Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Snow 13-20 April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone got any experience of very late seasons ski trip in the three valleys? I know VT is the highest so is likely to be the best for late season conditions, but having stayed a few times I'm quite keen to try a different resort. We've done Tignes/Val'D very recently so looking more towards the three valleys.

Any tips on best places to stay in Meribel that late in the season? Also any experiences of the snow at this time of year would be great! We're thinking of doing a short 3 day skiing trip during the last week and will have a 3 valleys pass so can get to the higher parts of the ski area. I've previously done Tignes during the same week and found the conditions to be fairly ok apart from the very bottom. Is this similar to Meribel?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In most years, Meribel and/or Mottaret will be very soft in April, as will Les Menuires. The Mottaret thoroughfare is the major issue for most people. Tignes is 2,100m at resort level, Meribel 1,450m so no, they're not similar. If you don't want to stay in VT, then Courchevel is a better bet for snow quality but there's no question VT is the optimum place to be in late April. If you stay in Meribel, you can access Courchevel very quickly on the Saulire Express and avoid Mottaret in both directions by going to VT via the top of LM off Granges and coming back via the St Martin Express. That side of Meribel holds its snow quality better too.

I like Meribel but if it's only 3 days and you want maximum skiing, minimum commuting, I would stay in Reberty/Bruyeres (above Les Menuires) for quick access to VT and La Masse late season rather than Meribel/Mottaret, if VT's not an option. If you're determined to do the Meribel experience, then the Doron hotel right in the centre is a good location.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Je suis un Skieur is bang on. I've skied Meribel a lot in April and it gets pretty sticky coming into resort quite early in the day. Mont Vallon is usually alright and you can get nice spring conditions elsewhere in the area. You want to start with the east facing stuff and work your way round but it wouldn't be my first pick. Courchevel, being more north facing, holds the snow better at equivalent altitudes and VT is just a bunch higher.

My preference is for Courchevel. It's a bit of a risk but VT gets super busy as the snow is generally better. I think people often stay in Meribel and head over as they think the conditions will be better. Courchevel is often quieter and the skiing is frequently still very good.

Also many of the popular apres spots may be closed later in the season. Unsure when the Rond Point shuts but I've had "sorry, we're done for the year" by that point in April.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+2 for Courchevel, we stayed in La Tania for many years, sometimes end of April before kids were in school for bargain weeks and always enjoyed the snow, hardly ever ventured into Meribel!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skihead31, I would want to know the links to the other valley would be open. They are not always that time of year. I just looked on the 3v website and could not work it out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been in Meribel for season closing. At that point, the links have been open but they have begun to shut some lifts/runs both in the Meribel valley and in Courchevel. 20 April is late season as the resort closes on 21 April - same for Courchevel. VT runs until 5 May.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Je suis un Skieur, i'm intrigued by your avoidance of Mottaret. Do you come down from Courchevel on Mauduit run and then Up Tougnete 1 & 2 ?

Do you prefer avoiding Mottaret for any reason ? (busy/traffic?)

Then B De la Becca and B De La Sunny to Bruyere 2 and into VT ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@UtahGetMeTwo, no, I very rarely ski Mauduit. Especially late season, it's often grass. You can't do B de la Becca in that direction off Granges, it would be uphill.

I'm based in La Tania so I go to Legends via the B de la Loze and then up T2 & Granges. I like Allemands as a run so usually go via that and then either M de la Chambre or down to Bruyeres. I do sometimes do a circuit off Becca and then Cote Brune or the B de la Sunny to Bruyeres 2. It's not the quickest way to VT, that would be straight through to Plattieres off Legends (or T1) and Cote Brune. You can also go straight to Cote Brune off Granges but I think Allemands is more fun than Alouette.

I've got no real issue with Mottaret going to VT and if I'm at the top of C1850 I will happily ski Aigle down, usually via Niverolle or Grande Rosiere. Always worth checking the app to see if Grande Rosiere has been pisted as it's frequently deserted. But lots of people hate Aigle so when I used to ski host I got used to going via Meribel and Granges as it's easier.

Coming back is always late in the day so guaranteed Mottaret slush. The quickest way is Pas du lac and off at the mid station for La Tania so if I'm against the clock that's the way I'll go, usually via Roc 2 and Mouflon rather than Lac de la Chambre. Teppes - Julie/Fouine can be good down to PdL too.

If I've got a bit more time I go down to St Martin Express or Teppes and back via west Meribel. I like both Face and Roc de Fer so if I can squeeze in a couple of circuits off Olympic before dropping down through the trees, it's a nicer way to end the day. Coming through Mottaret via Lac de la Chambre, Sitelle and Martre always feels like commuting to me rather than skiing - just something that has to be endured to get home rather than enjoyed - so I like to break it up if possible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gämsbock wrote:
@skihead31, I would want to know the links to the other valley would be open. They are not always that time of year. I just looked on the 3v website and could not work it out.

There is always at least one link open between valleys until the last minute of the last day. In late season, they reduce the number of links but never close everything. So in Courchevel they may close Marmottes but leave Suisses and Vizelle open, in LM they'll close Mont de la Chambre but leave Bruyeres open etc. Obviously, links may close temporarily for high winds or avalanche risk but that's no different to any other time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gorilla wrote:
I've been in Meribel for season closing. At that point, the links have been open but they have begun to shut some lifts/runs both in the Meribel valley and in Courchevel. 20 April is late season as the resort closes on 21 April - same for Courchevel. VT runs until 5 May.

One thing I'd forgotten, Meribel (not Mottaret) and Les Menuires both close on Friday 19th this year rather than staying open for the weekend. Never seen that before but worth bearing in mind. On that basis, I'd retract my earlier recommendation to stay in Reberty because the restaurants round there always seem to shut a week before the official end of the season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the responses, I think we're fairly set on Meribel, we've looked at Courchevel but are struggling to find an affordable place to stay otherwise we'd probably head there.

From most responses, it looks like we'd probably be ok that week, it may just involve heading out early to get out the valley to find the slightly better snow. As long as we can defo get somewhere in the 3V from Meribel that has better snow we'd be happy staying there and just heading out of Meribel to ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skihead31, if you're on the first Saulire Express lift out of Meribel, you get to the top of C1850 quicker than anyone in Courchevel can for first tracks! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy