Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls in La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi! Is there a mogul run in la rosiere at the moment please? Man made one rather than natural. And if so, do you know who do we contact to see about using it? Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From memory the few runs steep enough are pisted regularly. Contact the tourist office .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Canuck wrote:
mogul run ... Man made one rather than natural. .

Gen question - what's the difference between 'man made' and 'natural'
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want bumps, go to Verbier or St Anton.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
20200102-110214

Take a right immediately off the roches noires lift think its called chevreuil or something like that
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
Canuck wrote:
mogul run ... Man made one rather than natural. .

Gen question - what's the difference between 'man made' and 'natural'

Made on purpose, more orderly and usually have a jump. Used for competitions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
20200102-110214

Take a right immediately off the roches noires lift think its called chevreuil or something like that

That might satisfy them, thank you
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Canuck, I very highly doubt it. Not of any interest to anyone but comp bumps skiers* and highly dangerous to anyone else.

The only time (although not something I'm paying attention to) that I've seen one that wasn't raced on then destroyed was on the Tignes glacier for training.

* presumably actually your interest.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I comment as a former world cup mogul judge currently skiing in 3V.
You only get proper moguls evenly spaced out on competition runs which are not open to the public. The pictures above have 'bumps' on them made by people randomly turning but its rare to find some decent bumps on piste that you can ski in true fall-line fashion. Lots of 'punter-bumps' here in 3V this week which are lumps of snow with wide scraped area between. The area between the bumps gets larger and larger as more people try to avoid the bump! Best proper bumps in 3V form on Combe Rosael after fresh snow. There are also 2 competition runs of bumps off the side of Bartavelle in the Meribel valley at the moment. These were used for French Cup competitions about a week ago but have netting round to close them off. You also get skiable small bumps off the side of pistes or sometimes down the middle when most people try to ski the scraped hardpack and it throws the soft snow to the middle or sides of the piste. Combe Vallon in Meribel was like that a few days ago and I had a lovely ski searching out the soft bumps one side or the other. Most of the black runs here are being pisted every few days to keep the snow packed down for half term. Mrmogulski and I went down Bosses yesterday and there wasn't a bump in sight!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
If you want bumps, go to Verbier or St Anton.

If you really want bumps, go to North America. Most black runs over the pond are groomed only a handful of times per season. Double black runs are never groomed. Even blue trails are often groomed only on one side of the run.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@Canuck, I very highly doubt it. Not of any interest to anyone but comp bumps skiers* and highly dangerous to anyone else.

The only time (although not something I'm paying attention to) that I've seen one that wasn't raced on then destroyed was on the Tignes glacier for training.

* presumably actually your interest.

Yes, two teenagers, they're racers but have trained in moguls, maybe 10 times each? So not olympic standard, but can pick a line and get down safely. One of them doesn't have moguls at their local hill so looking to have a practice while in the area if there are any. We would have to know who to contact, but looks like there no might not be any anyways Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny Jones, In Les Arcs one or two black pistes are occaisionally bashed, but most are natur runs that are never bashed and as a consequence develop some quite big bumps. Funnily the piste named "Bosses" in Vallandry is the black piste that most frequently never has moguls. Who said the French don't do irony.

I did once see an artificial bump field in Andorra on a slope that was too gentle to form them naturally. It was fun for a couple days then skiers basically flattened them and they merged into the rest of the piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only places in France that have mogul courses are going to be those with clubs that compete. eg. Chatel, Meribel, Megeve, La Clusaz, Tignes, Les Arcs, Monts d'Olmes. Alps D'Huez have a course for the World Cup, but I don't think they keep it afterwards.
As mogulski says these courses are always surrounded by netting, as the clubs don't want you using them. The club may give you permission to use the course, if you have a License Carte Neige or are with an instructor who is a friend of the club.
When my son wants to train moguls in France he either finds the best piste in the area with skier made moguls or makes his own line off-piste somewhere.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tignes is a short drive from La Rosiere if they DO have a bumps slope
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When at Tignes many (many!) years ago, I did a multi-disciplinary course, Slalom, off-piste, moguls, steeps, and general piste skiing, one day of each over the course of a week, as I recall.

There was a barriered off man-made mogul run, looked as if they had been made with a JCB. After a morning being taught on the naturally formed ones, our instructor obviously "spoke to someone", which enabled us to through the entry gates and into the "stadium". I don't think it was open to any old Johnny / Johnetta who fancied having a go.

My God, it was terrifying.

I still watch the televised comps with awe and wonder.
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
Tignes is a short drive from La Rosiere if they DO have a bumps slope

That's one of the kids home slopes and occasionally uses the mogul run at Val Claret, but not enough, she want's more Smile
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
When at Tignes many (many!) years ago, I did a multi-disciplinary course, Slalom, off-piste, moguls, steeps, and general piste skiing, one day of each over the course of a week, as I recall.

There was a barriered off man-made mogul run, looked as if they had been made with a JCB. After a morning being taught on the naturally formed ones, our instructor obviously "spoke to someone", which enabled us to through the entry gates and into the "stadium". I don't think it was open to any old Johnny / Johnetta who fancied having a go.

My God, it was terrifying.

I still watch the televised comps with awe and wonder.

They're actually made by skiers, usually from the club, they form the moguls with a series of little slips (or some other term as I'm no expert!), takes about a whole day for the team to make them. Pretty impressive the work that goes into it!
snow conditions
Jump to half way
http://youtube.com/v/s8SVNmWTvZg
latest report
Teams will often make their own courses as you described for training, but most competition courses that remain for the whole season are made mechanically. If your daughter wants more, then can you not join one of the clubs I mentioned above? I have no idea of your circumstances of course.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
Teams will often make their own courses as you described for training, but most competition courses that remain for the whole season are made mechanically. If your daughter wants more, then can you not join one of the clubs I mentioned above? I have no idea of your circumstances of course.

She's already with one of them, but she doesn't get to do much moguls as her coaches want her to focus on racing. We have family coming from Canada meeting us in La Rosiere so I thought it might be a good opportunity. But it's ok, they'll just have to enjoy the natural stuff.
ski holidays
Most of the places I mentioned above have dedicated moguls clubs, where they don’t do any racing. My son raced until he was 12, but did as much mogul skiing as he could as well. Starting this year he is 100% focused on moguls. If she wants to try training in a competition mogul environment, but not give up on racing, then she might want to try a week in the summer in Whistler, on one of the mogul camps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy