Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cramp in lower leg with new boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In December, I was fitted for some freeride boots, and ended up with the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 115 (women's), the non-BOA version. The shells were moulded above the centre of the foot to relieve the pressure here and stop my feet going numb, but the liners were not heat-fitted. I have fairly high arch but already had custom moulded footbeds from my old boots, so these were reused.

Six-ish weeks on, the fit seems good – my foot does not move inside the boot, and I have no pressure points that cause pain. However, I do suffer from cramp in my lower legs and have to open all the buckles at the bottom of every run, but have not yet found the exact cause and am looking for some ideas of what that may be. Maybe “cramp” is not the right term, but more of a dull ache that makes my legs feel very tired quite quickly, specifically in the lower leg.

Because these new boots have a GripWalk sole, I don't currently have any narrower/piste skis that they are compatible with, only 93mm or 107mm. Current conditions being what they are, today was not a day for wide skis, so I picked up my narrowest pair (84mm AM) and my old Salomon X-Pro 90W boots (circa 2015), sans custom footbeds. The liners have packed out (and I believe they may be a wider last too?), so they are as comfy as a well-used sofa, albeit slightly heavier. Not exactly a precision fit anymore, but I had no aches which makes me think that is being caused by the new boots rather than purely a problem with the user.

There do seem to be a few differences from the old boots to the new ones that may be having an effect:
• Stiffer
• More forward lean
• Top buckles are much tighter

The third point is most noticeable to me. I don't have skinny legs and my calf muscles are reasonably large, so the top clip won't actually meet its hook unless I apply pressure to get it a bit closer. I can only use the first hook on the top buckle, the second on the lower one. The twisting adjuster is almost at its maximum, and maybe has 1-2mm to go. When I unclip and push the buckles to the side to relieve the aches, I have to tuck them under the plastic away from the hooks, because if they get caught on a tighter hook I may not be able to undo them again, especially if my fingers are cold!

Is it likely that the boots are too tight around the leg and causing this problem? Can the buckles be moved to make them looser? I see that there are holes towards the outside of the buckles that would make them tighter, but I don't know what kind of matchstick-limbed skiers those were put in for! If I do move the buckles, is that going to negatively affect the fit?

I am also aware that there may be another cause – I've had ankle injuries on both legs, so flexibility is not particularly good here. It may also be that the boots are still very new. I can get back to the fitter if I need to – they're about an hour away – but I would rather see if I can solve the problem myself, or at least work out what the precise cause is. I don't seem to be able to replicate the problem at home, only on the slopes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Women's boots seem to be designed for dainty Euro-lady ankles.

Could it also be a fitness issue?

I'm surprised you were sold boots that don't actually fit. Is it possible to move the clips to give you a bit more room around the calfs?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know that it sounds obvious but there also any holes to make the buckles looser, I’ve just had to move mine since I had to want on the power strap in order to get the top two buckles to reach the racks especially if the boots are cold, the hole was only obvious when you took the fittings off. These were in Fischers, but I guess the principle is similar across manufacturers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, There is clearly a much lower circumference around the top of the boot compared to the Salomon – I was surprised to see that I could easily tighten those onto the 4th or 5th hook. Probably some kind of weight-saving effort by reducing the plastic. Gotta say it does work as they are noticeably lighter. This may or may not be an advantage Confused

Fitness issue – maybe, how? I skied as much today as I have on other recent excursions, but with no achey legs at the end of it. The only difference really was the boots (and skis, but I regularly switch my skis around with no ill effects).

I'm not sure if I can move the clips, hence the question. One of the boot fitters will know. I can see that they can be moved outwards (making the fit tighter), but inwards is unclear.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fitness issue – maybe, how?

• Stiffer
• More forward lean

Possibly a combination of lack of flexion and a lack of blood flow via the tight calf buckle area

The fact you had to release after a run allowing bloodflow to relieve footpain may point to a restriction but a lack of flexion in the ankle and lower leg chain can also give exactly the same pain .

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 4-02-24 19:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Switch to rear-entry boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd be looking at whether it is possible to reduce the tension on the upper buckles, followed by improving ankle flexibility. I don't understand why the whole thing wasn't moulded as that is how Atomics are designed to be used, nor do I really understand why you wouldn't have a new footbed. I replace my boots every 5 years or so and consider my feet will have changed so much in that time that the old footbeds are unusable.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris_n wrote:
I replace my boots every 5 years or so and consider my feet will have changed so much in that time that the old footbeds are unusable.

Really? I haven't been pregnant or gained or lost a significant amount of weight over the period, so I'm not aware that my feet will have changed that much. I still wear the same size shoes, and both pairs of boots are the same mondo size, but if it's likely to make a difference I can go back and get a new pair made up. The fitter was of an “if it ain't broke...” mindset, and I wasn't going to insist on spending more money if it wasn't necessary.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm no boot fitter, but your calf muscle has to work to ski. If it works it needs space to move, and if the top boot clip is too tight to allow this then you are going to get pain (possibly referred pain). The boot clips should allow your calf muscle to work/flex/expand/pump blood, whatever is the correct term, while keeping your heel still. If you have to apply force to engage the top clip when you put the boots on (when your calf muscle hasn't started to work yet) maybe this is the cause of the problem? Can you get hold of a clip extender hook thingy? I've used them at a snowdome where they use men's boots as the standard rental boots. Its an 8 shaped bit of metal. Boots aren't cheap - back to the boot fitter?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, as always some good and not so good advice from the armchair experts

my first thought based on the description of what is going on is potentially the forward lean, on the salomons it is around 13 degrees, the atomic out of the box is 15degrees.... simple thing to try , back of the boot, there are two screws holding the walk mech in place, loosen these (3mm allen key) and the walk mech should be able to move up or down a little on the serrated mounting point you want to shift it up as far as you can and then tighten those screws up making sure they are really snug... this will move the cuff back to 13 degrees, if that works fantastic, if not then i suspect you just need a little more volume around the calf, moving the cuff buckle ladders out will achieve this, but it might also just be the shaping of the liner on the junction between the two calf muscles that is getting compressed and need a little heat to reshape it

but two simple things, the tooth plates and the walk mech should be a good start towards getting the stance closer to the salomon
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM, Excellent, thank you. I'll dig out some allen keys...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy