Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharp Edges...or SHARP Edges ?!

Poster: A snowHead
I do all our own ski servicing and have done for a long time.
I've got all the kit, guides for different angles, base angle guides, various files, multiple grades of diamond files.
I also know how to do it properly.
I can set a sharp edge...at least I thought so.

There was a pretty serious race squad on the mountain today with a Super G course set

Their skis were in the rack and I had a sneaky feel of their Edges.

Wow!
A whole new world of sharpness..these are SHARP.

I need to try harder....but I wonder what I need to do differently.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would imagine you would need to make your angles more acute, but then you would be skiing around on a pair of grabby knives.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I assume they have gone for a bigger side angle, maybe 87 or 86. Much sharper but at the cost of dulling faster.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I already set at 87 and 0.5
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp wrote:
I already set at 87 and 0.5

If they were slalom racers then it could be as much as 85/0. I wouldn't want to ski that outside of a slalom course though...

Edit: Just reread and saw they were super-G, which aren't as acute, maybe they polish them up with fine grades?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rungsp, Do you still do them by hand, or do you have an electric toy? My Toko one makes a much better job than when I file by hand..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
@rungsp, Do you still do them by hand, or do you have an electric toy? My Toko one makes a much better job than when I file by hand..

Ooh, didn't know I needed that... I probably don't...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski, Ooo, an electric edgeer, shiney things! Have you got a link? Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gixxerniknik wrote:

https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/tools-waxes/edge-tuning/wintersteiger-discman-4-battery-powered-edge-sharpening-machine__116 Very Happy

Takes Makita battery if you have any of those for drill etc

Or mains supply Toko example https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/tools-waxes/edge-tuning/toko-edge-tuner-world-cup-230v-disc-side-edge-tuning-machine__1869
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski3, Blimey...that's a serious bit of kit, at quite a serious price...not something to take away for a week though. Scott will just have to carry one servicing my kit!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rungsp, as with others comparing to racers skis done by a pro tech isn't really a fair comparison Laughing Laughing

Do you have a sidewall remover? I found that helped.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gixxerniknik, they are obviously costly, but interesting in how they approach the task.

If the cupped abrasive wheel has its primary cut action travelling in toward the base (first touching the lowest part of side edge and "wiping" up toward the binding in it's grinding direction ) the all of the metal it's going to remove is supported by that above it. This SHOULD leave a very small or insignificant burr to remove. Many factory supplied edges appear to do this when new, evidenced by the grind witness marks on them.

In comparison, just going along an edge from front to rear or visa versa, has the metal nearest the snow unsupported, and rather than cut effectively it will roll that final edge (the most important one in "sharpness") over onto the base side,,without fully detaching the metal. This leaving the classic burr as we understand it.

Removal of that burr is the most important element now in the sharpness delivered to optimum geometry. If there's a tiny burr in situ, then it's going to need less work to remove it without taking much collateral material with it.
Using a file, abrasive or whatever at 45 degree to that finalmedge is what will ultimately reduce it's potential sharpness. Gummy, in effectively wrapping over both sides of that angle will ultimately produce a radius instead of a sharp angle (that's in the way I've often seen them used) utmost accuracy in burr removal pays big dividend here.

It doesn't just need one of those expensive machine though, and can be done with files, if there's particular attention payed to how they are used, the approach angle etc, to get the same outcome.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
@rungsp, as with others comparing to racers skis done by a pro tech isn't really a fair comparison Laughing Laughing

Do you have a sidewall remover? I found that helped.

The angles that racers are using may not be absolutely what's needed in recreational, but with good technique the sharpness should be something that can be matched. Anything less than perfect has either flat or radius applied to that included angle of meeting point, base & edge faces.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well yesterday I was chatting to a guy from the race club who is one of the ski prep guys.
His hints:
Don't be shy with the coarse file to fix old blunted edges.
Have a bowl of warm water (warm just for user comfort) and drop all the files and diamonds in there between passes...the debris washes off and the wet file or stones are lubricated.
Really lean on the diamond stones.
Wipe the edges down with kitchen roll in between every pass so that it is a clean edge every time that the file is in contact with.
Don't forget the Arkansas stone at the end.
Have multiple sets of angle guides set up with a file or stone to save time switching each time (I already do that).
Oh and sidewall removal is a must as well.

So I've done a couple of pairs this afternoon (horrible flat light so not skiing today) and they are certainly very sharp.
Still not as SHARP as theirs...but properly sharp.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting to get a 1st person, and practical description, from them @rungsp,

From their more acute angles it's likely they're losing more of the primary metal from use right at the tip to then have need to cut the face/planar surface back in re-establishment of the desired geometry, in comparison to less critical non race ski.

Good advice in "purging" the file/ abrasive media after passes to avoid inclusion of debris coming off the cut. This is routine by various methods in metalworking generally to clear the "tooling" surface and optimisation of the cut.

In regard to "don’t be shy with coarse cut" advice, I specifically use a much more secure hold on the file, in comparison to a file clipped to a guide, to get a full cut as a open tooth file is capable of.
latest report
Add Isopropyl alcohol to the water and it greatly improves the cutting properties. Part of my job is sharpening tools to be very sharp and this is what we do.
snow conditions
Getting a very sharp edge is the same for skis and knives. It is vital that you start course. And really work the progression to fine. Knock the burr off every time. As you progress the burr gets smaller and smaller.

Also you can use a base angle guide with a very fine diamond stone alternated with a side edge guide also with a very fine diamond stone at the end for that ultimate polished edge.
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
gixxerniknik wrote:

https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/tools-waxes/edge-tuning/wintersteiger-discman-4-battery-powered-edge-sharpening-machine__116 Very Happy

Takes Makita battery if you have any of those for drill etc

Or mains supply Toko example https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/tools-waxes/edge-tuning/toko-edge-tuner-world-cup-230v-disc-side-edge-tuning-machine__1869

I looked at the machines that were on the market and the couple I really liked the look of were north of a £1,000 so couldn't really justify that. I have plenty of Makita batteries with my work so that's a no-cost item, also have a workshop with TIG welder and various machines. I bought a new Makita copy 18v saw and it has an an all metal strong casting and great brushless motor (£40 - bargain!).

Bought some stainless steel, a couple of bearings and a CBN blade (far better for the sharpening of steel than diamond wheels). With the TIG machine and a load of hours in the garage, made a strong flat stainless steel base, mounted bearings to guide across the edge and the ski sharpen was born. Adjustable from 90 to 85 angles and micro adjustment for the removal of material. It works a treat. No need to use a side wall cutter. Once the ski is clamped down it takes about 15 seconds a side to sharpen to a factory finish.

snow report
Very nice work in adapting that @king key, and you've got the bearing guides really close to the wheel to follow edge well Very Happy

A friend has a Tormek I think with cbn abrasive for wood working tool sharpening.
ski holidays
Thanks. Smile

Your friend is doing it right. We use CBN for steel, diamond for Tungsten. The wheels look the same but would be ruined if you mix up the materials (expensive). Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy