Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changing side edge angle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible to increase the side edge angle from 87 to 88 say? The reason I'm asking is that I have been skiing on 88 for a while. I demoed on a different pair of skis earlier this season and the side edge angle was set to 87 and I think I quite liked that. Granted they are different skis altogether (different length, different width etc) I'm just trying to see if I could experiment reducing my current skis side angle from 88 to 87 and if after a few weeks (or whenever I need to sharpen my edges again) I don't like it then I can change it to 88 ? Or can I only change the side angle after a base grind (similar to the base edge angle)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@freethemind, 87 to 88 is a decrease but I’m just being pedantic.

You could probably tell the difference between one ski and another ski and a well prepared edge rather than edge angle. Unless you are so good at skiing that you don’t need to ask the question then I doubt anyone could declare they wee on an 88 or 87 etc.

I couldn’t Tell the difference .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@freethemind, I understand what you're saying but you've got your angles the wrong way round. Going from 88 to 87 means that you're making the junction of the base edge and side edge more 'pointed' to give more bite/cut/grip in the snow so in ski tech parlance you're actually increasing the side edge:
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/terminology

And to do so on most skis you'll probably need to trim a bit off the sidewall first to create some clearance. Increasing the side edge angle to 87 is a good thing but you'll only get a benefit on hardpack/ice as on softer snow the whole sidewall of the ski engages in the snow.

Changing the side edge angle either way doesn't require a base grind but nobody reduces the side edge angle as that reduces grip and reduces the life of the edge as you're removing material unnecessarily.

How quickly the edge engages (ie how much you have to tip the ski up to engage the edge) is a function of the base edge angle. And the only way you can reduce the base edge angle is to first base grind the ski to flatten the base edge angle and then recut it as required.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy