Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about snow after icy conditions?

Poster: A snowHead
Was hoping to get some advice from someone more experienced than me....

Having read about the very icy and dangerous conditions, I'm wondering whether to buy a ski pass for next week for the family (low intermediates) or whether the conditions will be so bad we won't want to ski. T

The resort we are going to is Val Cenis. I haven't seen any updated information on the conditions, but I assume it must be very icy after this long period of hot weather, rain, etc. There is a forecast for about 8-10 cm of snow, and temperatures dropping below freezing, for the start of next week. Would that be enough to make any difference?

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@licoriceallsort1, the answer to that question is almost “how long is a piece of string”. I don’t know the resort, but the way this season has gone in Europe, it could be anything from fabulous to awful. Can you wait until you arrive before committing a ski pass?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Combined with expert piste grooming, yes it will make a difference! If it's not too late, one way to allay your fears would be to sign up for ski school - instructors will know exactly where to find the best snow to suit your abilities.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And you'll not queue so long for lifts....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you! We do have lessons booked but after reading about the icy and dangerous conditions in nearby French resorts I felt worried. I HATE skiing on ice. But reassured to hear that the piste groomers can do something even with a small amount of snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
licoriceallsort1 wrote:

The resort we are going to is Val Cenis. I haven't seen any updated information on the conditions, but I assume it must be very icy after this long period of hot weather, rain, etc. There is a forecast for about 8-10 cm of snow, and temperatures dropping below freezing, for the start of next week. Would that be enough to make any difference?

Thank you!

We will see you there!

However we have already bought our passes so don't now have a choice. I'm sure there will be skiing especially as it's forecast to snow (albeit lightly) for next 4 days and then remain sunny and cool for the rest of the week by the looks of it so hopefully won't be too bad. No lessons for me and the wife but kids who are on their 1st ski hols are booked into the absolute beginners (ourson level) kids class in Lanslevilard le Haut.

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I @licoriceallsort1, It is a while since I skied in Val Cenis but I would definitely get a lift pass. It has high runs up to 2800 and the part of the ski area over 2000 will not have suffered from the rain so is less likely to be icy. So I would aim for the high wide runs above 2100. Also follow the sun where possible but this isn't so easy in Val Cenis as it is all north facing.
The Arcelle red is on the steeper side of red and could be hard packed lower down if it hasn't snowed for a while. I would possibly avoid skiing down the traverse back from Termignon if conditions aren't that good lower down as you can easily download by lift instead.

There is snow forecast so hopefully you will have a great week.

As Val Cenis is slightly off the beaten track you will be less likely to encounter people skiing too fast for their ability which tends to be the greatest danger on the slopes in icy conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My forecast predicts lpn around 1800m, above will be awesome (got 30cm+ lined up!). Below not so much, the greens will suffer even more. There might be a chance for snowmaking at night and I'm pretty sure they'll grab it, if it appears. So, I'd stay positive. Might very well turn out as one of the best weeks this year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@licoriceallsort1, don't panic.

Forecast looks highly favourable for an improvement and as @snowymum says 2000m+ will be fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@licoriceallsort1, It has been hard and icy for most of of the last two weeks on most of the pistes in La plagne but today has been lovely.
A bit of fresh snow last night and probably warmer overnight temperatures meant the snow was a lot softer today. For the last couple of weeks we had been starting skiing around 11.30 just as the snow was softening and skied right through to the end of the day
Today we set off around 10am and both piste and off piste were in good condition.

Looks like fresh snow is forecast early next week so you should be OK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In general, the day after a rain-freeze cycle will be the worst. Then, it should improve as the groomer breaks up the ice into something resembling snow.

If there’s natural snow, great. The groomer can mix it into the icicles to make some enjoyable surface to ski on.

Man made snow comes in handy when nature doesn’t oblige. But that requires below freezing temperature.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you SO much, everyone! I feel very reassured. Thank you for your knowledge and comforting, helpful advice, massively appreciated.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@licoriceallsort1,
Decent tuition & it won't be long before you'll wonder why you were worried. Part of skiing is to learn to cope with all conditions, which is why doing a season improves the skiing/boarding of someone prepared to make the most of it - you end up faced with many different slope conditions.
And the kids will probably adapt much quicker than the adults.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very true! Thank you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's worth looking in the future at places like Wyoming, US, or northern Japan, where the snow is much softer, drier, fluffier, and creamier than in Europe.

You will be astonished at the difference in quality.
snow report
As someone currently on bens bus to Grenoble airport to return home from a week in L2A with all kinds of weird weather last week, including 16degrees one afternoon . I’d say it’s probably not going to be as bad as you think.

Ice not a massive problem here last week. The insane number of people made the runs unpleasant in the afternoon, particularly the ones back to the village. My 6 year old son quite happy skiing slushy moguls now, not so good for my old knees! It has rained pretty much all night last night so depending on freezing levels I reckon the pistes up on the mountain will be in much better condition after this weekend. Needs to be colder in the village though for sure. I’m amazed how they kept open some of the interlinking runs at the bottom. Every afternoon we saw more and more brown patches!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy