Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The London Ski Jumping Competition, 1951

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Retro Ski is pleased and proud of presenting The London Ski Jumping Competition, 1951, an article by Sir George Pollock, father of
easyski, who was the Captain of the Cambridge Ski Jumping Team at that event.

If you want to read history written by one of it´s protagonists, just click on the picture bellow:

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Amazing. I live by Hampstead Heath but cannot identify where it was. Any ideas?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pedro maia, I'll forward this to my Dad - he'll be chuffed you've put it on Snowheads! He was very pleased to receive your email by the way. Thank you. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, I already sent an e-mail to your father saying that the article is published and also that I presented it at snowheads (and he answered it already), I´m really glad for this article and I hope to get more contributions not only from your father but also from other people.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fascinating...thank you very much to both of you for bringing this event to us.

Incredible to read that they had a crowd of 100,000 (yes you did read that right!). With today's modern lifestyle, TV etc, there would be absolutely zero chance of getting 25% of that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to see historical video of that Hampstead Heath event, go to the Pathe News website (their newsreels were all digitised through a National Lottery grant):

http://www.britishpathe.com/product_display.php?searchword=Hampstead+ski+jump&Search.x=26&Search.y=29

David, I guess the event was held on Parliament Hill. There used to be some quite big grass-skiing events there about 35 years ago.

I think a big ski jumping event was also held at Wembley Stadium in the early 1950s. I met a man called David Ross years ago, who was involved in setting up these events. I think he imported the snow from Norway. He used to publish the excellent Volvo ski resort guides.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, Thanks a lot for the tip, I´ll try to add the video to the article.

There´s picture of the Wembley ski jumping event at Tim Ashburner´s book «The History of Ski Jumping».
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, My dad thinks the Wembley one was 1960, but he didn't know anything about it at the time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After a little research I found this picture which is supposed to be from the Wembley competition, is from 1956 and shows a swedish jumper.

Unfortunately at this picture the stadium cant´be seen.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pedro maia, hey, I've drunk a lot of wine tonight, and I've forgiven your football team. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The video was added to the article.

laundryman Was it portuguese wine Very Happy ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy