Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you sit on your poles on a chairlift?

Poster: A snowHead
I recently saw a discussion on a Facebook skiing group that was started by the reluctance of some Americans skiing and snowboarding in Finland to lower the safety bar, something the Europeans of course were used to doing. One (American) commentator said "Skiers don’t like it because if you sit on your poles someone (usually a tourist from out of town) will inevitably slam the bar down on your poles". When asked why someone would sit on their poles the same commentator said "Everyone does this. I don’t want to be holding them whole time so I put them under my leg."

Is this an American thing? I must confess I've never heard of people sitting on their poles on a chairlift. Weird. Puzzled

Edit: Another (again American) commentator said "Never met a skier in my life who doesn’t sit on their poles. Besides knowing how to carry skis this should be one of the first things taught to skiers" Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's an American thing because they have old chairs with wooden slats at the back that allows you to push your poles through. Almost all modern chairs in European resorts have closed back that won't allow the shoving of poles through them.

You can see the effect in Ski Essentials videos:

New chair, holding poles in hands -

http://youtube.com/v/Xcn32hHTeE0?t=220

Old chair, poles between legs -

http://youtube.com/v/h0byPl-Ktt0?t=46

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 13-02-24 11:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Observe any liftie/patroller/instructor using their phone with one hand and eating a buttie with the other. Their poles will be lodged under their leg.

If you want to do something with your hands while you're on the lift, then securing your poles is quite useful, otherwise you might drop them. I normally put the bar down first though, so there's no tangles, and then you have to remember to reverse the order when getting off. Simply put your poles between your legs, then lift one bum cheek and slide the handles under your bottom or thigh. It's not uncomfortable because of all the layers you have on anyway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I sit on my poles and have done more or less since I started (maybe I picked it up on an early trip to the states). I do however only put them there when the bar has come down
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never tuck it under my bum/leg. I did see some ski racers doing it last year, but it looked like hassle.

I normally just tuck them under my arm like a drill sergeant would his cane. That frees up both hands to do whatever I want.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never have, and never will sit on my poles.

Also, what is with the whole safety bar up for the Americans?? Literally don't get it! Same as people who don't wear seat belts when driving. What are the benefits?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Roscoe, I asked that question of an American and the response was “it saves time”. Puzzled

Does it? Does the lift go slower with the bar down? No, it doesn’t save any time at all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I want to use a camera or phone, yes (under a leg rather than sitting on them, which sounds a bit uncomfortable). Otherwise I hold them in one hand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Reddit gets quite heated on the lift bar down or not. The Americans like to point out it is a "comfort" bar not a "safety" bar.

I literally can't see any good reason for NOT using the comfort/safety bar. Lift goes round the same speed if you use it or not! Rest the legs on the foot rest and feel marginally less like you will slip off.

Suspect they would have a heart attack at the nice heated chairs with the pull down shields in Switzerland!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely Californian chap did this with his extra long powder poles. Shoved them out of the back of the slatted chair lift and sat on them. Unable to get them out at the top and ended up hanging like a trapeze artist - much to everyone's amusement.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roscoe wrote:
Never have, and never will sit on my poles.

Also, what is with the whole safety bar up for the Americans?? Literally don't get it! Same as people who don't wear seat belts when driving. What are the benefits?

The benefits: you don't have to bother lowering the bar and then raising it again at the top. Plus "FREEDOM!" Toofy Grin

The drawbacks: you might fall off the chairlift and die, particularly if the chair shakes while going over a pylon or stops suddenly. Skullie

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 13-02-24 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Roscoe, I asked that question of an American and the response was “it saves time”. Puzzled

Does it? Does the lift go slower with the bar down? No, it doesn’t save any time at all.

That's an invalid excuse, as you pointed out, it saves no time. Only conclusion, until a sensible logical reason is provided, is laziness and bravado!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roscoe wrote:
Also, what is with the whole safety bar up for the Americans??

Plenty of places in Europe will just stop the lift until you pull down the safety bar if you haven't done it already.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Also, what is with the whole safety bar up for the Americans??

Plenty of places in Europe will just stop the lift until you pull down the safety bar if you haven't done it already.

And rightly so!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally I loop my poles around one leg so I can have my hands free but noticed skiing with guides the other week they tended to go with the under-bum option - but all of us were doing both options with the safety bar down.

As for "comfort bar" vs "safety bar" I'd love to see some of those Americans on a modern European lift. You know, the ones with all the "Safety bar must be closed during transit" messages written on them - and better still see them freak out when it says "Automatic safety bar" Smile
snow conditions
I just hold the poles in my hands like almost everyone else, usually by putting my hands over the bar and regrasping them.
Quote:

If you want to do something with your hands while you're on the lift,

Now the real question - what do you do with your gloves? I do see them occaisionaly on the snow under the lift. Me, I use the wrist staps.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
I just hold the poles in my hands like almost everyone else, usually by putting my hands over the bar and regrasping them.
Quote:

If you want to do something with your hands while you're on the lift,

Now the real question - what do you do with your gloves? I do see them occaisionaly on the snow under the lift. Me, I use the wrist staps.

Wrist straps!
snow report
Wrist straps for the win. I don’t know what I’d do without gloves with wrist straps.

I did see a stupid insta post the other day where someone dangled their poles off the footrest. It actually works better than you’d think. I’ll try and find it
ski holidays
@johnE, you keep your gloves on your hands?
latest report
rjs wrote:
Happened in Les Arcs, on the Vagere chair, last month as I was waiting to get on.
latest report
I can’t find it. It basically goes like this… put the straps of your poles over the footrest, then secure with rested feet/skis, and let them dangle. When you raise the bar, the poles will be conveniently right in front of you to grab and alight the lift.
snow report
My OH sits on his poles, you don’t get such cold hands apparently not holding poles. Frees up his hands anyway to hold mine, or my gloves if I need to delve into a pocket. I think he picked up the habit from our daughter who spent a season in Whistler.
snow report
Quote:

Happened in Les Arcs, on the Vagere chair, last month as I was waiting to get on.

Same, saw it in Cham at New Year.
snow conditions
Can't remember when I started the habit of sitting on my poles - but it must have been in the last 5ish years after watching a few instructors do it.

The benefit of being completely handsfree on the lift and not having to worry about poles is great.

As the lift is approaching I swing the poles and place the handles between my legs - important that they don't protrude beyond my body - so they do not get stuck in the backrest of a lift. I am literally sitting on the handles.

Depending where I am positioned as the lift approaches, as I sit I then angle them either to the left or the right to avoid the footrest coming down with the safety bar. By having the poles only under my body it is very easy to make adjustments if needed.

As I disembark at the top station and standup I grab the poles and flip back around.

It has all become a reflex now and can't imagine going back to holding poles in my hands on a lift!

For those that have skied with me on the bashes - they will be able to attest no faff and no issues from this technique!
ski holidays
Oh skiers and their poles - what a carry on... you're all nuts.
snow report
I'm a pole sitter-oner. I do always make sure to angle to poles so that they don't get whacked by the foot rest, and if it's a chair with a bubble, and weather that's likely going to result in the bubble being pulled down then I won't sit on them.
snow report
Depends how long the lift is. I’ll sit on them if I want to use my phone or faff about in some way. I think an instructor suggested it once.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

THIS. 1000x THIS!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Wrist straps for the win. I don’t know what I’d do without gloves with wrist straps.

I did see a stupid insta post the other day where someone dangled their poles off the footrest. It actually works better than you’d think. I’ll try and find it

Used to ski with a guy, ran a chalet in Villaroger, later in la Thuile, who would drive his clients to te lifts and ski with them all day, who always did this. It was kinda a party trick, could get people the first time they saw him 'drop' his pole in front of him only to miraculously be looped over the footbar, but after a couple of times it just looked foolish and pointless.

I very rarely might sit on my poles if I'm planning to need some sort of mega-faff while on the lift, but in normal use no. I sometimes just put them across my knees (and my wife's) if there's space and I need a mini-faff, but normally just hold onto them.
snow conditions
I sometimes sit on my poles, either if I know I'm going to eat something or if it's very cold (def helps to avoid cold hands if you are not holding two metal poles in one of them). If I sit on them, i do it before the bar comes down - just have to angle the poles to be clear of the footrest. But mostly i just hold them.

I object very strongly to having to sit on someone else's poles though. Has only happened once, on a 3 man chair where I was on my own, with a couple next to me. I ended up slightly further forward than them, so was sitting down marginally later. Shouldn't be a problem, except that the bloke next to me had his poles across his lap and onto the seat. I didn't see this, so was somewhat surprised when I tried to sit down and couldn't. This was compound by him trying to pull the bar down almost before I'd sat down. It was a non detachable chair, so by this point I was almost out of time to get on. Cue some robust language along with pushing the bar back up, forceful rearrangement of the offending poles and Friday on the bar coming back down again until I was actually on the seat. All of this done by me, with zero acknowledgement from the couple that maybe, just maybe, there was something wrong. I suspect they didn't want to share the chair Laughing
snow report
I can see why see might be useful if you want to use your phone whilst on the lift, but then I never do that, as if its in your pocket you can't drop it off the lift, so if it rings on a lift I ignore it until I'm off (and away from the disembark zone snowHead ). I don't see it as a massive inconvenience to hold two poles together whilst on a lift.
latest report
When it was very cold I liked to curl fingers round the tea bag warmers in my mittens, and that meant jamming the poles under a buttock. In recent years I never used the straps on poles, even when skiing, and certainly wouldn't have them on straps on a chairlift. And getting off - both poles in one hand, vertical, straight ahead of you, and the other hand to push off smartly if necessary.
ski holidays
No.
snow report
So, if you sit on your poles long enough, does it feel like someone else is skiing?
snow conditions
I use Leki Trigger poles, so they don’t have straps. I always tuck them under one leg so the poles are behind one knee and then pressed up against the opposite thigh. This frees my hands so I can eat/drink/text etc but I wouldn’t say I’m sitting on the poles exactly.

I have skied a lot in the US though and have always found it odd that people down lower the bars on chair lifts in what is such a strong litigation-culture.
Not having the bar down definitely doesn’t make you feel comfortable when sitting on a chair with a backpack on, but they do seem to be keen on people taking their packs off, which is a PITA and something I avoid doing if I possibly can
snow conditions
paulhinch wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

THIS. 1000x THIS!!!

Obviously you'll both decline a pole flat bits Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@knackered knees, Not now we know where you keep putting it, Nein Danke!
ski holidays
knackered knees wrote:
paulhinch wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

THIS. 1000x THIS!!!

Obviously you'll both decline a pole flat bits Laughing Laughing Laughing

Step Ons..... if it gets too flat to board, just hop off and walk past the skiers poling it...... wink
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
So, if you sit on your poles long enough, does it feel like someone else is skiing?
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
No. Because it’s uncomfortable.
But then I’m only meagrely gluteally upholstered
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy