Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Alta Badia / Santa Croce for nervous middle age beginner.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It’s our second trip to Corvara this year in half term with the kids.
While the kids are in ski school my husband and I were thinking of going from Corvara to Santa Croce.
My husband is a good skier I am not!
Last year I just about managed the blue 8 down from La Baits hut.
Does anyone know what these runs are like for someone still in a slow snow plough Santa Croce (52 and 53)
La Villa to Badia (25 and 27)
Down from the plateau to la Villa (15)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Susietheo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

None of those pistes are, in isolation, particularly tough or scary, unless conditions are difficult.
However, if you’re still in slow snowplough, that could be a challenging and tiring day trip. Especially as pistes are likely to be busy in February.

Have you thought about a lesson or two yourself, early in the week? Then if you were linking turns confidently, with only occasional snow plough, it would be a much more enjoyable and far less tiring experience.

Snowploughing is very hard on the leg muscles!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks plan to head over that way mid way through our week after some more lessons. At the worse I can always send my husband back over the plateau and hop on a bus back to Corvara.

Is red 27 down to Badia an easy red?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Susietheo,
Blue 15 turns into 24. The 15 bit is great, but the 24, especially if you take no speed into it, wlee it's very flat and lots of pole pushing needed, and then there is a steep red bit at the end. You can download on the Gondola.

27 red down to the Horizontal chair isn't a hard red at all.

The Blues at Santa Croce: Top to mid station is perfect for you, lap it. The bottom half has a steeper blue section on it. You must do all of the blues down to San Cassiano, they would be heaven to you.

As above, a lesson to get you away from Snowplough's would be a top idea
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Santa Croce runs are perfect for a beginner. Nice slopes, in the sun, usually mostly deserted (everyone's in the rifugios).

Not sure which one is red 25 or 27. I only know the names.

If the Gran Risa red (ie the red that goes down to the right of the black) is too much then there is the blue run that goes from bottom of Bamby lift down to La Villa. I think the run might be callled Bamby too. You'll want to keep a bit or speed else it's a lot of poling though.

Sponata is probably the worst bit on the way to Santa Croce. Just one possibly icy corner.

Coming back from Santa Croce back towards Alta Badia is much easier
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Santa Croce is beautiful, and I think and hope you will love it. It is a peaceful idyll of a ski area
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Susietheo, exactly what andy and sev112 have said. It's one of my favourite places in the region, I do hope you get there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The red sponata run, down to the horizontal chair, is quite steep in the section before it crosses the bridge to the Badia lift. Might prove tricky to a non confident snow plougher. Alternatively you can catch the bus to the Sompunt bus stop, then ski over the bridge to the chair.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy wrote:
The Santa Croce runs are perfect for a beginner. Nice slopes, in the sun, usually mostly deserted (everyone's in the rifugios).

Not sure which one is red 25 or 27. I only know the names.

If the Gran Risa red (ie the red that goes down to the right of the black) is too much then there is the blue run that goes from bottom of Bamby lift down to La Villa. I think the run might be callled Bamby too. You'll want to keep a bit or speed else it's a lot of poling though.

Sponata is probably the worst bit on the way to Santa Croce. Just one possibly icy corner.

Coming back from Santa Croce back towards Alta Badia is much easier

A snowplougher will certainly struggle on the red 17 (Altin , Gran Risa is the black) down to La Villa and even the blue from below bamby lift joins that red with several steep black gradient pitches to get down …

I would ski down blue 15 to the bamby lift , go up and download the gran Risa lift.

Think you should be OK on red 27, I took a snowplougher from San Cassiano to Santa Croce and we went down that last year and although she cursed me - she enjoyed Santa Croce !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I really like the top twisty bit of 15 through trees off Roby that you miss coming from Braia Fraida. You have to do the steepest bit of 14 then take a left onto the flat boring bit of 15, but hey ho, that is the route from Corvara. I agree, I would not recommend 24 to 17, very flat then steep. I’d also advise taking Bamby and download on the gondola in your shoes. Although 17 does take you to the right end of the car park for the next lift. If you download, you’ll be walking across.

25 is definitely steeper than the earlier blues. 27 coming back is short before you can switch onto the curving blue.

I’d recommend the runs off Pralongia 2: 9, 21B, 33 and 34 for straightforward blues in the area. 9 is about 5kms long.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you we went last year and l loved runs 9 and 11 and I just about managed 8 from baita hut. So was hop on I may make a tiny bit of improvement this year though I am slow learner.

I see how my week goes but am now so keen for Santa Croce even if maybe means a bus from Corvara to Badia and then skiing back.

On the wag back to Corvara rather than going down 8, I know there is Arlara 5 as an option too,

If coming down from Col Alt what is the blue Col Alt 4.5 like? The map seems to suggest you can go down the start of 4.5 then switch on to 5, does this then miss the steeper bit at the start of 5?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy