Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5 Sleeps Before Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
We usually go for 2 weeks but this time will be staying for only a week and using our 3 Valleys season passes for our 6 free days in the Vail resorts.

We fly from Newcastle to Heathrow, then from there to Denver, hire a car and drive about an hour to Georgetown for our first night. We will then spend the next 6 nights in the Super 8 Motel at Silverthorne. We've stayed there in the past and usually paid about $80 per night - but this year it's $170 per night Shocked. Still, that includes breakfast. wink

We are allowed a maximum of 2 days in each resort, so will split our 6 days skiing between Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail and Beaver Creek. Driving times from Silverthorne will be about 10 minutes to Keystone, 20 minutes to Breck, 40 minutes to Vail and 50 minutes to Avon (car park for Beaver Creek shuttle bus).

We will definitely be skiing 2 days at Keystone, as that's our favourite area, and will play the other days "by ear" depending on the weather and road conditions. We love the mogul runs in the trees of the Outback at Keystone and spend all our time there. It really is incredible Very Happy. We are mindful that we will have to drive over Vail Pass on at least 2 days, to ski Vail and Beaver Creek, so will most likely do that early in the week in case the weather turns bad later and the pass is impassable.

Can't wait!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a fab time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did a season in Keystone with the Rookie Academy Ski Instructor training. Absolutely loved the tree skiing in the Outback. Could always guarantee to see very few people in there!
Spent the weekends in Breck at the Outdoor Education Centre volunteering. Never wanted to be an instructor just improve my skiing but I'd have paid good money for the sheer joy of skiing with the patrons at the BOEC. There can't be many times they've experienced a thick Sheffield accent out there lol. The Kiwi instructors used to call me Last of the Summer Wine Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brilliant, please provide an update once back
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perty wrote:
Have a fab time!

Thank you.

We hope you are continuing to make good progress with your injury.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowmadmum wrote:
Brilliant, please provide an update once back

Will do! Trip report and photos to follow Very Happy .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BackCountryBob wrote:
Did a season in Keystone with the Rookie Academy Ski Instructor training. Absolutely loved the tree skiing in the Outback. Could always guarantee to see very few people in there!

You are right! We are usually the only skiers on (mogul) runs like Timberwolf, The Grizz, Badger, Wolverine and Cat Dancer - all classics. They always have great snow, with consistent packed powder Very Happy .

And I see that this season they have opened a new chairlift, over the back, at Keystone Very Happy .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd use the Summit Stage rather than a car - gets you closer and no parking charges!
Breck has too many pinch points - stay high on the peaks to avoid the mid mountain queues. Not much variety but VERY high altitude watch for altitude sickness.
Vail back bowls are amazing in the right conditions. Almost infinite lines to take.
Beaver is great for groomers but only worth a day.
Copper is fabulous and less crowded but probably not on your pass.
We drove to Steamboat on a POW day and it was the best days skiing I've ever had. Chest high in places - above head height in others!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BackCountryBob wrote:
I'd use the Summit Stage rather than a car - gets you closer and no parking charges!
Breck has too many pinch points - stay high on the peaks to avoid the mid mountain queues. Not much variety but VERY high altitude watch for altitude sickness.
Vail back bowls are amazing in the right conditions. Almost infinite lines to take.
Beaver is great for groomers but only worth a day.
Copper is fabulous and less crowded but probably not on your pass.
We drove to Steamboat on a POW day and it was the best days skiing I've ever had. Chest high in places - above head height in others!!!

Thanks BCB. We have been a few times in the past and prefer driving as we like the flexibility. We usually park for free at the Airport Road(?) car park in Breck and the free parking in Keystone within walking distance of the Summit Stage bus stop at Keystone Village. And we will need the car for Vail and Beaver Creek. We love Blue Sky Basin at Vail and the Birds of Prey Runs at Beaver C Very Happy .

We park for free in West Vail then take the free shuttle to Lionshead or the bus station. And for Beaver Creek we park at Avon (now chargeable rolling eyes ) & take the free bus up the hill.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergmeister, Have fun , been a while since we were around those parts, always loved the outback Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. We can't wait! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bergmeister, sounds like a great. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had hoped to ski for 2.5 to 3 hours on day 7 of our trip before heading to Denver airport but lift pass prices are proving somewhat prohibitive. Last year, in January, we bought online tickets for Loveland for $78 per person per day (to ski in February). However, this season (unless I'm missing something) they are charging $120 (£100) online for a day ticket! A 54% price increase in 12 months, FFS!

That's stretching it somewhat for a couple of hours skiing so it looks like we will be visiting Denver instead. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister, Ouch !! but not surprising really - enjoy Denver, I'm sure its nice Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bones wrote:
Bergmeister, Ouch !! but not surprising really - enjoy Denver, I'm sure its nice Madeye-Smiley

I emailed Loveland to ask a) if there were any cheaper tickets; and b) why the 54% price rise in 12 months.

They replied to say:-
a) I could buy a day ticket for "only" $109 via a season pass holder, if I know any rolling eyes ; or we could buy $50 beginners tickets, covering only 1 lift (& 3 blue runs + a green run).
b) All ski areas have increased ticket prices this season rolling eyes .

We have decided to go for the $50 ticket, which isn't too bad (relatively speaking) for a couple of hours skiing. It's cheaper than Xscape wink. Hopefully the skiing will be a bit better than in a fridge, however.

Watch this space.

Trip report and photos to follow. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
They replied to say... we could buy $50 beginners tickets, covering only 1 lift (& 3 blue runs)
About 5 years ago, despite having a pass for the full area, Mrs MA and I had a cracking powder day at Loveland skiing only the runs off the one lift mentioned above.

We didn't move all day as the runs were deserted and the powder remained untouched. Not the steepest runs but great fun and certainly better than Xscape etc.
latest report
Quote:
We are allowed a maximum of 2 days in each resort.

? Puzzled
latest report
Quote:
We are allowed a maximum of 2 days in each resort Puzzled
It appears quite straightforward @abc. A season ticket for the 3 Vallees in France gets you six free days at the Vail Resorts in Colorado - but you can only ski a maximum of two days at each area.

Hence @Bergmeister's plan to split his six free ski days between Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail and Beaver Creek wink
ski holidays
I see. Thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy