Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RyanAir return boarding passes

Poster: A snowHead
Just downloaded and printed our outbound boarding passes and noticed a little line underneath the link:

"Boarding passes must be printed for use"

That's fine for outbound but could be problematic for return. Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah so you have used the website for boarding passes and those are A4 page ones and require printing. For return go into the Ryanair app and add boarding passes to your 'wallet' (on iPhone, no idea on different smartphones but assume they have something similar).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's probably just a standard print out thing... if you can have it on your phone as a pass, it should be fine.. what is the airport to come back. For sure Stansted in the UK does not need you to print anything
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Use the app! You’ll need to use it to check in anyway and then you’ll have the passes.

And make sure you have checked in three hours before boarding. (Two hours actually, but give yourself time to contact their help desk in case of problem. Else you’ll be paying £££ to check in at the airport.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're coming back from Faro. I'd just assumed that we'd store the PDF on some device and then show it at check-in but the wording suggests it must be printed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Which airports do not accept Ryanair's mobile boarding passes?
We accept mobile boarding passes on flights from the majority of airports on our network.
However unfortunately some airports cannot accept mobile boarding passes yet, these airports are:

Turkey
Morocco
Israel
Lebanon
Also the following airport does not accept mobile boarding passes:

Kefalonia
Tirana
*Customers traveling from these airports must check in online and print out a paper boarding pass for their flight(s).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@altis, app appears to be the answer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis wrote:
We're coming back from Faro. I'd just assumed that we'd store the PDF on some device and then show it at check-in but the wording suggests it must be printed.
This is what I do, just bring the pdf up on my phone.

I've only been asked once about a printed pass and I just said "I don't have one, I'm not wasting paper or downloading an app". I think it's just something they say to limit the number of people causing delays with their barcodes not scanning (wallet - and I assume the airline apps - automatically increases brightness to make scanning easy). It's not something I've ever seen enforced.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Thomasski, Is app downloading something you are morally opposed to?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought Ryanair let you check in a month in advance. Could you not print your return boarding pass now?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Legend. wrote:
@Thomasski, Is app downloading something you are morally opposed to?

Not morally, but principally yes! I get to choose what I download and how I deal with data. As long as I have the information required then I don't see why I should have to fill my phone with rubbish.

I try to be careful with my exposure to too much tech-crap. I don't have any social media accounts and I'm cautious/particular about where my personal information ends up. Not a prepper or paranoid in any way, just not something I want to be involved in - maybe I'm just a grump!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Thomasski, +1
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@euanovsky, not unless you pay for a seat. These are a minimum of £10 each up until 24 hours before your flight when you can have their allocation for free.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the end of Covid lockdowns you required lots of printed stuff for travelling anywhere. We asked our hotel reception to print it for us and they did without charge. I handed them a memory stick.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, at one point I ended up with handwritten versions of the French declaration to travel, as there was no-one to print it off for me. Hotels and bars closed etc etc. No-one asked for them of course, but I have no doubt if I didn't have them someone would have done.
ski holidays
Can you not just check in for the return trip now and print your boarding pass? I fly Ryanair a bit and can always check in for both flights ages in advance (they allow a huge amount of time prior to flying to do this) then I print off and take both boarding passes (I also have the app but I’m old fashioned and like to have an actual bit of paper!).

Edit, ah, just saw you haven’t selected seats, I guess that’s it. Surprised they’re so expensive, flights to Spain have free seats towards the rear and others throughout the cabin for £3.
ski holidays
@Dav, I don't fly RyanAir much (they never seem to go where I want to go) but I seem to recall that you couldn't check in until 24 hours beforehand. I do recall getting a hotel in Krackov to print one out for me the day we were due to fly.
snow conditions
@altis, where are you skiing near Faro? Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@Dav, I don't fly RyanAir much (they never seem to go where I want to go) but I seem to recall that you couldn't check in until 24 hours beforehand. I do recall getting a hotel in Krackov to print one out for me the day we were due to fly.

John, I fly with them a few times a year to Malaga and, so long as you’ve booked a specific seat, you can check in months in advance. In fact in the past couple of weeks I’ve booked a couple of trips for my parents (they have a place in the south of Spain) and I checked them in for their trip back out in late March, and printed off their boarding passes for them.

It may be different on other routes, but on the Bournemouth to Malaga route I find there is very little price difference in paying for hold luggage and a seat than there is for taking on a mini-case on the plane plus a seat. The cheapest fare only allows a small carry on bag which has to go under the seat in front, so basically a handbag or small bag. Paying for a cabin bag gives you, I believe, 10kg which can go in the overheads (also allows priority boarding but that makes a zero difference to me as I tend to wait and just get on towards the end). Believe it or not, paying for a suitcase in the hold is only about 7 or 8 quid more expensive than paying to take a mini suitcase on the plane; but I like to pay for an aisle seat which costs £3 towards the front if I’ve got a bag in the hold, some are free towards the rear. I’m pretty sure the price per seat goes up if you’ve only got carry on (but not as much as the £10 altis is being charged, that’s a rip off). Plus I prefer the hassle of not lugging a mini case on and hoping there’s room for it near me, I just take a very small bag that sits by my feet with no bother.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 3-02-24 12:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just on the downloading apps... They're also useful to get up to date flight info.

Best example I had was last year in the French air traffic control strikes. We knew our Easyjet flight home (4pm) was delayed first thing in the morning. Meant we stayed an extra hour in Disneyland. Got to the airport in time for check in but only just rather than hours before. We knew that the minimum check in time for bag drop would still give us loads of time to amble through security and get food because there was a 4 hour delay.

All the online things from the airport we're still saying on time even though our plane was a whole leg behind.

Easyjet's in app Comms were top notch and meant we adjusted our plans.
latest report
Whether you hold it an app or as a PDF you still need a smartphone. And something like 15% of UK 55-65s don't have one, increasing to 20% over 65. They have no choice but to have a printed version.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
Whether you hold it an app or as a PDF you still need a smartphone. And something like 15% of UK 55-65s don't have one, increasing to 20% over 65. They have no choice but to have a printed version.

Of the ones who don't own a smartphone, how many are booking Ryanair flights?

They can always just check in at the airport (or find somewhere to print off the return). Yes, it's cost and hassle but they've saved the cost of a smartphone.
snow conditions
@Dav, I agree about putting a bag in the hold and I share that with my wife. I never prebook seats and assume that there will always be one for me on the aircraft. IIRC our last flight on RyanAir was to Bratislava and we just took small carry on bags onto the plane which we were actually permitted to put in the lockers.

Recently we flew with British Air (They are still around) and was amazed at the number and size of bags people were carrying on. Many passengers had two big bags and the flight attendants spent ages walking up and down the plane trying to find somewhere to put them.
Quote:

Of the ones who don't own a smartphone, how many are booking Ryanair flights?

My friend Les does.
snow report
Well. Yes. Of course someone's mate will. My point was more that older people who don't own smartphones will more often than not also not be doing foreign holidays etc etc etc.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
@altis, where are you skiing near Faro? Very Happy Very Happy

Following with interest Very Happy
latest report
@ecureuil, I'm sure we'll find somewhere Wink

Our experiments on the outward leg didn't go well. It was no suprise that the barcode didn't work on my Kaios phone with it's tiny screen but it still didn't work with Mrs A's iphone. Both had to resort to paper.

Will find somewhere to print them out for the return.
ski holidays
I was finalising details, including for the flights for our (17-24 Feb) half term trip and I went in to book our seats (we need to sit together). I was pleasantly surprised that I could pay £0 for each of the seats that I choose, both outbound and return. There were also some seats for £2 each.
After that it let me check-in for both the outbound and return flights.

It might be worth checking how much it would cost to choose your seats now.
ski holidays
Ryanair have a new policy that if you have not booked a seat (£8 from memory) you cannot print the or download the boarding card. Instead you have to queue up at the airport. Ryanair have an amazing truck of dropping to a new level of scuminess.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kezzy19661, except you can use the app to check in.
snow conditions
I don’t use Ryanair. I just don’t like their model.

But I don’t get this complaint either. Pay peanuts for your flight, then “save” yourself a couple of quid by not selecting a seat. Knowing that you don’t like smartphones so will not be able to check in online for the return journey. Then complain about how terrible Ryanair is. Well if you choose to fly with them, it is what it is. You could choose to not to.

Seriously saving a couple of quid meaning you have the hassle and stress of getting boarding passes printed by hotel or having to pay to check-in at the airport. Nuts.
snow report
@zikomo, I never complained about how terrible RyanAir is do I think anyone else did. The question was a simple one about how to get a boarding card. Personnaly, I cannot see the point in wasting money reserving a specific seat or carrying more than I need for a trip. Whether I sit in seat 4a or 21b is of no consequence to me.

I think you are over estimating the effort required to print out a boarding card or have it on your mobile phone.
latest report
Just use app.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
@kezzy19661, except you can use the app to check in.

I believe that is changing. You will need a printed card unless you have upgraded.
snow conditions
Quote:
Not sure what there is to dislike after a Ryanair Gran Canaria trip for £30 each way at the end of November wink Couldn't fault them in any way. Didn't book seats or luggage and just used the app for boarding passes, no bother at all. Same for a Faro trip last September.

What is it about Ryanair that means you'd rather pay hundreds of pounds more for flights @zikomo?
latest report
zikomo wrote:

There are time when it is annoying but if they are the only operator doing the route you want then it seems daft to avoid using them just becuase of that (not that I am suggesting this is the case for you, just generally.)

The additional hoops you have to jump through to get a satisfactory flight are very simple and the process works fine.

If I could choose the operator for the route I wanted to use it would not be ryanair very often at all but it probably is for 25%-50% of my flights a year
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Not sure what there is to dislike after a Ryanair Gran Canaria trip for £30 each way at the end of November wink Couldn't fault them in any way. Didn't book seats or luggage and just used the app for boarding passes, no bother at all. Same for a Faro trip last September.

What is it about Ryanair that means you'd rather pay hundreds of pounds more for flights @zikomo?

It's quite simple, how they treat their customers. Especially when things go wrong. I have twice had to take them to court, and won, to recover costs that they are clearly liable for despite multiple and reasonable efforts to resolve it otherwise. I simply do not like organisations that, as a matter of policy and business model, flaunt the law. What is worse is that when they do abandon people (illegally), many will often lack the resources and/or knowledge of their rights to be able to take alternative options precisely because of the low cost nature of the model. I have seen this, and had to intervene, when people were left to their own resources following flight cancellations and simply had nothing to fall back on. As an organisation they are simply dishonest and refuse to do what they are legally required to because it is cheaper to argue the few that will be challenged.

I get that the majority of their flights will be trouble free. And I have no sympathy at all for those who complain about their baggage, seating or other policies being enforced. If you choose to fly Ryanair then you should make yourself aware of and follow those policies. But I don't have to support a company that believes that it can and should operate outside the legal regulations, so I don't. And anyway, in general they don't offer very good value for me anyway.
ski holidays
Fair dos @zikomo. Over the time they've been operating, I've had no issues with Ryanair - but do try to avoid Jet2 after two cancellations (quite near departure) of flights booked ages in advance Confused
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I have had problems on pretty much all the major airlines. Mostly because I used to fly a huge amount on business (4-6 medium haul flights/week). And all of them have at some point not done a good job of looking after people following cancellations and delays. But Ryanair is the only large airline I know that shirks its legal responsibilities as a matter of policy. To be honest it is beyond me why the regulator(s) don't have more teeth to simply stamp this behaviour out. The only recourse I have is to recover the costs I am entitled to and then withhold my business from them.

I don't doubt that they provide a service that people want, otherwise they would not exist. And I have no problem if you or anyone else are happy using them. As I said I do have a problem with people who moan about the fees, and their rules being enforced. That just seems dumb tbh.
ski holidays
We returned without too many problems on Saturday - including transfer from the airport to near home on the service bus for just £2 each! However, there were some niggles on the way.

We managed to get our return boarding passes printed at the tourist office relatively easily and these proved to be essential.

When we got to Faro airport we found the RyanAir automated baggage drop but, unlike at Manchester, they could not scan a boarding pass. Instead these machines each had a QR code (on, what looked like, an e-ink screen) and you were supposed to scan them in your app. I tried using the QR-reading app on my phone and these took me to:
https://mntapplnk.ryanair.com/...(somewhere)
This opened up fine but the whirly wheel kept spinning for over a minute so I just cancelled it and we moved over to the single manned desk.

I displayed the barcode on my phone but despite her valiant efforts she couldn't get it to scan. She then said she'd have to go away and print our passes because we'd need them later. She didn't say whether this would actually cost us anything. At this point we revealed that we had paper passes and we continued on as normal.

While this was happening some people next to us were having a very hard time trying to use the automated drop and were asking why they just couldn't have people on desks.

The rest of the journey onto the plane worked fine with our paper passes.

A little bit of research has led me to believe that this is not all RyanAir's fault. Bar coded boarding passes are defined by IATA and the printed version uses a stacked barcode called PDF417:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF417
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boarding_pass#Bar-codes
https://www.iata.org/contentassets/1dccc9ed041b4f3bbdcf8ee8682e75c4/2021_03_02-bcbp-implementation-guide-version-7-.pdf

These are optimized for printing but the standard also allows the use of other barcodes, notably Aztec, which is optimized for use on small screens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_Code

Peering over the shoulder of someone successfully using their phone to check in, I suspect that this is what the app uses.

Upon decoding my barcode I can see that just contains my name and flight details in one of those IATA strings. Perhaps I could just decode it and re-encode it in another format so it would work:
https://bytescout.com/download/download_freeware.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy