Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turkish Backcountry Trip Report, Jan 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@defnekasrat, more info pls! Was looking at skiing Kartalkaya (3.5hrs from IST right?). How are things? Good on piste? Or good off and on piste pls? Any good bootpacks etc. Just back from Turkey Snowcats - 1.3m in 24hrs this time last week. Now that was a bit too much snow Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wiigman, personally speaking, Kartalkaya is my favorite resort in TR. But, to be honest, I am very biased as I've been going there since I was 6 and one of the hotels is owned by really good friends of ours (Kartal Otel).

I think if the conditions are right, it has the best snow quality (compared to Palandöken or Erciyes) as the snow comes over from the Black Sea and because it has many trees, it doesn't get as icy and hard. Also, as you mentioned it's 3.5 hrs from Ist, so super easy to act spontaneously.

There are two sides, the Kartal side and the Kaya side, both are privately owned and sadly, work with separate ski passes (around 25ish runs in total). The Kaya side has better facilities/lifts and the Kartal side has better pistes. Off-piste-wise wise Kartal side is much stronger as the passage into the Köroğlu lifts has a lot of space between pistes. Also, the Kartal team started to arrange off-piste tours down to the plateau, which might be fun. Kaya side has nice powder runs under the lifts and has a much faster and more comfortable lift but I find that side to be too posh (10 dollars for a bottle of water is insane). The Kartal side used to rent touring sets a couple of years back but I think they stopped due to low demand, I can ask them if you'd like.

Overall, nothing in TR compares to most of the resorts in the EU for sure but Kartalkaya, Palandöken, and Erciyes have what it takes to get rid of the itch.

Snow-wise, I'm in tracking mode. There has been a good amount of snow this year, around 1.7 now. This weekend they are getting really good fresh snow and, weirdly, next week there seems to be a warm wave coming in through the whole country. We are planning a couple of days in March, so feel free to ask anything! (from here or @defenguven)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's brilliant

Thanks

Looking at booking.com the resort accommodation is expensive.

I've been looking at Saklikent and Davraz out of Antalya for 03-10 March but every time they get snow it's followed by a warming period.

Any word on the ground of how these resorts are faring please?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
defnekasrat wrote:
@wiigman, personally speaking, Kartalkaya is my favorite resort in TR. But, to be honest, I am very biased as I've been going there since I was 6 and one of the hotels is owned by really good friends of ours (Kartal Otel).

I think if the conditions are right, it has the best snow quality (compared to Palandöken or Erciyes) as the snow comes over from the Black Sea and because it has many trees, it doesn't get as icy and hard. Also, as you mentioned it's 3.5 hrs from Ist, so super easy to act spontaneously.

There are two sides, the Kartal side and the Kaya side, both are privately owned and sadly, work with separate ski passes (around 25ish runs in total). The Kaya side has better facilities/lifts and the Kartal side has better pistes. Off-piste-wise wise Kartal side is much stronger as the passage into the Köroğlu lifts has a lot of space between pistes. Also, the Kartal team started to arrange off-piste tours down to the plateau, which might be fun. Kaya side has nice powder runs under the lifts and has a much faster and more comfortable lift but I find that side to be too posh (10 dollars for a bottle of water is insane). The Kartal side used to rent touring sets a couple of years back but I think they stopped due to low demand, I can ask them if you'd like.

Overall, nothing in TR compares to most of the resorts in the EU for sure but Kartalkaya, Palandöken, and Erciyes have what it takes to get rid of the itch.

Snow-wise, I'm in tracking mode. There has been a good amount of snow this year, around 1.7 now. This weekend they are getting really good fresh snow and, weirdly, next week there seems to be a warm wave coming in through the whole country. We are planning a couple of days in March, so feel free to ask anything! (from here or @defenguven)

Thanks so much - really excellent info and knowledge. (Have enjoyed TR v much - Palan, Sarikamis, Erciyes, Ovit, and Turkey Snowcats/Ayder done so far.)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mike Pow, oh yes, Kartalkaya is very expensive but they lower prices a bit getting into March. You can check the hotels' own websites for some deals or even email and try to bargain a bit, as this is Turkey after all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Usually, you might get discounts if you pay in a single installment or cash, etc. For Kartalkaya, I would recommend the Kartal side as both hotels (Kartal Otel and Grand Kartal) are family-owned and have a much cozier feel. A big hotel group owns the Kaya side and it just feels off in my personal opinion. Also, Grand Kartal has some alcohol included in the price which is usually a big game changer. Whenever we go we usually checkout with no extras which is refreshing tbh Very Happy We are headed to Kartal Otel around those dates, I'll let you know if there are any discounts, etc.

I think the best part about Palandöken and Erciyes is how they are close to the city center as it's very easy to find affordable accommodation. Especially, I feel like that's the most logical option for Palandöken as you need to take a cab from most ski-in ski-out hotels to get to the better Ejder3200 side anyways. Sway in Palandöken has one of the most insanely high prices I've ever heard of and has only 2 pistes Very Happy

Saklıkent and Davraz are quite south so I think they are the first ones to warm up. For March I would recommend resorts that are more up north. But I think all of the country is entering a warm and dry spell for a week. I think its best to check the forecast out next weekend.

@wiigman, Ovit, Ayder, Kaçkar are all quite amazing! We are checking out Turkey Snowcats now, they look super cool!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
defnekasrat wrote:
@Mike Pow, oh yes, Kartalkaya is very expensive but they lower prices a bit getting into March. You can check the hotels' own websites for some deals or even email and try to bargain a bit, as this is Turkey after all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Usually, you might get discounts if you pay in a single installment or cash, etc. For Kartalkaya, I would recommend the Kartal side as both hotels (Kartal Otel and Grand Kartal) are family-owned and have a much cozier feel. A big hotel group owns the Kaya side and it just feels off in my personal opinion. Also, Grand Kartal has some alcohol included in the price which is usually a big game changer. Whenever we go we usually checkout with no extras which is refreshing tbh Very Happy We are headed to Kartal Otel around those dates, I'll let you know if there are any discounts, etc.

I think the best part about Palandöken and Erciyes is how they are close to the city center as it's very easy to find affordable accommodation. Especially, I feel like that's the most logical option for Palandöken as you need to take a cab from most ski-in ski-out hotels to get to the better Ejder3200 side anyways. Sway in Palandöken has one of the most insanely high prices I've ever heard of and has only 2 pistes Very Happy

Saklıkent and Davraz are quite south so I think they are the first ones to warm up. For March I would recommend resorts that are more up north. But I think all of the country is entering a warm and dry spell for a week. I think its best to check the forecast out next weekend.

@wiigman, Ovit, Ayder, Kaçkar are all quite amazing! We are checking out Turkey Snowcats now, they look super cool!

Thanks very much.

Yes it will be a last minute decision based on snow conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wiigman, any intel on the Turkey snow cats operation? That is pretty high on my list for next season Happy Did you tack on any touring or anything or just do the week cat ski trip?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
Way too much detail.

Can you post a clear summary in less than 50 words?

Where, when, how, etc.
Ha-bloody-ha. It is a wonderfully entertaining, informative and comprehensive report, with the added bonus that, unlike you, the poster is literate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kat.ryb, just on a work deadline, then will post re Turkey Snowcats. Gosh they get some snow! I'd def look at it, as I think Turkey in the Kackars is so good/wild/exciting (been x2 weeks in total now). Yes, you can tour from the cat (we did this for a 2x half day). I'd suggest a day at Palandoken before/or after the cat if you've not been - works perfectly with ERZ airport collection/drop-off being 15mins from resorts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kat.ryb wrote:
@wiigman, any intel on the Turkey snow cats operation? That is pretty high on my list for next season Happy Did you tack on any touring or anything or just do the week cat ski trip?
You could tack on Ovit for touring, also excellent, and in same range of mtns. Where Turkey Snowcats is v much a skiers' lodge - Ovit more lux and price reflects that Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool, thanks for the info! Even more to research re Ovit. A week of cat ski and then some days touring would be the ideal trip Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy