Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire (again!) am I missing any tricks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snowdave wrote:
The VPN trick is a good one, but for car hire, be careful of different terms and conditions based on point of sale. Sometimes you lose inclusive CDW or similar. With flights, the high end search tools like itamatrix will let you manually configure your point of sale, to save trying to VPN your way around the world.

If you end up booking with hertz, discount code 569608 still seems to be the best, and only requires you to hold a Mastercard.

Thanks - does it have to be a specific Mastercard or any mastercard would do?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@euanovsky, any. They’ve never even checked if I have a Mastercard. As things go (vs corporate discount rates and some more exclusive ones) it’s not a very generous discount so I guess nobody at hertz really cares.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another hire car question. Flying into Geneva and I'm hiring on the Swiss side. I seem to remember some earlier threads about the need for a Swiss motorway pass /Vignette and whether they are included or extra Can anyone help on this?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stevew, included if hiring from the Swiss side.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
@stevew, included if hiring from the Swiss side.

Thanks, another thing ticked of the list of a first hirer for a car for a ski trip.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
An update from the original post...

I arrived in Chambery yesterday (10 mins early and no queue at passport control!!!)

Went to collect my car and after a bit of sweet talking manged to get a free upgrade to a BMW 4 series M-Sport coupe! Not a bad deal Very Happy
£479 for 2 weeks!

They did charge me 70e for snow socks though...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hired a van very recently it was nearly new. I wanted to emphasize how important the add on's are that the car rental companies are offering.

I paid for the reduced excess that would have limited any collision damage / theft etc. to the amount of the deposit required to hire the vehicle.
I didn't get the windscreen/tyre repair add on, I doubted anything bad would happen. Basically not getting it is a huge risk as a new windscreen would have lost the deposit.

Nothing bad happened, and I got my deposit back, to be honest I was lucky, I could see and hear particles/elements bouncing off the bumper.

Car/van hire is risky and could be costly.

As a driver I drove a great new van for the purpose I needed it.
Total cost of 1 days hire plus fuel was similar to a return flight to France with 23kg.
(I would have booked up early for less)

Just another opinion about another risky subject.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@58ski, its a lot cheaper to buy annual excess insurance e.g. insurance4carhire
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hopefully some consider it worth it, buy it and it makes a big difference. I don't want to read about people blowing ski holiday money when vehicle hire went wrong, when they didn't buy add on's that in reality didn't cost loads.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

its a lot cheaper to buy annual excess insurance e.g. insurance4carhire

This. Then no tricky decisions needed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@58ski, its a lot cheaper to buy annual excess insurance e.g. insurance4carhire
This.

I renewed my I4CH policy last week. Annual policy for Europe cost £46 (£8 cheaper than the previous year) with £10 cashback via Quidco.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a quick note . If renting from Italy to drive across the border to France, the only company I can find that don't charge extra are moventur through the Doyouitaly site. Some charge an extra 15 euro per day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've found that when booking through AutoEurope some providers have the cross border charge and some don't. The slightly painful bit is you have to click through until you get to the T&Cs to find out. Maggiore is one of the providers that currently doesn't charge.

Also, just to echo what folks further up thread said about making a cancellable booking and then checking from time to time to see if rates drop. I booked a car for a week at Easter a couple of months ago for €370. 2 weeks ago I rebooked the same car from the same provider for €300. Then last week I rebooked the same car with the same provider again for €230. Today the price is back up to €370.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy