Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best boot fitter in England?

Poster: A snowHead
the problems with getting boots fitted are only going to get worse as time goes on

nobody wants to do this job, nobody wants to learn a trade (lets face it most of society doesn't want to work full stop) so as the fitters that are around start to retire who is going to take their place, the simple answer is nobody, there are a small number of fitters anyway, the number is declining i know at least 1 in europe who is done after this season and another who is looking for a career change within the industry as he is not enjoying this job any more..... i have been looking for staff for 3 years to add to the team, we lost a full time fitter this year so it has been a very long hard season, i am feeling it more than ever in my hands (and my mind) so unless all of a sudden people start wanting to be boot fitters in the next 10-15 years i can't think of too many that will still be doing the job anywhere

@CH20 how long are you going to keep it going? a while yet i expect, (he's a bit younger than me) but nobody is around forever
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CEM, aint getting any younger, suspect i'll die before i get chance to retire, patience running thin, less work below the knee, too much above the shoulders. Getting called out by non binary loonies, for identifying female lower legs is starting to grind my gears. That said wrapping legs in 1000 euro boots, 1000 times a year keeps my boy in passport stamps and ski gear......, until he's settled in his career i'll keep smiling/snarling through my gold teeth! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CH2O, aw. Bon courage!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CH2O,
Quote:

Getting called out by non binary loonies, for identifying female lower legs is starting to grind my gears.

Oh dear. I'm trying hard not to laugh.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, CHX extends 6 free days to US Icon Pass holders, and whilst I love the 'mericans on the whole, this lot, flying on Woke Airlines can fill up the holes in the glaciers as far as i'm concerned. Loving having a fist full of dollars though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
Padster wrote:

@CEM if you ever intend on retiring please give us plenty of notice I'll be along for some new boots!

well about that......... not quite yet wink

Quote:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Retirement Colin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another endorsement for Colin, my only gripe would be that many moons ago he abandoned his hometown and added about 700 miles to the round trip to visit him. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I moved to Oxfordshire to be closer to the shop. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lucky for me, its very hard to beat the boot lab at Ski Exchange at Dry Drayton near Cambridge.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn, good to hear, must have had some good training!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CH2O wrote:
@DrLawn, good to hear, must have had some good training!!!!If you want the champagne treatment, ask for Pig-Nose.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimummk made the following point: "I think people can get over-sold when it comes to ski boots, especially if they are a once a year recreational skier."

From my own point of view, life is short and skiing time far too precious to be squandered on poorly fitting ski boots. Even a once or twice a year recreational skier will spend a fortune on skiing over the course of a lifetime (my dad will be 81 on our next trip). Once you realise you are solidly addicted or obsessed, it makes no sense (to me) to skimp on what is by far the most important equipment; there is no chance of ever becoming an expert skier unless the boots fit properly. However, I appreciate that the cost of outfitting a whole family with ski gear is very expensive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Walter-Spitty wrote:
skimummk made the following point: "I think people can get over-sold when it comes to ski boots, especially if they are a once a year recreational skier."

From my own point of view, life is short and skiing time far too precious to be squandered on poorly fitting ski boots. Even a once or twice a year recreational skier will spend a fortune on skiing over the course of a lifetime (my dad will be 81 on our next trip). Once you realise you are solidly addicted or obsessed, it makes no sense (to me) to skimp on what is by far the most important equipment; there is no chance of ever becoming an expert skier unless the boots fit properly. However, I appreciate that the cost of outfitting a whole family with ski gear is very expensive.

100%, people's skiing can be hugely improved with a well fitting pair of boots. If you rotate you leg/foot and it moves, then the boot moves after you'll never be that accurate with your skiing. If your boot fits properly, the control you'll have as a result is really beneficial.

I skied on Sunday in my touring boots and they're a size too big, and the lack of control I have is ridiculous, desperately need to get some new ones!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CH2O, Who's "Pig-Nose"?
When I next go in there I'll ask tentatively... Toofy Grin

I don't want to upset them, my feet depend on them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Walter-Spitty wrote:

Yeah, even at a conservative estimate you would be spending £6 per skiing day on a custom pair of boots and by my estimate people pay anything from £80 (brown bag lunchers/rabbit hutch dwellers like me) up £300 (if you think I'm cooking on a skiing holidayers) per skiing day. And the upside can be considerable in terms of lack of hassle (trying to hire the right size boot), comfort and function.

The initial outlay does sting a bit but....
latest report
The quickest way to ruin a ski holiday is to suffer with poorly fitting ski boots, your own or rentals. I envy those people whose feet are a standard shape and the appropriate boot fits them out of the box. For my oddly shaped cloven hooves I’ve always required a good fitting service to keep discomfort to manageable levels, so for 15 years or so I’ve used CEM’s services, and before that I’ve also been to Profeet and a session with CH20. I think a recommendation for a named boot fitter is much better than chancing things with a particular store, especially a national brand where you might well end up with the ‘Saturday boy’ trying on several pairs until you get one which ‘feels good’.

There is a cost to get a good fitting service, although I think of it as an investment in comfort and performance, especially if you prefer to be on custom footbeds and in custom liners. Scrimp on other stuff by all means, clothing, ski choice, lunch on the hill, etc, but don’t go cheap on your best friends - your boots.
snow conditions
@DrLawn, you’ll b well received
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
Lucky for me, its very hard to beat the boot lab at Ski Exchange at Dry Drayton near Cambridge.

My OH and Jnr have had boots from Simon (is he pig nose? Laughing ). Both have been very happy with theirs. Simon did many running repairs on Jnr’s boots when he used to batter his racing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy