Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow sure resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hello. New to the site which is full of amazing advice and help!

We are heading to Geneva on 5th April . Hoping to book 5 nigts in a snow sure resort - Val Thorens appear to be the best bet but I'm keen on Flaine as it's just that bit closer to Geneva. Resort website says now is more or less assured in April - what do you reckon? Is VT our best bet to make sure we can ski for 4 days?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nicolachacksfield@gmail.c wrote:

We are heading to Geneva on 5th April . Hoping to book 5 nigts in a snow sure resort - Val Thorens appear to be the best bet but I'm keen on Flaine as it's just that bit closer to Geneva. Resort website says now is more or less assured in April - what do you reckon? Is VT our best bet to make sure we can ski for 4 days?

Val Thorens and Tignes are probably the two most obvious answers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

For the extra 80mins of transfer time, VT will give you better conditions for spring skiing - the ridge of the Flaine bowl isn't much higher than VT town!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're booking soon, then as above Tignes and Val Thorens are the most likely. If you're happy waiting till a lot later to book, then it's likely you'll have more options
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nicolachacksfield@gmail.c, I can't speak for Flaine but we will be at VT for our 3rd easter running and the conditions have always been as good if not better than Feb HT (for us). Yes, bit slushy at times on certain slopes lower in altitude and south facing, but the lack of queues, warmer sun and longer sunlight never disappoints. Nowhere is snow sure, but I am betting on two weeks of loveliness 30 March to 13 April Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@nicolachacksfield@gmail.c, welcome to SH's.

"Snow sure" is ambiguous. Flaine is open until April 21st and there will be skiing. How much and how pleasant will deteriorate as time goes on.

VT has much more high altitude and a longer season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
VT has much more high altitude and a longer season.
As does the Tignes/Val D'Isere area, which is open into May.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If you're booking soon, then as above Tignes and Val Thorens are the most likely. If you're happy waiting till a lot later to book, then it's likely you'll have more options

This.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nicolachacksfield@gmail.c, Welcome to Snowheads Nicola. You may want to change your username unless you want loads of unsolicited emails.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Val Thorens any time. It's really high. I wouldn't bother with Flaine unless you know by 3rd week of March that's an absolutely cracking snow year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flaine is VERY snowsure, most years at the end of the season it is in the top-3 of deepest snowpack of France and the Alps.
This is mostly due to the massive amounts of precipitation compared to resorts more towards inner-alpine position, due to more exposed westerly position.

HOWEVER
Only the bowl around Flaine and Grandes Plattieres is high. Large part of the ski area is below 2000. So most probably snow will be slushy, and lower runs (towards Morillon 1100) will be closed.

When skiiing in France, I would by far prefer Tignes over Val Thorens. And I've been to both multiple times over 20 years.

Tignes is more inner-alpine, meaning further away from the hot french plains.
ValTho and 3V is more towards the outside of the Vanoise massif.
So 3V is MUCH more vulnerable to the pushes of hot spring air moving up from the lower plains around Lyon and Grenoble.
The cold air remains much longer, further east, so towards Tignes and Val d'Isere. Deep towards the inner valleys of Vanoise.

In addition, a larger proportion of Tignes and VdI is over 2000, compared to 3V. Normally, the valley descend towards Tignes Val Claret is skiable into early June.

A very good alternative is Cervinia in Aosta Valley. All slopes are over 2050. Valley descend open till end of may most years. And you can ski the Kleine Matterhorn, at 3900 meters, which should be on anyone's bucketlist. Plus the longest ski descend of the world, from Kleine Matterhorn to Valtournenche, 23 kilometers and 2300 vertical meters.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Le Grand Massif has it's own micro-climate, and an unusually good snow record for it's altitude - much of the skiing is also done on North facing slopes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nicolachacksfield@gmail.c,

Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. Not sure how to change my user name!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Welcome to Snowheads. To change your username, pop a request in this thread:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5241147#5241147

and one of the friendly mods will come along and sort it.
snow report
Engleberg could be a good shout instead of the usual VT and EK answers
ski holidays
Welcome.

There are 300 ski resorts within 3hrs of Geneva airport

Among the snowsurest and biggest and best are...

1. Val d'Isere
2. La Plagne
3. Zermatt
ski holidays
Thanks for these tips, much appreciated.
snow report
Worth pointing out that Flaine has about as much apres atmosphere as a wake. Le White Pub is pretty much the only place. If that's not a concern its a great place to ski otherwise
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy