Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowsure, Easy Blues, Short Transfers from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

hoping your collective expertise can help me. I'm looking to do 4 days from the 25th Feb and I am looking for:

-Snowsure - had a bad experience last year with almost no snow at all that I don't want to repeat.
-Easy blues - basically after easy lift access to two or three easy blues to just spend a few days practicing technique on
-Short transfers from Geneva

Have been considering Morzine, Les Gets, Tignes and Mayrhofen.

Many thanks if anyone has any ideas.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought you said "Tignes" there Very Happy very good, but really nowhere near Geneva.

Morzine Les Gets are the obvious fit but maybe a little compromised in "snowsure" on that date....that's with current snow and weather outlook. For the pedantic, yes snow cover there, but not fully assured of quality, depth etc at that relatively low altitude in comparison to some others.

Les Gets particularly easy to use for you skill/practice demand, with fairly extensive immediate terrain that fits the bill.

Additionally, Champèry in CH from Geneva to stay on other side of PdS ski area, with direct cable car from village centre to higher altitude and good piste scope there.

Avoriaz is between these two and also offers similar, but often more busy piste.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Carroz, Flaine or Samoens.

Just back from a long weekend there. Flew into Geneva, hire car collected, drove to Les Carroz in 50 minutes. Everything open despite the warm temps in the last couple of weeks. Far more snowsure than Morzine and Les Gets. Loads of cruisey blues
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@frank_bough, could you delay to avoid the busy school holiday period when blue runs will be particularly busy? . Little reliable snowfall in prospect either.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ski3

- Tignes is about 3.5 hours I think? Doable.
- Yes, concerning on snow cover in Les Gets and Morzine for sure. If it was a bit more assured I would be there in a heartbeat.
- But yes, Les Gets would be perfect if they get a dump between now and then.
- I'll have a look at Champery, thanks.
- Been to Avoriaz several times including last year when there was no snow in Les Gets - the crowds, crappy conditions has put me off for life.

@boardinbob

- I'd not considered any of those places, I'll take a look, thanks.

@Origen

- I am delaying from the 18th from the 25th as I thought the 18th would be the busiest week based on this: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162546
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@frank_bough,

We did La Plagne for the first time last April. (Been skiing 30+ years annually). Really impressed, snowsure, blue run heaven, bit further from Geneva, but totally worth it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks @johnboy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bourg st maurice from Geneva via train is around 3 hours , then up the funicular to Les arcs , thats one of my favourite quick trips .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@frank_bough, id avoid all the French school holidays if I had the option. Given current and prospective snow cover I'd also wait till last minute before choosing a resort, especially some of the low ones you've mentioned.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@frank_bough, doubt les carroz or samoens any better than les gets right now?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samoens had full cover to Samoens 1600 at the weekend. Everything open. Les Carroz rideable to 1200, full cover up top, piste only lower down. Flaine had full cover everywhere albeit off piste was boilerplate.

Snow was lovely. Only got slushy late in the day
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The state of things today is not necessarily an infallible guide to the state of things in three weeks time after two weeks of school holiday crowds.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
frank_bough wrote:
Hi,

hoping your collective expertise can help me. I'm looking to do 4 days from the 25th Feb and I am looking for:

-Snowsure - had a bad experience last year with almost no snow at all that I don't want to repeat.
-Easy blues - basically after easy lift access to two or three easy blues to just spend a few days practicing technique on
-Short transfers from Geneva

Have been considering Morzine, Les Gets, Tignes and Mayrhofen.

Many thanks if anyone has any ideas.

Mayrhofen is not a short transfer from Geneva ….
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. La Rosière (1850m)
2. Avoriaz (1800m)
3. Flaine (1600m)
4. La Plagne (2050m)
5. Les Arcs (1800m)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Notwithstanding it being school holidays, add Les Saisies to your shortlist (surprised @Origen hasn't recommended it already wink )
snow conditions
Quote:
the state of things today is not necessarily an infallible guide to the state of things in three weeks time after two weeks of school holiday crowds.

Correct, however Les Carroz and the surrounding slopes are at a higher altitude than Les Gets and also offer direct access to Flaine which is significantly higher than Les Gets and higher than even Avoriaz. In addition, it gets nowhere near the volume that the PdS gets at holiday time.
latest report
Yes, Les Saisies would certainly fit the bill. It's the same height as Flaine and often has better snow (over the years in poor snow times I've met some independent ski instructors from Flaine who have brought clients over). But it's further from Geneva and at this point, even if it wasn't, I would reserve my judgement on where to go from Geneva.

Les Saisies might be less crowded than some places, but personally I would never ski in France in school holidays if I had any choice. And accommodation will be FAR more expensive. Why stay in expensive accommodation and ski on crowded pistes if you have the choice?

It does have the advantage of having fewer thoughtless and out-of-control skiers than places like the GM or PdS. rolling eyes Generally a very civilised and family-friendly atmosphere.
ski holidays
That's at the end of the Paris school holidays so crowds will be a bit less. I would wait if possible to see if any, you know, actual snow falls. But I would definitely consider Grand Massif/Flaine as No. 1 due to height and short transfer by train/bus etc. (train to Cluses, taxi to Les Carroz could be cheapest). If plenty of snow, Les Gets/Morzine also fine. Those are the two closest stations (barring Chamonix, but not too many easy blues).

Other places with easy blues in an hour or so are Espace Diamant (Les Saisies), Megeve/St. Gervais/Les Contamines. In short, all the usual suspects.

Honestly think Grand Massif is your best if lack of snow continues. You might want to research accommodations to avoid the full-week issue.
ski holidays
I'd overlooked the full-week issue. That'll be a big deal in French school hols. Maybe head into Switzerland?
snow report
Quote:

I thought you said "Tignes" there Very Happy very good, but really nowhere near Geneva.

But closer than Mayrhofen which is at least a 7 hour drive away bypassing many, perhaps more suitable, resorts.

Zermatt or Crans Montana may fit the criteria.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy