Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Etiquette when leaving a chairlift.

Poster: A snowHead
This was prompted by something in the Telegraph article linked in the 'I'm never going skiing again...' thread. The one valid point the author had in my view was about her friend getting her leg mangled leaving the lift.

Some years ago one of my children was having a lesson and the instructor explained that his personal unbreakable skiing rule was to get as far away from the lift as quickly as possible. He stated that the number one cause of devastating knee injuries was slow speed accidents leaving the lift, because bindings do not release under such circumstances. I've no idea if his claim was accurate, but it intuitively made sense, and since then, regardless of where I actually want to go when I leave the lift, I take the safest path away first, then stop and afterwards set off in the direction that I actually want go.

However this doesn't stop other people being dicks, and last week a guy in the far right seat who wanted to go left simply cut across everyone else, directly knocking over my little boy and causing another lady to swerve to avoid him. Her skis became entangled with another skier's and they both fell. Luckily no harm was done. Unfortunately one does see variations on this behaviour regularly.

Equally as bad last week was the management of skiers by the lifties. I'm not joking at all when I say the *only* lift where the attendant was moving people away from the exit was the gondola up into the resort where everyone was on foot!!!! Nuts. At almost every chair lift there were people standing right in front of the exit, snowboarders doing their bindings and even people who'd taken off their skis and were having a little sit down, whilst the lifties did nothing.

So, that was an incredibly long-winded way to ask: Is there a proper rule with regard to leaving lifts? Googling 'skiers code' and reading the first few results reveals it's not even mentioned.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, keep going straight (or depending on the exit, at least following the angle of any turn like you would going around a roundabout driving) until I'm well clear of anyone else before stopping/turning to wherever I want to go.

My personal gripe is people who decide that they need to use their poles to give them a boost off a lift. I've had poles between my legs, too close to my bindings/brakes, poles used to push between the skiers legs etc... It's just unecessary and a recipe for something to either take them out, take me out or anyone else on the lift. Just use momentum of the lift and usually a little bit of gravity from the slope coming off.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not aware of proper rules, however the etiquette I've always gone by (and assume others do too) is:
- stand up and ski straight until you're able to turn or stop without affecting others
- give kids, snowboarders and beginners as much space as you can
- keep your poles away from other people
- if you're on the outside seat, peel away as soon as you can to give everyone space.

To this end I try to make it even easier for everyone by getting my pole tips in just behind my heel as I stand up, then push myself forward as quickly as I can. Then I'm out of the way and have left some space for manoeuvre.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am a boarder (regular - left foot first) and even though I have been at it for 25 years I still try and occupy the rightmost seat ...

Why?

I can always veer right at the top (away from everyone else) or at least maintain a straight line and head as far away from the lift as possible before bending down to strap.

The key to exiting a chairlift exit zone is to have a clear idea of what your path is and, most importantly, to look ahead (not down).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never had a problem with people hanging out in the landing zone... presumably they get crashed into and work out it's not a great idea quite quickly?

As a snowboarder, if I'm in the middle I'll go straight forward. You may need to push off the chair in some cases. If I'm on the edge I may peel in that direction if it's where I want to go. Skier poles and skiers falling are the main hazards. I'm quicker than skiers at most stuff, so I'll usually be in front of them, which prevents jostling should they fall or turn inappropriately.

European lifts can be more sporting than north American ones.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Being on a snowboard I position myself either side of the lift never in the middle and try to push off to the right/left as soon as I can. Easy for skiers to stand and cruise off gracefully it's more of a faff on a snowboard and do my best not to cause any issues for other users.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to make a plan close to arrival - either to get off quickly - always going straight to a safe point or staying on longer and letting other clear. I have frequently planted a pole to prevent a snowplower catching the rear of my ski (its safer for both of parties)- I short I'm looking for a safe exit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And don’t even get me started on inconsiderate boneheaded morons who try to slam the bar down having just mounted the chair at the bottom without a nanosecond of consideration if others heads are clear and comfortable. There really is no great rush to bring the bar down but like dismounting there are plenty of people who seemingly lack common sense, good manners or etiquette.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure about the "number one cause" claim, but it's certainly true that low speed accidents can be very damaging and that lift get-offs are often the site of problems.

I don't see the need for any special rule, TBH, as it would be covered by FIS rule no.1
"Respect for others
A skier or snowboarder must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others."

@franga, Novice boarders who don't follow your advice, and even some who do, can indeed be problematic, so it's a wise skier who tries to avoid sitting next to them, particularly if they've occupied a middle seat. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If its a child next to me I usually make an effort to get of quickly with a push and get out of the way as I pick up speed quickly due to me weight and dint want to be landing on them of there is a tangle. If it is a shorter adult I will often go for a last minute dismount as im tall and it is more comfortable for me to get off lower down the ramp. I tend to sus out boarders in the que and avoid getting on next to any that look inexperienced.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always try to sit on the side of the lift I know i'll be going at the top. It helps that I know the lifts and pistes so know which side I need to be on. If i'm in the middle or on the wrong side, i'll just go straight until we've all cleared the lift area and then can manoeuvre around some more.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@greengriff, your point is pertinent, our trip last week was messed up by my wife falling at the top of a chairlift due to a teenager from the chair in front sprawling across the fall line. As you say at low speed it is hard to manoevre and the skis don't come off; I was just able to turn hard enough to get round but my wife ended up in a tangled mess with a bad bruise and a pulled muscle.

In this case the conversation between the teenager and her parents seemed to suggest she was in a strop for whatever reason, and was making a point by lying on the ground complaining to them. Plus it seemed the lift attendant had been reluctant to stop the lift because it meant coming out of his cosy hut.

As @Thomasski says, the right thing is to ski off straight and then manoevre when you have full control and can see what others are doing. I suppose I was told that in an early lesson, but I have never seen reminders posted anywhere.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is an interesting one. In my early days I always struggled with getting off lifts. The 'ramp' away from the lift always seemed to be too far away and the unload area too flat to gain any momentum. Always seemed to end up with the front of the chair pushing me along by the back of my legs. Then, of course, the chair started to swing round just as I reach the ramp and many times I got clipped by the turning chair and wiped out!

These days I put one hand against the seat back and give myself a firm shove when getting up which usually gets me away from the chair safely if the unload area is a bit flat. I'll also position myself in the queue so I get an end seat so that I can peel off to one side as quickly as possible.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thomasski wrote:
Not aware of proper rules, however the etiquette I've always gone by (and assume others do too) is:
- stand up and ski straight until you're able to turn or stop without affecting others
- give kids, snowboarders and beginners as much space as you can
- keep your poles away from other people
- if you're on the outside seat, peel away as soon as you can to give everyone space.

This. Plus I stay seated for a second or two sometimes to let others (people who are all arms and legs and poles) get away first.

I know 2 people who have had very serious knee injuries in lift entanglements. neither will ever be the same again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If its a child next to me I usually make an effort to get of quickly with a push and get out of the way

Conversely if I have a small child plonked next to me, I will make sure I guide them on their way first before leaving, usually into the waiting Lift Attendant

As others have said, pet hate is people making an abrupt turn across everyone or stopping in the run off for everyone to hit
latest report
I often find it helpful to give beginners a friendly firm shove on arrival to aid their disembarkation.

Joking!
snow report
jonathancarty wrote:
I often find it helpful to give beginners a friendly firm shove on arrival to aid their disembarkation.

Joking!

I often disembark last and will give a gentle "hand on the back" guide to beginners / kids / snowboarders to get them clear of my skis. In a ideal word, that 4 / 6 / 8 abreast will quickly fan out into a thinner line.
- not joking BTW!

if waiting for "the group" to assemble, this can be done 20-30 meters away from the lift. People stopping in front of the "don't stop here" sign is my pet hate Very Happy
ski holidays
My own chairlift 'rules'

1 - Avoid getting on with a snowboarder unless absolutely necessary / ensure they are positioned at either end
2 - Avoid sitting next to somebody else's kids (if you do by default you are honour bound to take responsibility for them)
3 - Keep your poles tucked under your *rse ski instructor style and out of the way so you have two hands free at all times to smoke/vape/pick your nose/punch the guilty party of item 5
4 - Keep your skis away from the adjacent passengers skis (hate it when someone assumes its their right to scratch my well looked after top sheet(s) with their pikee rentals
5 - Don't pull the bar down until you've checked everyone is settled and comfy (I hate peeps that do this 'early' and have had my head clonked literally seconds after being seated) This is an act of war IMHO
6 - If item 5 does occur; pull the bar up early to annoy the guilty party of item 5 - works especially well with a 50ft drop below (don't do this if there are kids on board)
7 - Don't pull the bar up at the very last minute unless its automated; its usually an item 5 type that does this and it can create probs for a nervous beginner
8 - Plan your exit in advance and stick with it if poss - communicate to others prior to exit which side you are exiting on - if in France then use pigeon French / hand signals just to be sure or failing that shout in a very loud John Cleese type voice
9 - Be selfish and try to be the first off / clear of others especially if item 1 applies and use your free hand to push off quickly; this applies especially if in the middle seat
10 - Be unselfish and delay your exit if item 2 (kids) applies
11 - If all else fails strike up a conversation with your adjacent passenger and be courteous and generally charmingly British; this way they are potentially less likely to crash into you (or maybe not!)
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Quote:

If its a child next to me I usually make an effort to get of quickly with a push and get out of the way

Conversely if I have a small child plonked next to me, I will make sure I guide them on their way first before leaving, usually into the waiting Lift Attendant

As others have said, pet hate is people making an abrupt turn across everyone or stopping in the run off for everyone to hit

Yeah yeah I had one yesterday, they load them on the lift attendant side and I had to get her feet off the bar but i pushed off Infront because they are so light they dont get any momentum and could do something unpredictable, im 105kg im not up for crushing a kid.
latest report
Belch wrote:
pikee rentals

I have no idea whether the house rules here permit or prohibit racial slurs, but I guess if you want to out yourself as not merely a racist but the kind of racist who's happy for everyone else to know that he's a racist then that's your call.
ski holidays
another rule - no ski school kids next to me - ever
latest report
@JayRo, OMG - its a phrase to add colour to a sentence and should not be taken literally; how you've manufactured that the term is racist (and when applied to the condition of someones skis) AND that I'm a racist is also beyond me. . . . pls go and troll somewhere / somebody else; either that or contribute to the thread without making everyone else aware of how nauseously pedantic you are . .
snow conditions
At the other end of the ride, ie on loading, I hate people who hold their poles behind them and then, as they push through the loading gate, they let them flip up to eye level of the people behind.

BTW: what in hell is a “pikee” ?
ski holidays
Poor loading and unloading issues and the need for more staff to manage that is one of the reasons why resorts tend to prefer Gondolas these days.
I can see that the slow speed twisting fall is potentially dangerous. One way to prevent that is by avoiding doing a snowplough when leaving the chair. That risks the neighbouring skiers standing on the back of the snowplough often leading to a fall.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
At the other end of the ride, ie on loading, I hate people who hold their poles behind them and then, as they push through the loading gate, they let them flip up to eye level of the people behind.

BTW: what in hell is a “pikee” ?

Pikee is a derogatory term for a traveller/gypsy in the uk.

Good point about poles. Shouldn't they be held together in one hand with grips just above shoulder in the hand not being used to push off? Thats what I tend to do and see lots of others doing, willing to be corrected though as im not claiming to be the arbiter of truth regarding all things skiing and holiday related like some on here.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
what in hell is a “pikee” ?

When applied to people, it's a slur referring to travellers (Irish or Roma)

When applied to things, it's referring to questionable quality or provenance.
snow report
Bar up in reasonable time, tips up (which would show if your bindings/brakes were tangled), poles in one hand, other hand on the chair to push off swiftly and go straight ahead as far as possible, into space, and only turn when there is space. I may peel off earlier if I am on the far left or right.

I always like to shout at the ar53h0les who stop in the run off.

The run off is indeed a place where a lot of accidents occur. My wife bust her acl exactly in that situation.

On pulling the bar down too early/without consideration, it is no joke. My FIL was skiing in Flaine one year where a small boy was effectively strangled to death by the oblivious idiots sitting next to him on the chair. My understanding is that the boy was sent up on his own as part of a lesson (as is normal) and the people who were on the chair next to him just pulled the bar down without giving him a second though. He was leaning over when they brought the bar down which rested on his neck for the entire lift. People on the slopes could see when was happening and tried shouting up but it didn’t have any effect.
snow conditions
It's 2024. Everything is offensive. Apparently.

Waiting until the last second to lift the bar creates havoc. Key is to simply talk on the lift (or use hand signals). I ask if OK to lift the bar. I tell others which way I am are going.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thomasski wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

"Pikee" is a non-existent word in the English language used by illiterate people that actually mean, "Pikey".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey
snow report
Being an old prop, I have over the years developed my tried and tested method.

Aim to be first off then you can get away from any potential carnage, whether you've caused it or not.
Aim in a straight line for several metres to clear the landing zone, and if fools are in the way use shoulder to clear path.
If people are congregating in landing zone and you don't need to use shoulder, mutter loudly and drag poles over their equipment.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
And don’t even get me started on inconsiderate boneheaded morons who try to slam the bar down having just mounted the chair at the bottom without a nanosecond of consideration if others heads are clear and comfortable. There really is no great rush to bring the bar down but like dismounting there are plenty of people who seemingly lack common sense, good manners or etiquette.

I'm tall and have had some huge whacks on the head from ***** doing that. Literally thank god for my helmet.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
another rule - no ski school kids next to me - ever

I don't understand why, I'm always more than happy to take some ski school kids on the lift and help out the instructor.
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Thomasski wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

"Pikee" is a non-existent word in the English language used by illiterate people that actually mean, "Pikey".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey

I assumed it was an intentional misspelling to circumnavigate the SH expletive filter... Bit harsh.
latest report
I'm curious as to what people consider to be 'the last second' to raise the bar. My own preference is to leave it down until passing the sign to raise it (which is usually in the same place as the start of the safety netting under the chair): that invariably leaves plenty of time, even if it looks like a short distance before the end (often deceptively so, especially in the case of detachable chairs). Lots of people seem to want to raise it well before that, which in my experience runs the risk of being stopped on a chair, swinging back and forward, with the bar up and no netting below.
snow report
This is where a swift click of the poles comes into its own. Out of the way everyone, I'm important Smile
snow conditions
JayRo wrote:
I'm curious as to what people consider to be 'the last second' to raise the bar. My own preference is to leave it down until passing the sign to raise it (which is usually in the same place as the start of the safety netting under the chair): that invariably leaves plenty of time, even if it looks like a short distance before the end (often deceptively so, especially in the case of detachable chairs). Lots of people seem to want to raise it well before that, which in my experience runs the risk of being stopped on a chair, swinging back and forward, with the bar up and no netting below.

Can't stand the demented early bar raisers panicking, usually old folk in my experience. As you say, there is a sign, raise it then.
ski holidays
@jonathancarty, depending on circumstances I do this - no joke!
ski holidays
@Snow&skifan, indeed, there is nothing a pole click doesn’t improve.
snow report
I get really annoyed by the people who stand right at the barrier just at the lift and let it open and close without moving. More so if there is a big queue behind.

Grrrrr!
snow report
ste_B wrote:
I get really annoyed by the people who stand right at the barrier just at the lift and let it open and close without moving. More so if there is a big queue behind.

I sometimes fantasize about a system in which anyone who leaves a gap like that (possibly with exceptions e.g. for one person accompanying a small child) is removed from the queue and sent to the back, with brief (30-minute?) suspensions of lift passes for second offences, doubling on subsequent offences.

Failing that, functioning singles queues for people who don't care about riding the chair with their mates every single time would be a welcome addition to French (European?) lifts
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy