Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas for a big North American trip

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of a big North American trip (maybe next year but probably the year after so planning well in advance - particularly with the way lift passes seem to be priced etc).

Any suggestions for places to consider.....criteria for me would be: -
* Snowboarder friendly
* Not insanely busy (we've all seen the Mammoth Opening Day videos and I'd just turn round and go home if I went somewhere like that).
* Very different to Alpine Europe in terms of both resort feel and the types of runs available (I'm thinking potential for BIG powder days, crazy cold etc).

I'm a solid blue / reasonable red rider (and I'm 48 so not going to be suddenly hitting parks or heli-boarding or anything mad like that....not enough money, skill, fitness etc) so I'm not interested in jumping off Corbets etc....

Very early stages of thoughts at the minute so open to any suggestions but somewhere that'd be an adventure that I wouldn't get in Europe is the big thing. Seems pointless to fly all the way over there to just cruise down blues for a week like you would in France or Austria.

Looking online there seems to be a fairly common resort model where you've a town, near a mountain.....big road up to a car park & lodge then lifts heading off up a mountain.......that feels like it'd be pretty boring just going up and down the same runs all the time (am I missing something in terms of scale etc???).

So.....any suggestions welcome. I'm not bothered about cost (within reason....I'm not a millionaire but I can plan it miles in advance and save for it). Likely just to be me on my own as well unless I find a mate mad enough for that kind of adventure.

If you're doing one trip to North America.....where do you go....???
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done the Lake Tahoe Area, Whistler (twice) and Salt Lake City as a base for the Cottonwood Canyon resorts

if I could only ever do one again it would be Whistler, but since I last went 15 years ago the crowds have apparently increased a lot. SLC for the cottonwood canyon is worth considering - there are a few more resorts a little further away for variety
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulhinch wrote:

* Snowboarder friendly
* Not insanely busy (we've all seen the Mammoth Opening Day videos and I'd just turn round and go home if I went somewhere like that).
* Very different to Alpine Europe in terms of both resort feel and the types of runs available (I'm thinking potential for BIG powder days, crazy cold etc).

With these criteria go to Hokkaido in Japan, not the US. As a side benefit it’s also much cheaper.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:

With these criteria go to Hokkaido in Japan, not the US. As a side benefit it’s also much cheaper.

That's a whole other level of research needed.....

I guess the appeal of North America is language. I'm not great at languages generally so I'd be mega nervous of heading to Japan on my own and navigating my way around (at least in Europe the languages come from the same background so you can translate words on signs etc even if you're not 100%). Will add it to my research list though.....have heard it's a powder paradise....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jackson Hole, day dog sledding ,a day at Grand Targhee, visit Yellowstone etc, much more than a bog standard skiing trip...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulhinch wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I guess the appeal of North America is language. I'm not great at languages generally so I'd be mega nervous of heading to Japan on my own and navigating my way around (at least in Europe the languages come from the same background so you can translate words on signs etc even if you're not 100%). Will add it to my research list though.....have heard it's a powder paradise....

They cater to Australians so it’s really not that hard. Or just join a group tour, there are loads. I’m just back. Best snow I ever skied. And all the locals are Snowboarders!

http://youtube.com/v/tilZznbgB-g
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's definitely different from the Solaise in Val D'Isere Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
Jackson Hole, day dog sledding ,a day at Grand Targhee, visit Yellowstone etc, much more than a bog standard skiing trip...

Had a quick look at Jackson....bit of a pain to get to but I guess that's one of the benefits in terms of reducing crowds etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@paulhinch, It has it's own airport, 20 miles from the resort, UK to a USA hub, then onto JAC, dead easy!

but for big powder days can't go wrong with Japan, no issues when I went with English being spoken.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vail had this massive bowl area at the back with tons of powder… and some random skiing through the trees (we lost my husband!), though it wasn’t my scene but if you’re into that stuff it’s great - and very accessible from Denver airport - pricy to stay there though. We only went there for the day and stayed at Breckenridge. There were loads of snowboarders around so you’d have company!

We went in Feb half term a couple of years back and we had the slopes to ourselves, although got a bit busier on Friday and weekend was heaving due to presidents day weekend.

Ski passes are expensive so consider getting an epic pass before the season starts and max it out by going again and using some of the partner resorts in Europe… one year we did breckenridge, 3 valleys and whistler in a year… definitely was living the dream that year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
[Jackson] It has it's own airport, 20 miles from the resort, UK to a USA hub, then onto JAC, dead easy! ..
My advice would be to pick somewhere with a direct non-stop flight, so not that. It's just hassle and risk no one needs, and there are lots of better options.

My suggestions would be:
  • SLC and surrounding resorts, with a vehicle or check the busses. Plenty snowboard friendly, dry snow when it's happening.
  • Colorado. Dryer snow than Europe, lots of resorts, hire a car and sample them all.
  • Aspen or Vail or Whistler or Banff if you want a single-location

I'd not bother with:
  • top left USA as the snow's more coastal and you may as well go to Whistler.
  • Taos or Jackson etc as you can't fly direct and they're single resorts.
  • Quebec or the top right USA (not that much powder there).
  • interior BC hills as they're hard to get to and small.

Quote:
..feels like it'd be pretty boring just going up and down the same runs all the time (am I missing something in terms of scale etc???).
If you mean: the number of lifts and runs seem small compared with Europe, you're missing the fact that the entire resort area is ridable.
But as above, you can pick bigger areas if you want, or locations with multiple hill options (SLC, Banff) so you can visit a different area each day.

The other thing is the quality of the snow, which is a revelation if you're used to the European stuff.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@paulhinch, think Banff would be a gentle intro to North American skiing.

Easy transfer from Calgary airport, and direct flights available.

Nice town, and 3 resorts all available on a single pass (note, that won't be the cheapest way doing the passes there!!)

Loads of accommodation options and eating options depending on budgets.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve been to Alta/Snowbird, Jackson, Aspen and Whistler over the last few years.

Alta had the best snow although no snowboarders allowed so that’s out. I also found the vertical a bit short compared to Europe. Snowbird back bowls were better. Maybe you could combine with Park city etc?

Jackson had the best (steep) terrain, great town and good snow. But the queue for the main tram got big and the accom and pass is $$$

Aspen is a fancy place, beautifully groomed pistes, highland bowl had great powder. Again very pricey

Whistler has the biggest area, good variety of terrain. Loads going on in town. Unreliable snow - from rain to powder. Seems to be very busy now, especially weekends, and expensive.

Jackson was my favourite but maybe Aspen if backcountry is less of a thing. It’s a lot of money though!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replies. Definitely a few in there I'd not considered so with some more research.

Didn't realise Utah was that good. Thought Jackson was more of a pain to get to and I'd had Banff down as not a patch on Whistler (but actually sounds different).

Japan might be too adventurous for me but that video posted before is making me reconsider
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Banff as stated would be an easy to do North American option for a Brit. Good combination of easy logistics and great skiing.

As for Colorado, be careful of altitude sickness at some of their higher mountains. Some are really high and can wipe you out. Some less so. No where else in North America will you have this problem. Utah advantages are this (slightly lower elevation) and skiing is closer to the main airport - but this later one is more of a consideration for someone coming from, say, New York, who will not be committing as much time to the trip and will want squeeze more skiing into a shorter window. But the big time Colorado mountains are awesome and definitely bucket list. You will want to stay away from Denver to avoid all of the day trippers.

I only mention this out of an abundance of caution. Do not do east coast NA. Worth doing if you live there, or are visiting/working/going to school there for a period of time, but those mountains are minor league compared to Alps and Western NA.

Generally, skiing in NA will be more up and down, as opposed to traversing or touring. You will be more apt to lap runs that you find great. Trail maps will be more defined, and you will stay more in the same general area and tick off each run one by one, as opposed to ski to get to places, than ski to get to places, which is what you do in many of the large Alps mountains. Will much more likely need/want a car than on your typical Euro trip. Budget for that. Lot less ski in ski out, and more drive, park, then boot up in the lodge or car, depending on circumstances and personal preferences. Of course, there are a ton of options in NA, and you can find more or less anything if you research it long enough.
ski holidays
Did this 2 years ago:

Flew to San Francisco, picked up a hire car and drove to South Lake Tahoe.
Had Heavenly on the doorstep, and the pass also covered Northstar and Kirkwood.
Skiied these for 10 days.
Drove back down to SF, and had 3 days of sightseeing and beer drinking.
Flew back.

Absolutely loved it, and would do it again in a heartbeat.
snow report
Quote:
I'd had Banff down as not a patch on Whistler (but actually sounds different)
Having skied loads in Canada and the US (including all Banff resorts, Revelstoke, Big White, Silver Star, Whistler, Panorama, Kicking Horse, Fernie, Kimberley, Vail, Aspen, Winter Park, A-Basin, Keystone, Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley, Snowbird, Alta and Lake Tahoe areas), I'd say you really couldn't go wrong with Banff for a first transatlantic jaunt.

Not only great ski areas (including Norquay, which is dismissed by the locals, so is usually very quiet) and reliable snow, but a lovely town, with a great selection of restaurants and bars. The skiing is easily reached by the reliable free ski bus. (*Is it still free?? It's a while since I was there.)

Mrs MA and I have been to Banff twice and as well as the local areas, also skied (on excursions) to Panorama and Nakiska, which were both enjoyable.

Off the slopes in Banff, we did a panoramic helicopter flight, dog sledding and a winter walk up the frozen and spectacular Johnson Canyon. As I say, I think you'd love it as a first trip across the pond.

On a different, DIY trip, into Calgary, and with use of a hire car, we also skied Canada Olympic Park, which you drive past on the way to The Rockies. It's a small area, with a couple of chairlifts serving a small vertical. It's usually skiing on man-made snow but is a great little set up. It's part of the complex where Eddie The Eagle soared to fame at the 1988 Olympics. The skiing is next to the ski jump. We really enjoyed our visit, for the novelty aspect - and visited the Olympic Museum there too.
snow conditions
@paulhinch,
How long are you looking to be over there? What sort of accommodation are you considering? Where would you be flying into? How would you be travelling around?
snow conditions
I missed where you said how long this trip would be?

My suggestion is get the Ikon pass. Fly to Denver, stay in Frisco, Co and hit many resorts in Colorado. Then drive to Aspen Snowmass although a bit out of the way you could also go to Steamboat. After Aspen go to Salt Lake and hit up Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, and Snow Basin. FYI, Deer Valley and Alta do not allow snowboarders.

Watch out for the one-way car rental charge.
snow report
Quote:
I'd had Banff down as not a patch on Whistler (but actually sounds different)
Having skied loads in Canada and the US (including all Banff resorts, Revelstoke, Big White, Silver Star, Whistler, Panorama, Kicking Horse, Fernie, Kimberley, Vail, Aspen, Winter Park, A-Basin, Keystone, Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley, Snowbird, Alta and Lake Tahoe areas), I'd say you really couldn't go wrong with Banff for a first transatlantic jaunt.

Not only great ski areas (including Norquay, which is dismissed by the locals, so is usually very quiet) and reliable snow, but a lovely town, with a great selection of restaurants and bars. The skiing is easily reached by the reliable free ski bus. (*Is it still free?? It's a while since I was there.)

Mrs MA and I have been to Banff twice and as well as the local areas, also skied (on excursions) to Panorama and Nakiska, which were both enjoyable.

Off the slopes in Banff, we did a panoramic helicopter flight, dog sledding and a winter walk up the frozen and spectacular Johnson Canyon. As I say, I think you'd love it as a first trip across the pond.

On a different, DIY trip, into Calgary, and with use of a hire car, we also skied Canada Olympic Park, which you drive past on the way to The Rockies. It's a small area, with a couple of chairlifts serving a small vertical. It's usually skiing on man-made snow but is a great little set up. It's part of the complex where Eddie The Eagle soared to fame at the 1988 Olympics. The skiing is next to the ski jump. We really enjoyed our visit, for the novelty aspect - and visited the Olympic Museum there too.

A further thought: Given the state of sterling, Canada (at around €1.65 to the £) is currently a lot better value/more affordable for us Brits than the USA (at about $1.28 to the £).
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:
@paulhinch,
How long are you looking to be over there? What sort of accommodation are you considering? Where would you be flying into? How would you be travelling around?

Don't know, don't know, don't know at the moment.

I've a wife and a 4 year old son so it's whatever I can negotiate as a pass. She encourages a week in the Alps so I think I could squeeze two as a one off and keep it outside school holidays etc.

We're North West based so everywhere is likely to need a connection from Manchester. There's not much in the way of Direct USA flights unless the skiing in Atlanta has picked up recently.

We've done plenty of fly drive and backpacked round the US so I'm fine with either driving or public transport, whatevers best.

All research at the minute to work out options.

Just don't want to do it as a bit of a bucket list thing and then get there and have an experience that's pretty Alpine with an American twist (feel like Whistler or some of the big Colorado ones might be like this).

Quite like idea of a SF roadtrip. All food for thought
ski holidays
@paulhinch, what is the no.1 reason for doing the trip?

I had a similar idea many years ago and worked it backwards from why I wanted to go, what I wanted that I couldn't get in Europe. For me, it was fresh snow and the highest chance of getting fresh snow, so I went to Japan Smile

It didn't snow for the first 3 days and I started to get a bit worried......

http://youtube.com/v/sZaL5bk4QaY
snow report
I think it's two things.

1. I've an itch for a big adventure.
2. Conditions you just don't get in Europe.

I'm a latecomer to boarding having only started in 2018 in my 40s. I've never done back country stuff and the most adventurous I get in Europe is cutting a few corners off piste.

Japan appeals although I'm not sure I've the skills for those sorts of conditions
latest report
@paulhinch, and no 2. IMHO is the issue with NA, they have bad seasons and dry periods....
latest report
If you can afford it Vail is an excellent resort and with the adjacent resorts like Beaver Creek / Copper Mountain / Breckenridge has more than enough piste for 2x weeks on its own, let alone the expansive and safe back bowls . . .ideal for snowboarders at your level / age

Some peeps say it has no soul and is like 'Disneyland skiing' however you really need to find out for yourself . . . .get saving!
ski holidays
paulhinch wrote:
I think it's two things.

I'm a latecomer to boarding having only started in 2018 in my 40s. I've never done back country stuff and the most adventurous I get in Europe is cutting a few corners off piste.

Japan appeals although I'm not sure I've the skills for those sorts of conditions

As a solo book yourself onto a snowboarder friendly trip out of Furano, Hokkaido. Best pow on the planet. And much cheaper and better food! NA is much more of a lottery. They’re having a shocker this year and I say this as someone who’s paid big bucks for a heli trip in Canada in March rolling eyes
snow report
Yep - did a bit more research yesterday on Japan and actually looks v interesting.

Flights are more expensive (& longer) than North America but the rest of it looks pretty competitive (e.g. £1,500 fully guided for a week of snowboarding inc B&B accommodation etc - so just flights and extra meals on top)....

If I was doing that, I think 2026 is the option to then have enough time to up my skills a bit (how do you practice for daft powder without being in daft powder though???)
snow report
You mentioned that you're concerned about crowds at places like Mammoth - don't be - crowding on the opening day is a given anywhere, but in my experience, most mountains get busy on weekends with local visitors but as a week-long visitor you'll likely never see a lift line beyond a handful of people the time you're there.

I did all of my early riding in the US and Canada. IMV, you'll want 10 days minimum to get the best out of your trip - From what you've described, then I'd probably be calling Banff with the Big 3, plus the options on places like Panorama and Kicking Horse (watch the weather - after a storms moved through get the early bus to Kicking Horse next for a powder day you'll never forget).

Assuming they still do it, Norquay, Sunshine and Lake Louise all used to do a guided tour of the mountains free to join every day you just link up with to help learn your way around the mountain if you've not been before, which could be useful if you're on your own.

Personally though, I'd be very tempted into looking at that Japan trip.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

how do you practice for daft powder without being in daft powder though???

The end of season - Slush is the poor-mans powder on a snowboard... If only there was some kind of Group going on some kind of Bash at the End of the Season organised by some online forum or other...hmmm.
ski holidays
@paulhinch, Japow is so incredibly light (most of the time) that it's a lot easier to ride/ski than heavy Euro powder!
ski holidays
Quote:

heavy Euro powder!

Now there's an oxymoron Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
paulhinch wrote:

(how do you practice for daft powder without being in daft powder though???)

You go to North America, take a couple lessons on how to ski unpisted snow, then spend the rest of your 2 weeks there PRACTICE on the various conditions!

(Powder is the easiest of all unabashed snow. So if you can manage different off piste snow, you’ll ENJOY powder)
snow report
As a long time USA east coast resident for 40 yrs, i would suggest you consider basing out of Park City, couple of great local resorts you don't need to drive to, a nice sort of western town, plus well organized buses to get to big and little cottonwood and the others should you want to explore.

That 'legendary powder' can be very very elusive, and if you are lucky enough to be right place right time, well get ready for a total feeding frenzy with every "rad dude" within 100 miles showing up. If that happens, get an instructor not least so you can skip the big lines.
While the fresh snow in europe may be a little more dense, at least its not all tracked out by lunchtime.
snow report
Rather than constant laps, in NA you ski the whole (inbounds) mountain, so no two runs need to be the same, in and out of trees as you wish. The pistes are suggested routes down rather than obligatory.
They still did the free guided tours last time we were in Banff , my wife loves them.
ski holidays
paulhinch wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Lots of transport is also in english
You can make up the shortfall using apps like google translate & papago
Google maps for getting around.
Also it seems everyone snowboards! You will be hated in america as a snowboarder!
Lots of OZ & NZ do a season in Japan in ‘our winter’ & head to NZ during ‘our summer’.
latest report
Quote:

Imo skiing in N America is not necessarily so interesting. Yes there are some differences to Europe, but there is probably more in common. It's no "big adventure". Of course if you are willing there is big adventure to be had in the skiing, but you are probably not going to be throwing yourself down Corbet's/delirium dive/spankys ladder etc. you can definitely have some mini adventures learning to ski off piste and generally taking advantage of some of the off piste.

For big adventure Japan is a good shout. (Don't say the language is a problem as a. It's part of the adventure and B. The majority resorts are full of Aussies doing just fine with no language skills). I'd add Georgia. For real adventure you could even look at Lebanon or Iran.

You really need to decide what exactly is "adventure". Is it in the "exotic" location or is it in the skiing?

As for conditions you don't get in Europe? Well you get most things in Europe (cold snaps, spring skiing, even big powder days). Yes Canada you might get an even colder snap (but that's probably not a great thing only last week was -30 and lifts all closed). Other places will perhaps have more likelihood of big powder days than Europe - but even in N America they are not that common. Japan is about the most guaranteed powder you can get.
snow report
Bones wrote:
..[heavy Euro powder] Now there's an oxymoron ...
No, it's a description of how most European powder feels if you're used to most North American stuff.
This is quite good on snow density if it's something you're unaware of.

border2020 wrote:
Japan is about the most guaranteed powder you can get.
From a lift. But the OP claimed to be a "solid blue/ reasonable red rider", so this, and that ^ may be entirely moot.
snow report
I can't believe how much I've learnt just from one thread to be honest. Probably all well known stuff but shows how green I am in terms of world snow.

The "inbounds" trails of American resorts.. I always assumed that all the videos you saw of people in America were crazy back country trips whereas it sounds like there's a fair amount that's not pisted but pretty well trail marked and controlled.

That definitely appeals. I think particularly the fact that you can dabble on those trails then I could fall back to pisted runs if the reality of my (lack of) ability rears its head.

Japan as a suggestion has been a massive eye opener. That's definitely more of an adventure but it looks like there's still plenty of normal resort fall back options if I couldn't hack the serious stuff. I guess that would be my biggest worry.....being way out of my depth as someone who's relatively late and new to the sport.

In terms of my capabilities (just ref the post above). I'll happily go down Red runs in France but the majority of mileage has been on blues (although that's probably more the nature of the resorts).

Blacks have never really appealed as they always seem to look moguled to death. It's not so much the steepness that doesn't appeal, just the fact I'd prefer not to pick my way through a mogul field....so maybe I've been a bit self selective at that.
latest report
phil_w wrote:
kitenski wrote:
[Jackson] It has it's own airport, 20 miles from the resort, UK to a USA hub, then onto JAC, dead easy! ..
My advice would be to pick somewhere with a direct non-stop flight, so not that. It's just hassle and risk no one needs, and there are lots of better options.

Easy enough if you live in London, or are close to London - which lots of us aren't.

If we don't trek to Heathrow or Gatwick the majority of our long haul flights are non-direct Sad .
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, I did it from Leeds, the OP was talking about a trip of a lifetime, for me, an extra flight change would be fine for a one off trip!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy