Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute trip - where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all, been lurking for a few weeks after our first ski trip in Jan. We've got the bug and are looking to go away anytime from next Wednesday for a week (yes I know it's over half term)

Here's our criteria (might be a lot to ask but let's see!):

1, flights from Bristol - so maybe Geneva area
2, ideally 2 ish hours trf
3, somewhere that works for 2nd time skiers - 2 adults and one 7 year old
4, somewhere with something to occupy mother in law and 2 year old while we ski
5, a good ski school that we can take private lessons (7 YO didn't enjoy ski school)

I've been looking at Grand Massif a lot.

Any insights or advice very welcome!

TIA
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, with the current weather and snow conditions across the alps. I’d try to either leave it late as possible (difficult if you certain criteria you need to meet) or go as high a possible.

I’m currently away so haven’t seen the snow conditions or forecast for the grand massif. But I do know it isn’t particularly high. Flaine does seem to capture a lot of snow though.
You could try Switerzland with either Zermatt or Verbier (more one of the other villages than Verbier itself) but obviously the price will go up with them!

Personally, I’d drive a little further (if you’re going for a week, the extra on the transfer is worth it I think) and head to either La Plagne or Les Arcs (one of the higher up villages), Tignes, Les Menuires or Val Thorens.
You could do Avoriaz but much of the PdS is low.

If you can get to Austria then Obergurgl could be a good bet as well!

That all goes out the window if the forecast is showing cooling down and snow in the next 2 weeks or so. Then take your pick of anywhere really!
As I said, currently away so all that advice may be completely out of date! I’m in Finland and we have loads of the white stuff!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Butch, what sort of accommodation are you thinking of (SC apartment / B&B / HB hotel / other)? How do you plan to get from the airport to resort? What sort of activities would the MiL like? For e.g. would somewhere with nice walking and the ability to get to meet the skiers for lunch suit?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's going to be superbusy 10-17th Feb across the Alps with UK HT, start of Paris school hols and German Fasching holidays. Most French and Austrian resorts will be rammed. Try a smaller resort in Italy maybe??

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Butch, it is a Snowheads tradition that when you create some helpful criteria people then suggest something that doesn't fit. I would stick to your guns, with a 2 and 7 year old you don't want a long transfer.

However half term does mean crowds. On @luigi's graph the green shows the number of French holidaymakers - so roughly how crowded French resorts will be - and the yellow Germans mostly skiing in Austria. The week from 10th will be peak crowds in Austria, not quite peak in France. The forecast seems to be for the currently warm temperatures to drop by then, and there might even be snow next weekend.

I don't know what flights from Bristol you could get at relatively short notice, but it is often the case that Geneva is well served. In which case Grand Massif seems a good bet if you can find suitable accommodation (it is unlikely to be anything other than Saturday to Saturday). Flaine is the obvious base for second-week skiers but it is very much a purpose-built resort, not sure what it offers non-skiers or toddlers. A satellite resort such as Les Carroz or Morillon might be easier for the non-skiers but frustrating for the skiers given the recent poor snow at lower altitudes. When it comes to lessons, at short notice you are going to have to go with what is available, there probably won't be many options (and those might be over lunchtime, which means you would need an early fuel stop if your 7 year old is typical).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butch wrote:
Hey all, been lurking for a few weeks after our first ski trip in Jan. We've got the bug and are looking to go away anytime from next Wednesday for a week (yes I know it's over half term)

Here's our criteria (might be a lot to ask but let's see!):

1, flights from Bristol - so maybe Geneva area
2, ideally 2 ish hours trf
3, somewhere that works for 2nd time skiers - 2 adults and one 7 year old
5, a good ski school that we can take private lessons (7 YO didn't enjoy ski school)

I've been looking at Grand Massif a lot.

Any insights or advice very welcome!

TIA

Flaine an obvious choice for many aspect.

Family mixing throughout the day for lunch etc is particularly easy as your not going to be far apart. All skiing for that bit is directly centred on the core.
Good meeting options for both skiers and pedestrian with lift access to top for both.
Lunch places in Forum are very easy for all to meet, with tobbogan facility there too.
Some of the easiest access direct to piste for early skills, with very good /easy/wide blue pistes right from topmost principal lift. The other villages of GM are all good, but none offer this pure ease for early skills.
Short-ish transfer, with not absolutely huge accommodation numbers to stack peak visitors into. It'll be busy everywhere in other ski areas, but can survive a little better here because of this.

If you can find somewhere suitable for accommodation, then it's quite a good choice there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luigi wrote:
Try a smaller resort in Italy maybe?

Doesn't even need to be that small, I have spent the equivalent week in Gressoney several times. It got a bit busier at weekends with people from Milan and Turin but was quiet during the week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
luigi wrote:
Try a smaller resort in Italy maybe?

Doesn't even need to be that small, I have spent the equivalent week in Gressoney several times. It got a bit busier at weekends with people from Milan and Turin but was quiet during the week.

Yeah, Monte Rosa wasn't busy at HT when I visited either. Many Italian resorts are quiet on weekdays and they don't have a whole week of school holidays in Feb either.

The exceptions are resorts in South Tyrol that are popular with Germans on the Fasching break, so Val Gardena (and by extension the Sella Ronda) and Kronplatz. Canazei also gets super busy with Danes that week too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Flaine
2. Avoriaz
3. La Rosiere
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butch wrote:

They might be best left at home.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone, that's all really helpful. Flaine was pretty high up on our list with some fairly reasonable accommodation still around. I'll dog a little deeper!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Butch, what sort of accommodation are you thinking of (SC apartment / B&B / HB hotel / other)? How do you plan to get from the airport to resort? What sort of activities would the MiL like? For e.g. would somewhere with nice walking and the ability to get to meet the skiers for lunch suit?

Mainly the latter for the MIL. It's certainly a challenge to find somewhere that works for everyone. If it had a pool that would help. Would happily hire a car as long as there wasn't too much snow!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
Butch wrote:

In an ideal world I'm with you 100% - broaching that subject is a bridge too far Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi wrote:
It's going to be superbusy 10-17th Feb across the Alps with UK HT, start of Paris school hols and German Fasching holidays. Most French and Austrian resorts will be rammed. Try a smaller resort in Italy maybe??

Interesting graph thanks! We also have the option to go away second week of Easter holidays (1st April) if we pick somewhere high your graph tells me we might have more fun!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Butch, there's public pool in the centre if needed.

Les Terraces D'Eos accommodation though has a really good pool facility, with both indoor and pretty spectacular outdoor pools + steam room etc. Bit of a highlight the outdoor one for us as family. Particularly in the evening out under velvet dark blue and starry sky, not often I'd swim in the evening but was quite special there.

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/france/le-grand-massif/flaine/residence-les-terrasses-deos-special-prices

Located just outside the main centre of Flaine, but walkable in about 250 meters, an excellent place to stay. It is ski both in & out by using nearby small chairlift to access, literally walk straight out of boot/ski room onto the piste.
ski holidays
Butch wrote:
Interesting graph thanks! We also have the option to go away second week of Easter holidays (1st April) if we pick somewhere high your graph tells me we might have more fun!

Definitely
latest report
It might be too late to arrange any ski lessons to suit you at half term in France.
snow conditions
Butch wrote:
red 27 wrote:
Butch wrote:

In an ideal world I'm with you 100% - broaching that subject is a bridge too far Shocked

Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've been to Flaine a lot - but it can get rammed during Feb half term (once had to unload then park at Vernant and ski back to Flaine Forum as all the Forum/Foret parking was full!!).

Having said that - there is a good area in Flaine Forum for a 2 year old to mess around in the snow with grandparents while others ski.

For a family trip - I'd recommend Flaine at Easter rather than Feb half-term.
latest report
Agree that Easter a better bet
latest report
Butch wrote:

Certainly a lot less people ski at Easter, though whoever is about will be heading to the same places that are open and have good snow.
ski holidays
Thanks again everyone. I think we're going to hold off and see what Easter brings. Maybe a gamble with the snow but if it works could be better value and perhaps less people (which is important at our level!) Will probably hold off for a couple of weeks before and create a similar thread for a last minute trip then! Cheers! Very Happy
latest report
Who are DUI on the graph?
latest report
@Arwenny, duitsland
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy