Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whose fault?

Poster: A snowHead
Watch:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuA8LbZSsBUjg-c3RC7EuQ4Zxa_E3A?e=sM8moE

Whose fault?

Isn't this proof that "anyone below the skier has priority" is a bad rule? The front guy had no situational awareness and pulls a hard left and cuts up the back guy who was in the process of making a safe pass.

In my view the front guy is to blame. NehNeh

UPDATED:

Second video clip (different scenario involving instructor/student):

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuA8LbZSsBUjg-c5MF6I7IQddCBXsA?e=mxesjx

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-01-24 18:07; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back guy is at fault. Couldn't be more obvious.

OP please let me know where you ski so I can avoid that resort
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMV. The front guy is skiing with some lack of awareness - but the back guy is at fault for not anticipating what might happen. I think the back guy should have either slowed right down, or skied back behind the front guy towards the other side of the piste. I think he had time to react and give the D/Hill skier a wide berth.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
This.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back guy at fault. Always assume that the person in front may do something unpredictable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To me this is a perfect illustration that "anyone below the skier has priority" is a good rule.

The back guy has 50m of piste on the right to pass safely in, yet chooses to try and squeeze through a gap that might not exist soon. The guy in front is skiing a bit erratically, as he has every right to, as long as he doesn't endanger anyone in front of him.

100% fault of the guy at the back. He's made an appalling choose of line to take, when he has all the room in the world to pass safely.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yip. back guy a back bottom.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
red 27 wrote:
This.

+1
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Open and shut case - the person at the back.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pyramus wrote:

Isn't this proof that "anyone below the skier has priority" is a bad rule? The front guy had no situational awareness and pulls a hard left and cuts up the back guy who was in the process of making a safe pass.

I watched that carefully. It may be proof that the rule is a good rule. There are actually 3 rules in play, to quote from the FIS guidelines below and if they'd been applied there wouldn't have been this near incident.

That said, I would agree that the downhill skier should check behind before changing direction; but this isn't a rule and in this case he's moving at a good speed downhill not traversing across the piste at near right angles. I think closing the door at the edge of a piste is also bad practise; especially in this case where he's moving very fast himself and as you say with poor situational awareness. Ski school lines are a particuarl bugbear where you have 12 kids and an instructor strung out from one end of the slope to the other but they are generally slower moving. It's 2023, people are skiing faster, slopes are crowded due to fast lifts, some nuance needs to be applied to the rules.

=== the rules ===

Rule 2
Collisions usually happen because skiers or snowboarders are moving too fast, out of
control or have failed to see others. A skier or snowboarder must be able to stop, turn
and move within the ambit of his own vision

Rule 3
The skier or snowboarder in front has priority. The skier or snowboarder moving
behind another in the same direction must keep sufficient distance between himself
and the other skier or snowboarder so as to leave the preceding skier or
snowboarder enough space to make all his movements freely.

Rule 4
A skier or snowboarder who overtakes another is wholly responsible for completing
that manoeuvre in such a way to cause no difficulty to the skier or snowboarder being
overtaken. This responsibility rests with him until the overtaking manoeuvre has been
completed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can’t see why this would even be debated - rear guy at fault, simple as it gets unless of course you own the slope.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whose fault, or who’s at fault?

The guy at the back trying to overtake, because of the rule. Thats the rule and it’s easier for an uphill skier to avoid downhill skiers as people don’t tend to have eyes in the back of their heads. Better than demanding downhill skiers always look uphill rather than where they are going, excepting when setting off, imagine the carnage if that were the rule.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
I think closing the door at the edge of a piste is also bad practise; especially in this case where he's moving very fast himself and as you say with poor situational awareness.

Yep exactly..he was passing on the left edge of piste which in usual circumstances would be a safe pass. That is until the front guy did a Lewis Hamilton and totally shut the door without making any attempt to look, which to be fair to back guy is not would you would have expected with a wide piste to ski on. I don't think back guy deserves all the blame for this.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
imagine the carnage if that were the rule.

Imagine the carnage if when driving you didn't need to check your mirrors before pulling out or overtaking on the roads? I actually think the rule is too simplistic, it basically means anyone down the hill can do whatever crazy sh*t they want even if it's cutting straight across someone else's path, when it's too late for uphill skier to do anything about it. OK maybe this isn't best example but there will be others where it's much more blatant.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pyramus wrote:
I don't think back guy deserves all the blame for this.
You couldn’t be more wrong.
ski holidays
@Pyramus, funny, I haven’t seen too many wing mirrors on sale in the ski shops I frequent. In lieu of those the current rule is probably best and rules need to be simple, as they cannot cater to ever eventuality.
ski holidays
People are not cars and we don’t have mirrors. I wasn’t even aware it was a rule but even common sense tells me that the downhill person has priority as they won’t have eyes on the back of their heads.
latest report
puddingdo wrote:
People are not cars and we don’t have mirrors.

True, but God gave us necks. Laughing
snow report
@Pyramus, I think so far you are in a minority of 11:1 does that answer your original question sufficiently?
snow conditions
Ski lots wrote:
@Pyramus, I think so far you are in a minority of 11:1 does that answer your original question sufficiently?

Man I'm not skiing with you lot you'll cut everyone up royally. NehNeh
ski holidays
Result.
ski holidays
The back guy is at fault, obv
They are the only two on the piste and the chairlift is empty and not moving.
Wouldn’t surprise me to discover they know each other and are racing.
ski holidays
Hey Lead Guy, look first or don’t do that because it can result in someone behind you hitting you. Who cares if it’s their fault? You still got hit. We all need to look out for each other.

Hey Following Guy, do a better job of picking where and whom to pass. I’m pretty sure that upon seeing that dude I’d have given him a wide berth. That sort of action is common and predictable when the lay of the land is that way, often getting back to the lift near the bottom.
latest report
Result.
snow report
snow report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Hey Lead Guy, look first or don’t do that because it can result in someone behind you hitting you.

Amen, someone with some sense.
snow report
Rear skier could clearly have avoided collision - and is at fault.
snow conditions
The overtaking guy is at fault. Simples.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pyramus wrote:
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Hey Lead Guy, look first or don’t do that because it can result in someone behind you hitting you.

Amen, someone with some sense.
So the rest of us have no sense? Jeez!

These type of videos get posted on the forum occasionally, and this without doubt is the clearest case where the uphill skier was 100% responsible for the (non) collision. Sure, the guy downhill could have skied a bit more defensively, but it’s not his responsibility to do so, that rests in this case entirely with the uphill skier to avoid a collision on a wide and wide open piste in clear visibility. There’s just no doubt, no wiggle room as to which skier was in breach of the Skiers’ Code.
snow conditions
They’re clearly racing each other. If the bloke at the back isn’t good enough to avoid the one at the front then he should take more lessons.
latest report
@Pyramus, Fair play actually. I'm going to give you 7/10 for this. You've reeled in a very healthy net full, including myself. What appeared to be some pretty stinky bait has paid dividends.
snow report
Definitely blame the snowboarder
ski holidays
The thread title is doing my head in.
latest report
@Hurtle, I sympathise. Toofy Grin
latest report
@Hurtle, it hurts my eyes…
latest report
As an instructor once said to me, you have paid for your piste pass so you are entitled to use all the slope. If the bloke behind doesn't like that then it's his issue, not the guy in front, however frustrated he may feel.
snow conditions
Back guy obviously at fault.

Front guy probably gets hit a lot though.
ski holidays
Pyramus wrote:
Watch:

Who's fault?

The one who can see ahead of themselves
latest report
Pyramus wrote:

True, but God gave us necks. Laughing

People, especially beginners, cant be looking uphill at every turn initiation - it would probably result in more crashes esp on busy pistes.

I watched your video 4 times, and saw the same every time - it was obvious that the downhill skier was a bit unsure and not skiing "comfortably" so the uphill skier should have taken that into account, moderated their speed a smidge and then pass when the downhill skier had committed to a turn in one direction or the other.

It was an object lesson in why the uphill skier needs to take responsibility imv.
latest report
The uphill skier was more concerned with taking a little bit of air off the small roll (just before he clipped the skier in front of him), straightlining the piste to get enough speed to jump a few centimetres off the snow. As a result of this he was then heading towards a gap which was rapidly closing, rather than rolling in to a right turn into the acres of space he had on skier’s right. Fortunately the closing speed between the two skiers wasn’t very high, so the skier behind had just enough time to twist his skis and slow down a little, simply clipping the rear of the skis of the guy in front of him. Neither of them lost complete control, neither of them fell over, so you could say ‘no harm, no foul’ and hope a lesson is learned. But to claim this is an illustration of why the rule that the downhill skier has priority is not appropriate is simply bonkers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy