Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler beginning March 2024?? Are we mad going?

Poster: A snowHead
Booked Whistler blackcomb last year for 2nd March 2024 for my 40th birthday present as a BUCKET LIST holiday. Coming from the UK and never been to Canada before.
Got epic passes already, flights and accommodation booked. Now it’s nearing and conditions look less than ideal. As advanced beginners should we lose £2k that we can’t get back and look elsewhere? If we go we are looking at probably another £5k ontop. Should we cut our losses now??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my opinion, no. How long are you going for? You’re not due to go for another 5ish weeks. A lot can change in that time. I would have thought anything in the alpine will be in relatively good condition? It’s not as if you’d be skiing Spankys or the Whistler bowl runs. Why don’t you ask the question in the North America / BC thread. I’m sure @stuarth would gladly help.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are whistler for a week and Vancouver for 3 days. I will do. Thanks @franga didn’t know there was a specific post.
Alpine had avalanche risk today. Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vodkaqueen wrote:
We are whistler for a week and Vancouver for 3 days. I will do. Thanks @franga didn’t know there was a specific post.
Alpine had avalanche risk today. Eh oh!

I'm by no means an expert but we have been to Whistler 4 times and spent a month there in March 2012 (the snowiest March on record) - if I remember correctly, that season hadn't got off to a great start either. You just never know. The fact that you also have Vancouver to visit should balance things out even if you don't have amazing conditions in resort. I would thoroughly recommend booking Araxi for a splash-out meal as a 40th celebration. Please let me know if you'd like any other recommendations (on both Whistler and Vancouver).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jeez. No, you're mad to think that way. It's already fine. I'll probably be there then, I've no idea what the weather will bring, but I've never been unable to ride there. No.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As advanced beginners you should love it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
phil_w wrote:
Jeez. No, you're mad to think that way.

Quite right. Advance beginners are less affected by natural snow either way. Go
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5 weeks is a long time. 2 weeks ago it was a polar vortex, this week it was raining...
I've not been skiing in Whistler for a few weeks, so can't update you on the current conditions, but it'll probably change again this week anyway - hopefully will be mostly heavy snow which will be good base for when you arrive snowHead Might be rain lower down, but really that is not a big deal as only the skiouts are low down.
Most intermediate terrain probably has decent coverage already.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are also going to Whistler on 4th March ... my 50th! We booked a year ago after couple of disappointing holidays to Italy and Bulgaria last year.... I'm sure we will have a great time either way, on countdown now! Very Happy At least we've avoided the school holidays...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Vodkaqueen, you need to take this stuff with a pinch of salt. I’ve been told by Vancouver residents that id be better taking my bike to Whistler rather than skis, only to find conditions which would be pretty good by European standards.

As franga suggests, definitely worth booking any celebratory dinners before you get out there because the restaurants do get booked up
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. We are more reassured now. Will get booking some restaurant now then. Hadn’t thought of that. Very Happy
This is a nice forum to have found.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Donna_W, Might see you out there. Where are you staying? We have an air bnb right by the blackcomb gondola
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Vodkaqueen, make sure you gi to Red Door bistro, it's fantastic - someone on here recommended it to me and we went back again it was so great. Very Happy

Also, not sure what you're doing about lessons - as kind of early intermediates we had max4 lessons, we'd not have ventured to some parts of the resort without the lessons, it was well worth the expense!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Vodkaqueen, I feel your pain - similar thing - I'm booked to go to Tahoe early March (been waiting years to go) and as you say conditions currently not looking as favourable as I would like - especially as we recently returned from a excellent weeks skiing in the 3 valleys. Everything I have booked currently (flights, car hire and accommodation) can be cancelled - but I would lose over £700 on the lift passes.
My view is - still a few weeks to go yet - and for me there will be plenty of other things to see and do.
An old saying - a bad day on the slopes is still better than a good day at work - it will be fine!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Vodkaqueen, we are staying at Crystal Lodge... maybe we will see you on the mountain! hopefully with plenty of snow Smile
snow report
@franga, did you hire skis? We have our own boots and wondering if better to hire in Vancouver and travel up with them on the bus as they seem cheaper rather than hire them in Whistler.
latest report
@Dippy, we’ve had a long weekend in Norway so far this year and that was OK.
snow report
@ElzP, did you do group lessons? I can’t get over how expensive the lessons are. $600 for one person private!!
We would love lessons just can’t afford those prices
snow conditions
Vodkaqueen wrote:
@franga, did you hire skis? We have our own boots and wondering if better to hire in Vancouver and travel up with them on the bus as they seem cheaper rather than hire them in Whistler.

Spicy Sports in Whistler (also has a branch in Blackcomb) is competitive with the cost of renting in the city & will likely have a better/more appropriate choice of skis. 6 day rental staring March 4th is $37/day - about half the cost of renting from the mountain - and a lot less faff than lugging skis up from the city. If you're renting generic beginners skis, it will cost only $27/day.

It's about a 5 minute walk from the gondola, next to the book store (and the central bus stop where the buses from the airport & city drop off) at Gateway Loop.
snow conditions
Btw other places worth a look for birthday-worth dining: Wild Blue, Alta Bistro. Quattro is fancy Italian & good for a splurgey meal too. Bar Oso is the more relaxed offshot of Araxi and is also excellent.

ETA: saw you have Epic passes already - with the passholder discount, a full day group lesson is C$255, which is tad less terrible. They are no longer Max 4 but in practice won't be any larger than 5-6. (If you are skipping lessons entire and really are advanced beginners, please start your ski day at the Olympic learners area and take the Olympic chair up once and ski that. If that's easy peasy, then get back on the gondola and go to the Emerald "Family Zone" area. Do Upper/Lower Whiskey Jack and Ego Bowl until you are comfortable with the steeper pitch on LWJ and then try Marmot. Once you're good with the short steep section there, then you're ready to try the gentlest blue - Green Acres. Only then would I go up to the alpine to try Burnt Stew - there are a couple of choke points that are unnerving. (Plus as with most cat track greens on the upper half of the mountain, there will be more advanced skiers bombing their way past you; sadly many will be very rude to you if you take up more than 1/3 of the track to turn to control your speed and literally shout at you for "unnecessarily" turning or just buzz past with only inches to spare.)

Just as an FYI for anyone who doesn't have passes purchased in advance: Although lift tickets purchased closer to the date of actual use stupidly expensive THEY ARE REFUNDABLE. This isn't the case for any of the season passes or WB/Epic "Day Pass" products - and it counts for a lot when Whistler has wild weather swings - perhaps this season makes it clear that the eyewatering day ticket price widely cited includes some very costly weather insurance, in practice.

Plus for anyone in the OP's situation who might be need of a bit more tuition, keep in mind the following: A 3 day lift ticket will cost you C$678 if purchased after the start of December - but 3 days of group lessons + a lift ticket is scarcely more at C$744. So the *combined* cost of lift ticket + lessons looks rather more reasonable & about the same as if you'd purchased an Epic Pass in time. (Still 2x as much as you might pay in Europe, of course....but not 5x more.)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 4-03-24 22:45; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
@Vodkaqueen, got the Max4 - https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/plan-your-trip/ski-and-ride-lessons/category/max4.aspx

As @AndreaC, if you do full day lessons you get pass discounts. It is expensive in general but you get your money's worth!

Edited to add - we were super honest about our experience (lack of!) and they matched us perfectly with our lesson buddies and a really fun instructor. So don't worry that you'll be 'stuck' in a group that doesn't suit.
snow report
@Vodkaqueen, I've opted for no lesson and taking our own ski's. The cost isn't too bad flying with BA compared to the cost to rent there, and we've got an 8 day epic pass so hire would have been a fortune!
snow report
Or fly AC, who carry skis for free in winter. But skis are also free on BA if you keep within the baggage limits.
snow report
@phil_w, I could take them FOC but like to take plenty of clothes.. Laughing and its only £130 return so not too bad
ski holidays
Quote:
I could take them FOC but like to take plenty of clothes...
You going there for ski slopes or catwalks
@Donna_W? wink 'Only' £130 indeed! Shocked

I manage for a fortnight no bother with only hand luggage (inc.ski boots and ski clothes) and a ski bag. Each to their own eh? (Though I can almost imagine some people I know hyperventilating at the thought of taking only one coat (ie a ski jacket) on a ski trip... Laughing)
latest report
@mountainaddict, wow, that’s travelling light! First time taking own skis and 2 x 23kg bags… girls need shoes you know! Ski boots not light! And yes 3 ski jackets.. Smile Laughing
ski holidays
Well I'm taking a Yorkshire Pudding tin out on my next trip, and it's still cabin baggage plus snowboard. Each to their own. The tin is a gift; long story.
ski holidays
Quote:
And yes 3 ski jackets...
Now that's what I call feeling the cold... wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Donna_W, one ski jacket, then another for when you throw poutine down the first, then another for when you throw beer all over yourself dancing during apres... reasonable I'd say! Laughing
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I could take them FOC but like to take plenty of clothes...
You going there for ski slopes or catwalks
@Donna_W? wink 'Only' £130 indeed! Shocked

I manage for a fortnight no bother with only hand luggage (inc.ski boots and ski clothes) and a ski bag. Each to their own eh? (Though I can almost imagine some people I know hyperventilating at the thought of taking only one coat (ie a ski jacket) on a ski trip... Laughing)

Same here, MA. Mrs B and I spend all day skiing so don't need as many wardrobe changes as Lady Gaga off the slopes. Like you, hand-luggage-only does the trick on our 14 night Transatlantic trips wink.
ski holidays
Donna_W wrote:
@mountainaddict, wow, that’s travelling light! First time taking own skis and 2 x 23kg bags… girls need shoes you know! Ski boots not light! And yes 3 ski jackets.. Smile Laughing

Over 7 stones of luggage! Seriously? Puzzled 1 pair of walking boots is enough for us for a couple of weeks in snowy streets Very Happy .

Agreed. Ski boots aren't light - but they go in our hand luggage. We've had delayed or lost check-in bags over 20 times over the years (especially flying long haul) so no longer risk our ski boots in hold luggage rolling eyes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy