Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech, Zermatt or Ischgl for Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - looking to book a trip for my family (myself, wife and three teens aged 19, 16 and 13), who are all experienced skiers, at Christmas and can’t decide between Lech, Zermatt and Ischgl.

My wife and I went to Lech at end of Jan and had bad luck with snow so want the most snow sure resort and one with enough nightlife for the teens.

We loved the size of the ski area but my gut says go with Zermatt for the experience and height of the skiing area but my wallet says go with Ischgl!

Any advice on best choice or recommendations if I should consider another Austrian or Swiss resort appreciated! Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl's got a massive 3s lift that takes you up a huge amount of elevation to the mid mountain. There is plenty of skiing at that level and above. If conditions are dodgy you may have to download, but it's not the end of the world. Schatzi's is a bit seedy and the town is a bit characterless. The lift system is very well developed with few queues.

Zermatt is my favourite, but it was pricey 15-20 years ago when the exchange rate was double what it is today. Short of a lottery win I doubt I'll be able to go back. Although I'm sure someone will be along soon to show me how it can be done for tuppence ha'penny as long as you're willing to make a few sacrifices... wink

If money was no object, I'd go with Zermatt. However taking into account finances, I'd choose Ischgl.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's probably worth mentioning, regarding Zermatt, that it is a better bet later in the season rather than earlier.

It isn't blessed with especially heavy snowfall relative to altitude

The terrain is rocky and requires more snow than pastureland

Storms can really shut huge amounts of the mountain down further up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@shackett,
*For natural snow in the village (for Christmas atmosphere...) Lech is best. Additionally snowmaking in the ski area nowadays is much better than some years ago. But your teens might find Lech a bit dull for nightlife
*But for artificial snow in the skiingarea Ischgl is best
*I've been to Zermatt at Christmas time and found it way too cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kramer, Schatzi (Agreed on the seedy part) is only there if you download via the Pardastchgratbahn or the Fimbabahn.....you can come straight into the top of village if you take the Silvrettabah from Idalp.

The town is far from characterless, there's still some lovely bars and restaurants to be found....Ischgl is far from a full on Schlagertown, you just need to know where to go.

As for accommodation??, ignore the tour operators and booking sites, you're best served emailing the tourist office and look for offers of accommodation....you'll be spoiled for choice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dazman, there are some great bars. But they're not in a particularly lovely situation IMV.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shackett,
What are your priorities? Village level snow? Snow sure skiing? Xmas ambience?
Mountain/village restaurants? Apres-ski? etc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone.

In response to what my priority is - best skiing conditions/snow sure skiing is first, followed by ambience and bars for the kids. Thanks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@shackett,
I would put Zermatt top of those 3 for snow sure skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kenzie - would you say Ischgl would be second. Zermatt is looking quite pricey!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@shackett, Ischgl is as snowsure as Zermatt, just maybe not down to the village. It's got a huge amount at 2000m plus that's easily accessed from the village.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@shackett, I imagine that your kids will enjoy the traditional apri ski bars that you get in the likes of Ischgl, and it is snow sure. That can be great fun for the young and not so old at heart. You don't get that in Lech and didn't see any when I was in Zermatt.

Another option is Fiss, also has a great high energy apres ski and is fairly high. If your kids like dancing on the tables in their ski boots and singing "Depp Depp Depp Johnny Depp" at the top of their voices at 4pm then the Hexenalm is the place for them.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JimboS, a lot of teenagers in the pic; a lot of them rather grey, bold and wrinkly. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, Laughing the later it got the older the crowd, at 3pm it was mostly toddlers having the time of their lives.

By comparison Lech was more a glass of bubbly followed by an Egg Nog in a mini ice cream cone, although the Rud Alpe did come alive with a live band on Friday.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@shackett, Lech. snowHead
snow report
Zermatt.

It's got a big Toblerone above the village.

No contest.
snow conditions
@shackett, It really depends what you want from your holiday. If snow sure is the most important thing then Ischgl, it has just about the longest season of any non glacial resort in the alps - late November to early May, yes the home runs are often rubbish but they are a small part of the skiing. I am of the opinion that the village is tacky and overpriced but probably ideal for teenagers / folk in their 20s.

Zermatt is beautiful but as has been pointed out it doesnt get a lot of snow and the terrain is rocky and the high lifts get closed regularly due to wind issues.

Lech is pretty snow sure (you were unlucky at the end of January), the Arlberg gets more snow than anywhere else in the alps. It is nice for Christmas but not exactly a party place (unless champagne and caviar is your thing).

Of the three I would personally probably go for Lech but that is because I am biased towards the Arlberg, Ischgl is possibly the better choice for you, I find the "village" unpleasant but the skiing is very good.
latest report
shackett wrote:
Thanks everyone.

In response to what my priority is - best skiing conditions/snow sure skiing is first, followed by ambience and bars for the kids. Thanks!

If you are good skiers I would put Verbier ahead of Zermatt for skiing and après at Xmas. Zermatt is great in March / April when the snowpack up high is deeper and you can sit outside at the fab mountain restaurants with magic views of the Matterhorn.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy