Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux vs Passo Tonale with a 4 year old in Mid May

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Aloha everyone,

I am originally from Germany and have been to Hintertux and other ski areas in the alps during my youth but I now live on Maui/Hawaii with my family and would absolutely LOVE to get my son (and hubby) on the snow during our trip to Europe this May. He tried to ski 2 days last year at Mount Hood / Oregon and he did so well with a wedgie and a backpack harness so I want to give him the chance to try again this year.

I have just done some googling so far and it sounded like Hintertux or Passo Tonale are two areas that have good snow and are great for kids but what I am trying to figure out is, which of the two also has great options for kids in May (Mount Hood is open all year round too but the kids slope closes end of April) as well... like are the easy slopes open and easily accessible for a preschooler? what kind of lifts are there for him to use? Any other kid friendly things I need to know?

Then of course I would also love to know how the pricing compares at the two places? Italy sounds more affordable when it comes to tickets and lodging? But how easy is it to get to both with a little kid? The food in Hintertux looks pretty epic? Very Happy

I am so sorry, I feel so far removed from the alps over here and would truly appreciate any input from anyone that has tried either or both at that time of year with a little one in tow.

Mahalo (thanks so much) from over here,
Kris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KriSol, welcome to Snowheads. Mid May is after the season will have ended at most European ski resorts. Passo Tonale looks to shut 1st May and even Tignes and Val Thorens are scheduled to close 5th May. It'll probably only be the glacier resorts, such as Hintertux, and maybe some Scandinavian resorts that are open by mid May.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks so much Sugarmoma666 Smile I referred to this article here: https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/best-resorts-for-skiing-in-may/
I guess I cant trust anything on the www then? Very Happy

If anyone has any insight to Hintertux for little kids on May that would be wonderful then.

Thanks a lot, Kris
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been to Hintertux in May several times, have had fresh snow twice. Getting up to the top is easy, there are a series of gondolas, t-bars are the lifts you use once up there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't recommend Hintertux for beginners at all, there's nothing up there that's easy enough for a beginner to learn on. The real beginner slopes are down in the village at 1500m and these will be closed for sure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the best glacier to lern is Stubai. Check out if its open in May. Usually yes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a glacier up at the top of Passo Tonale which used to offer summer skiing (Tomba La Bomba used to train there). I don't know whether it still does offer summer / late season skiing though the website suggests it's open till mid-may

https://www.pontedilegnotonale.com/en/pontedilegno-tonale-what-to-see/presena-glacier/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to the Pontedilegno/Tonale website the glacier offers skiing into May but really that is going to be the very end of things and by June it’s usually tucked up in bed for the summer. They cover it up with heat reflecting sheets over the summer.

The glacier alone would be no good for beginners in my opinion, I was there last week and it’s not a slope to learn on! It is reasonably wide and steep at the top, narrowing to about 30m and gentle slope at the bottom. The gondola takes you to the top only so it’s all or nothing!

Passo Tonale IS a good resort for beginners (lots of nursery areas and very good ski schools) but only during the normal ski season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swskier wrote:
I can't recommend Hintertux for beginners at all, there's nothing up there that's easy enough for a beginner to learn on. The real beginner slopes are down in the village at 1500m and these will be closed for sure.

I agree 100% hintertux glacier is no place for beginners
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I have been to Hintertux in May several times, have had fresh snow twice. Getting up to the top is easy, there are a series of gondolas, t-bars are the lifts you use once up there

Quote:
I agree 100% hintertux glacier is no place for beginners
Spot on @Whitegoldsbrother. Getting to the top is indeed easy - but then it's steep-ish red runs only from the top station.

Stubai Glacier has a gentle beginners area served by a magic carpet lift in a tunnel, plus a slow chair that serves a nice gentle run. You'll need to check on opening dates but I've skied great snow there at the end of May.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks so very much everyone. I have checked out the Stubai Glacier and it looks like they have a lot of things going on for kids, so it indeed sounds great! Smile

If anyone has any recommendations for great places to stay (again, with a kiddo) that would be wonderful.. it looks like there is one place right at the base and many others a little further away but probably in easy reach especially in May when there probably wont be any snow on the roads and its not the busy season..

I would have never come across the Stubai Glacier (although I have actually been there once years ago) and am very grateful for this awesome suggestion Smile

Aloha,
Kristin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KriSol, if I were you, I'd stay in Innsbruck with a hire car and drive there for whatever days you may or may not ski, and then be able to explore Innsbruck and the surrounds also. It's about a 50 minute drive between the two.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the idea but a 50 minute drive each day sounds not so fun with a 4 year old Very Happy We are not really city people either so while we might do a day in Innsbruck I think we would rather be close to slopes and snow Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My recollection is there is no accommodation at Stubai?

Europe in mid May is really not a place to be skiing or learning to ski to be honest. Scandinavia might be better. Maybe Kaprun might also still be open, it has accommodation and might be better for kids.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy