Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire boots: canting adjustment?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend going skiing for the first time has significantly 'bowed' legs, so will need boots with a canting adjustment. Will he easily be able to find them in hire shops? Understandably he doesn't want to lay out on buying a pair of he decides skiing is not for him.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doubt it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ecureuil, per @spyderjon.

But it's probably not relevant anyway for a first time (or second, or third). The "canting" adjustment on boots is really only for comfort, it's not terribly functional.

If he likes the skiing, after the 2nd or 3rd or 4rth, or 5th week and wants to buy boots, if it's really causing a functional inability to flatten the skis, he can address it properly then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ecureuil, on rental boots not a chance, on a boot which is a retail model stocked for rental by occasional stores possibly, but it is pot luck and will depend on what shop you use for rental

the trouble is, people who have this type of biomechanics are normally the ones who quit skiing as they find it uncomfortable in the rental kit

there are a couple of things you can do to "cheat" things a little
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM wrote:
@ecureuil, on rental boots not a chance, on a boot which is a retail model stocked for rental by occasional stores possibly, but it is pot luck and will depend on what shop you use for rental

the trouble is, people who have this type of biomechanics are normally the ones who quit skiing as they find it uncomfortable in the rental kit

what?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have very bow leg(s) too, but I was never really bothered about canting adjustment until I had one knee straightened by 9 degrees - they were doing an ACL reconstruction anyway, and the inner node of that knee that had been unstable for 13 years (although I'd not really noticed the lack of ACL) had no meniscus and almost no end-of-bone cartilage as a result of all the pressure going through one side of the joint.

As a result my feet are now at different angles, and even with canting adjusted to the max it makes a noticeable difference to my left and right turns, such that I really had to work on it on my BASI L3 technical. In other words the canting adjustment is not enough to counter this, and therefore would not have been enough to 'straighten' the feet anyway.

But in real world terms it makes little difference, and I certainly wouldn't expect that a beginner would even notice it, assuming they're both at the same angle. He'll have enough to worry about anyway, so best not to be bothered by this unless or until he's been bitten by the bug and wants to get his own boots. Even then it should only be addressed if it's actually causing a problem, which IME is very unlikely.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimummk wrote:
CEM wrote:

what?

and with that attitude i will take my 35 years experience and not bother posting here, if the OP wants to know feel free to DM me
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
skimummk wrote:
CEM wrote:

what?

and with that attitude i will take my 35 years experience and not bother posting here, if the OP wants to know feel free to DM me

Perhaps a little harsh. I'd love to know what sort of cheats you're thinking of too. Please share with us.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my 2cts:

"canting" or rather "lateral cuff lean" ist massively underrated. having skis flat on the ground while knees track properly is key to good skiing, as much as a good fore-aft balance.

If no adjustment is available, there are two main ways of tackling the issue (in this case lack of means to lean cuff more outwards)
-a very supportive footbed to minimise pronation
and/or
-hard foam/plastic added to the medial side of liner to position the lower leg farther outward in the cuff, which then tips the boot inward.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy