Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the impact of French school holidays??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I have skied in Morzine for the last few years and have always been able to avoid the French school holidays. Next season I have a choice of 2 dates mid Jan or early Feb in my usual mates rates accommodation. The early Feb dates clash with Zone B of the French holidays. Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg.

I am trying to organise a family group so some will be in my usual accommodation and some will need to book their own accommodation. I know what to expect in Jan but am half tempted to go in Feb when there would be more snow- this season excepted!!

Anybody on the ground knowledge of how much impact Zone B would have on a resort like Morzine re lift queues and general busy-ness??
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@charliesimpson, Think of the mid-Jan numbers of people and then times by 5
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and double the cost of most accommodation. No brainer if you have the choice!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve skied Morzine/Les Gets once during half term. Cant remember which zone.

My wife bust her knee, my FIL was flattened by an idiot not watching where they were skiing, as was my son. The rest of the week was spent avoiding collisions rather than enjoyable skiing.

I would avoid it at all costs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@charliesimpson, though I've never skied Morzine at half term and aknowledging that it is only one zone on holiday that week I would still avoid the Febuary week and go in January. It is not certain that two or 3 weeks later is going to have significantly better snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks. January now booked!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Empty schools? Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see you’ve booked Jan already. Good choice though that Feb week (only 1/3 of France on holiday, not Paris, no Brits) would not have been a disaster.

The following week however (2/3 France including Paris, U.K., some cloggies) Skullie Skullie
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@charliesimpson, More French people . . . . . .and their offspring Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Generally, the best time (IMO) to ski M/LG is the first week of Feb. Tends to be the quietest week. Very few queues and you can often find yourself with a piste to yourself.

In fact, one time I actually got a little scared on Cyclamen, as I realised that if I fell, no one would find me. It was utterly deserted. Bliss.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The worst weeks are when zone C crosses with another, like next week for example. Not to say that it wouldn't be far busier than what you're used to, but far from the worst time to be skiing.
The biggest noticeable hiccup would be non mates rates accommodation during French half term. It can be way above reasonable pricing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It can be way above reasonable pricing

Eh? It can be what an efficient competitive market will bear. Do you think there should be some sort of state-controlled market for ski accommodation?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Origen wrote:
Quote:

It can be way above reasonable pricing

Eh? It can be what an efficient competitive market will bear. Do you think there should be some sort of state-controlled market for ski accommodation?

yes yes that is exactly what he is suggesting. “Hmm this seems to be getting to a price outside of my comfort zone - I hope the government crush profiteering landlords!!”

Pfft
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An 'above-reasonable' price for a peak week is actually more of a reflection of the actual cost, as discounted prices apply for the lower season ones. Not sure there was any suggestion of state-controlled pricing though. We have enough state control of our (French) properties as it is- tourist tax, taxe Fonciere, taxe d'habitations increased, reduced tax allowances for tourist properties, upgrades to energy-efficiency or we can't rent it out etc etc etc. Ski resort properties have a lot of time where they have no occupancy at all- but bills for stuff still have to be paid all year round.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When you compare it to "mates rates" it is far above what the OP is probably willing to pay, or what they may accept as a reasonable price, even during the peak weeks.
It's not the proletariat uprising against the market.
snow conditions
@moody_git, mates rates are rarely a good decision for anyone renting out an apartment/chalet and wanting to cover their costs. And peak season rates should be the same for everyone.
snow report
I'm not disagreeing, @Hells Bells
I'm quite surprised that anybody would be letting to a friend on the cheap over those weeks which would help cover the costs more than any others.
ski holidays
When we had an apartment it was never rented out for money - but as we weren't there in the school holiday weeks (as we didn't do lift queues) we sometimes did "swaps" with friends in the same development who borrowed ours for visiting friends and family, in return for our borrowing theirs in one of the quiet weeks. And French friends just along the corridor used to borrow ours, maybe just one overspill bedroom, when we weren't there. No money changed hands and we could all trust each other to look after things properly and sort out any problems which arose. For much of the year there is no likelihood of renting out an apartment for enough to make it
worthwhile - people who think doing that will cover their full costs are generally disappointed! The majority of apartments in most French resorts are probably empty more often than they're full. That was certainly the case in our development. Even though the summers are great, and increasingly popular, there's a big surplus of accommodation and prices are very reasonable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy