Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Weeks in Grenoble

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Snowheads fan from Florida here. 60yo male solo trip to Grenoble for 3 weeks starting Feb 19. I have a work-from-home job, will be working half the time and skiing half the time. Have an AirBNB for all 3 weeks between the Grenoble train station and the old town center. Have spent some time in Grenoble before, this is my fourth trip, spent 3 weeks there last year as well. I like the town, plenty to do and see, and it works well as a base. I use the Transaltitude Skiligne deals with a low cost bus plus ski pass. Can ski the 4 local mountains plus ADH and L2A. Of course, there is a huge plus for staying next to the lifts, but that comes with a cost. Especially if only skiing alternate days. I don't like being out late at night partying, so not missing that aspect of a ski town, I can still catch a couple hours of apres before the bus back to Grenoble.

It is amazing to me how inexpensive this sort of trip can be. $650 roundtrip flight to Paris. 50€ TGV to Grenoble. 500€/week apartment. Buy my own groceries. 53€ for the bus plus lift pass to ADH/L2A and 40€ to the locals - Chamrousse, L7L, etcetera.

Have you every done anything like this before? A longer term ski trip, but staying in a less expensive town. Thoughts?

I have never been to 3 Vallees before and want to visit and sample it as part of this trip. Am considering staying in a hotel for a few nights Moutiers and a ski a day each at VT, Courchevel and Les Arcs (Meribel does not have enough intermediate runs for me). All seem easy to reach from Moutiers by bus or train/funicular. What do you think of that idea to sample 3V? Or should I pick one and just stay there? Thanks for your ideas. Hoping for great snow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pfreet, It doesn't sound a terrible idea, but it does take some time to get to the resorts from Moutiers. For example for Les Arcs you'll need to get a train at about 7:45, a 45 min train journey, about 15 minutes walk to the funicular then about another 15 minutes to get to the top of the funicular. You will then make the first lift of the day. I guess it will be about the same to the other resorts.

When I did stay near Grenoble we stayed in a hotel in Crolles for a weekend and skied at Les Sepet Laux and Chamrousse.

ps Les Arcs is not in the 3V
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pfreet, You have picked the expensive time of the winter for your trip, I'm only paying 400€/week right now for an apartment in a resort and I would expect Sept Laux, Chamrousse and Villard de Lans to have studios at similar prices, the same apartments will be double the price from this weekend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, which resort may I ask?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pfreet, I did a shorter but similar trip in January 2022, based in Vizille (just to the southeast of Grenoble). We had 9 days skiing, including ADH, Chamrousse, L7L but also various other areas. Several do weekend or weekday discounts, so some great deals are available if you're careful about the order you visit places.

We hired a car but public transport should be fine from Grenoble too. Trip report is here in case you fancy reading up on the individual resorts or seeing some pics: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158109
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, I certainly had already read your trip report. Maybe the best I've ever seen here. Great write up!

In 2025, I might do one week at 3 different resorts, if I can find a reasonable price for an apartment just me. Unfortunately my wife doesn't ski, but supports my hobby.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy