you'll be spending you trip mainly getting the bus from Cham town to Le Tour which is far and annoying.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Again thanks a lot for the advice everyone, feel free to keep it coming.

Based on the responses and that it'll be my first time boarding on the real mountains StG looks like the option and we can always drive/taxi to Chamonix for a night or 2 and next time around stay up there, plus I think the old man will prefer been closer to the slopes.

It looks like a confusing range to get around but i'm sure once we have our bearings we'll understand it. in regards to the location of StG I can see its a cable car up to Houches, and the same the other side to get to Megeve. Is it up one of these you go to get to Evasion, if I don't have to drive and can enjoy a beer on the mountain i'd much prefer it Smile

Thanks again
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tino85, yes if you are in St Gervais town there is a gondola on one side taking you up to Mont D'Arbois and the ridge over to Megeve, and the "tramway" (rack and pinion railway) the other side up to Les Houches (not EMB). If you ski down to the Megeve side there is a cable car across the valley to the Rochebrune area of Megeve, all connected. And a free ski bus from the same place to the Le Jaillet gondola across town for access to the Combloux area.

The other area on the EMB pass is Les Contamines up the valley, and well worth a visit especially if the snow is a bit soft around St G. If you have a car you can drive up, but the local bus service works pretty well too.

I think the EMB pass claims to cover 440 km of piste. Plenty for a week. From memory there is about 270 km all lift connected from the St G gondola, about 70 km in Combloux and about 100 km in Les Contamines. Les Houches is another 70 km but would require buying a separate day pass.

The majority of runs are blues and reds so probably what you are looking for. There are of course blacks as well including a couple of pretty satisfying ones.

Bars: the obvious recommendation would have been the Sports Bar by the ice rink which had several screens in different bars showing things. However a couple of weeks ago I noticed it had been rebadged so I don't know whether they are changing the TV sport emphasis. Several of the bars in the middle of town have screens, but tend only to show matches of interest to the French.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
j b wrote:
@Tino85, yes if you are in St Gervais town there is a gondola on one side taking you up to Mont D'Arbois and the ridge over to Megeve, and the "tramway" (rack and pinion railway) the other side up to Les Houches (not EMB). If you ski down to the Megeve side there is a cable car across the valley to the Rochebrune area of Megeve, all connected. And a free ski bus from the same place to the Le Jaillet gondola across town for access to the Combloux area.

Thanks a lot for the explanation, I think I was getting confused around EMB and didn't realise it covered such big number of locations.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As beginner boarders might be worth looking at action outdoors as they do all inclusive trips to France with ucpa. I've stayed at argentiere which was excellent and also in cham itself which was also great but more walking around to get to the slopes.
ski holidays
@Tino85, I'm not entirely clear as to what's attracting you so much to Chamonix and its environs?

I'd personally be looking at e.g. Avoriaz or Flaine?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Tino85, I'm not entirely clear as to what's attracting you so much to Chamonix and its environs?

I'd personally be looking at e.g. Avoriaz or Flaine?

I think it’s just because none of us have done it and we’re hiring a car so wanted something close to the airport. Also the few airbnb we have found are really good price compared to other resort’s surprisingly and 3 bedrooms.

I was debating Meribel or Avoriaz I’ve done that before but it was a pricey place… although most popular places are now.
snow conditions
There might be a reason why some accommodation is cheap!
snow conditions
So it's come down to StG, Morzine (which we've done before), or les gets. All accommodations similar (airbnb), LG is pretty much a ski in/out accommodation, Morzine is a 15min walk into the centre/slopes.
ski holidays
Chamonix is epic, despite all the hassle. But I’d rather be driving to each area for sure.
snow report
What dates are you looking at, @Tino85?
snow report
Origen wrote:
What dates are you looking at, @Tino85?

Probably 2nd week of march
snow conditions
Really comes down to, do you want to go to a British resort in France or a French resort in France.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy