Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wolf kill - Val d'isere

Poster: A snowHead
Spotted this Ibex carcass on the road up to pont st Charles (about 200m before the bridge), this morning.
I guess the wolf now has a full stomach.
The two rear haunches were completely missing - I assume dragged off to a lair.

There was also an eagle on rock nearby, waiting to pick it over.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Not an eagle.
Bearded vulture
I'll have a go at posting video of in flight
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting. Nature red in tooth and claw. Is an ibex also known as a bouquetin?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Origen, It is - Capra Ibex being its posh name.

@ajdetpwm, Now I know why the Bearded Vultures were not over La Daille this morning (though I did see and Aigle Royale on Pissaillas a couple of weeks ago.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ajdetpwm, saw a lammegeier over the Col Rachasses, Chamonix, last week only about 100 feet above us. Stunning. Hope he got some of your Woolf leftovers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or she….
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Or she….
Or they... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is a very clean kill site! Any other details? Not sure it met it's end there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps it ran away as fast and as far as its two legs could carry it......
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Klamm Franzer,
There was a fair bit of 'signs of a stuggle' and chase up and down a bank. As well as a bloodier area above the final resting point.
I've got some pics of that too - but not sure they will work well out of context, I'll review and will add in if they are any good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Around 2010 we had wolves above us on the northern side of the Valais. When they began to take alpage cows, the decision was taken to shoot at least one of the wolves. They indeed leave exactly the same remains when they take cows, and the farmers were getting pretty distraught about the pain and suffering of their animals as they died. The reintroduction of wolves was controversial in the American national parks, but interestingly led to a major shift in river ecology, since the browsing population was reduced and small trees were able to grow along the flood beds and river banks.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/wildlife/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting article about the Wolves in the Alps , over the border from Italy following reintroduction, and its effect of livestock etc . You’d be amazed how many sheep are killed per annum .

https://www.inrae.fr/en/news/wolves-and-livestock-farming-france-assessment-27-years-coexistence
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rob Mackley, Bloody hell

I had no idea

Put 10,000 in a field and that’s a lot of sheep. Basically 750 wolves and 12,000 dead - that’s 16 sheep a year - essentially 1 sheep a month per wolf.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, When walking in the summer in the Haute Tarentaise you regularly come across warning signs where sheep are grazing because the sheepdogs are now so huge and vicious. They are trained to guard rather than round up .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rob Mackley, …and the article suggests MTB riders are part of the wolf food plan. Gulp. I need to look behind a bit more when we are out in the wild in the Jura.
ski holidays
I haven't read your articles but will do later.

This one might be of interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/27/a-wolf-killed-the-eu-presidents-precious-pony-then-the-fight-to-catch-the-predator-began?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
snow conditions
Many years ago I was skiing well off piste with a Top Ski guide. We came across the hind leg of a chamois lying near the rest of the carcass. He put it in his rucksack and took it home for supper.
snow conditions
Assuming that's not an occult gift to the afterlife, it's great to see wolf populations rebounding in Western Europe.

Majestic animals. Very smart.

Wolves have accelerated their evolution in the past 5 decades, and are learning to coexist with (and outsmart) humans.
snow report
A wolf was seen yesterday evening in La Daille by the Funival!
ski holidays
These things are pretty scary and are there to protect sheep etc . . . . . think I would prefer to walk/ski/cycle past a wolf. Seen them a few times in the mountains and you give their flock a wide berth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrenean_Mountain_Dog
ski holidays
Anyone else remember this?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy