Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Test / Reviews 2024 / 2025 skis

Poster: A snowHead
Here at a very wet SIGB ski test in La Clusaz and this afternoon I was walking around trying to determine out of the 650 odd skis which to test.

On the drive up I had an idea and that was to test the classic popular All Mountain skis that have been around year after year but have been continually updated etc

So my list of contenders are in no particular order

Atomic Bent
Salomon QST
Salomon Stance
Dynastar ECross
Rossi Soul
Mantra
Kastle MX84 88
Volkl Deacon
Nordica Enforcer
Elan Ripstick
K2 Mindbender

And new kid on the block replacing Bonafides

Blizzard Anomaly

Anything else?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-01-24 9:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
any Decathlon own-brand stuff in there? I recently bought Patrol 95 skis for Mrs NBT and myself (165 for her, 175 for me), it would be interesting to see how you rate them against other skis - especially given the price, we paid €300 per pair including bindings.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, get yourself on the Salomon QST 106 Echo that came out this season. Same great shape as the regular QST 106 but they've taken a lot of weight out of it to get it down to 1700g per ski in 181cm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, be good to know what you think of the Blizzard Hustle 9 touring skis. They're a new model this year, get great reviews (Fall Line Touring Ski of the Year) and they seemed to be available at big discounts in lots of outlets.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fall Line ski test rates the Salomon Addikt pro.
I’ve never really been in a position financially where I could consider a brand new ski, but at the end of this season I might actually be able to do that.
So for the first time ever I have seriously started reading some reviews.
Is this ski on your radar?

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, any Black Crows available, or are they too small a brand to be in the test?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perty wrote:
@Weathercam, any Black Crows available, or are they too small a brand to be in the test?

I've just ordered some Mirus Cor in 184 because @Ravensburger and @Grinning told me to. But I'd still be interested to know how they ski if you size down. I was debating sizing down for moguls and general manoeuvrability, but wasn't sure if they might be overpowered easily on ice/firm...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Volkl Deacon 80 vs. Deacon 76? I'd be very interested in a comparison between the two. The 76 is great for big turns on hardpack but how much does it lose out to the 80 for ease of handling in crud and heavy new snow?

I find the 80 very manageable in poor conditions but it is nowhere near as impressive on hardpack/ice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scott Pure AM 92 ti
Scott Pure free 90 ti
Blizzard Hustle 9
Volkl Blaze 94
Salomon QST 92
Armada Declivity 88c

Is there an alternative to the Scott Slight 93?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scott really only have their all new SEA ski though now sitting on my van is a pair of 100 Pure Tour

Currently going up with 2025 Ripstick 96

Last year I tested the Mirrus Core and they were great!

https://www.stylealtitude.com/best-all-mountain-skis-2023-2024.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, bit meaningless, to th eextent you aren't me and don't ski like I do, but interesting to hear if you like the Blizzard Anomalys.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
Scott really only have their all new SEA ski though now sitting on my van is a pair of 100 Pure Tour

Currently going up with 2025 Ripstick 96

Last year I tested the Mirrus Core and they were great!

https://www.stylealtitude.com/best-all-mountain-skis-2023-2024.html

Interesting, so this carve gizmo measures what your feet are up to whilst skiing different skis? Guessing 'pressure' is measuring how much of your weight you're putting into the edge? As in edge hold? Assuming 'edging' is the ease of getting onto edge?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now on the Scott SEA 98

Ski Everything Anywhere

Conditions ideal for testing All Mountain freshies up top, piste below
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scott SEA loads of fun, and good on the piste too

Now then of Blizzard Anomaly 94
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Thomasski, I’m using them in 178, I’m a strong skier 85kg, 5’10” and they’re super playful but if I bought a pair then I’d definitely size up 184.

Centrally after we’d been talking about the MCs mounted with Shifts I saw a pair in Les Brévières: a Scotsman on UCPA vacation - he loved them and also said they might be a bit skittish when charging on real hard pack - I took a photo of them Eh oh!
ski holidays

latest report
Grinning wrote:
@Thomasski, I’m using them in 178, I’m a strong skier 85kg, 5’10” and they’re super playful but if I bought a pair then I’d definitely size up 184.

Centrally after we’d been talking about the MCs mounted with Shifts I saw a pair in Les Brévières: a Scotsman on UCPA vacation - he loved them and also said they might be a bit skittish when charging on real hard pack - I took a photo of them Eh oh!

Lovely, I'm 96kg (should be 85kg Sad ) and 191cm so sizing down would have probably been disappointing. Putting Strive 16s on mine.

@Weathercam, I know it's outside the scope of your testing... But are you able to have a play on the Fischer Transalp 98 CTI?
ski holidays
@Skeet, My husband has Volkl Deacons in both a 74 and 80.
Today’s conditions were choppy, it had snowed about 15cm during the evening but had stopped before the piste bashers came in at 2330. He skied the 80’s today all on piste and never regretted it.
The 74 are definitely for charging on piste
Normally he would have taken out his Bonafides but our son is skiing them at the moment as he’s wrecked his QST’s rolling eyes

For reference he’s 6’1 and 100kg and a very strong skier.
latest report
@muppet, Thanks, that confirms my experience. I have no qualms about the 80s in soft and crud - they're excellent, however, they're not brilliant at speed on icy hardpack. I did like the 74s on hardpack (my only experience of them).

What I'm keen to understand is how manageable the new 76 is in soft and crud, in comparison to the 80.
snow conditions
Grinning wrote:

Shifts on the Mirus Cor?? Was a lovely ski when I tried it but not too sure it would be good for touring
snow conditions
Well that was an interesting few days, had all snow conditions, untracked cold snow through to slush, however, that does affect ones' idea of how good a ski is, that said the majority of AMS ski powder well, and it's how they ski the piste that is probably more important in this category and some can certainly do that well!

What was amusing was that, on the second to last run we went up in the cabin with the guy from Elan who was on a very good-looking pair of skis and they were a Freestyle ski and were classed as fun - the name was actually Playmaker 101

Mr Elan went on to explain the heritage behind them, i.e the Ripstick but more fun / easier to ski - so for my last run of the test I skied those, and came back with a huge smile on my face.

I've just been looking at some reviews and came across this quote.

“it’s like a Ripstick 96 meets a Ripstick Tour 104, but the meeting took place at X Games.”

More here https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2024-elan-playmaker-101-ski-review

And they now really have me thinking, maybe we're too focused on performance, as in All Mountain Skis, at the expense of just having fun, and next years test I think the it will be Old Farts do Freestyle skis.

And as a postscript last year as I mentioned I skied the Mirrus Core, and no change for them this season, and they too really made me smile and I enjoyed skiing them, along with the Scott SEA so maybe that's where it should be, "fun" ?

Should also add that staying in our hotel were the guys from Ski Mojo and I sort of explained that whilst I have major knee issues I'm still very fit, so they went out of their way to get me completely battered (bed at 02:00) and then ski the Mojo next day, and what a brilliant hangover tool, legs were fresh at the end of the day as per the start, the day before, and with them, to really test, I was skiing non-stop circa 5km 1200m vertical each run, pretty hard, very impressed, will do more of a write up later.
snow report
I hated the Ripstick 96’s when I tested them; way too flappy for my taste.
snow report
@Skeet, Husband if of the same opinion the 80’s he just can’t get the speed.
He skied the 74’s for 2 runs this morning and swapped them for the 80’s and he had much more grip on the icy pistes in the shade.
I had edged and waxed the 74’s last night so that was definitely not the problem.

Some new Black Crow Justices are due to arrive in the next day or so rolling eyes
ski holidays
Thomasski wrote:
Perty wrote:

I've just ordered some Mirus Cor in 184 because @Ravensburger and @Grinning told me to. But I'd still be interested to know how they ski if you size down. I was debating sizing down for moguls and general manoeuvrability, but wasn't sure if they might be overpowered easily on ice/firm...

+1 on Mirus Cor in 178 - need to know b4 I splurge!
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
Thomasski wrote:
Perty wrote:

+1 on Mirus Cor in 178 - need to know b4 I splurge!

Over the course of many late-night trawls, I read/heard (can't remember if video or written) a few accounts of people around my size who said they felt the 178 felt less dynamic for them - not as much of a playful pop and that the 184 didn't feel any bigger physically.

I took the plunge on Monday night, and the 184s are out of evri's hands and with my neighbour as we speak...
latest report
@Thomasski, Good deal?
snow conditions
It's an ok deal, this season's skis plus bindings (that I don't want) for £720.
So I think I'll sell the bindings and it'll make the outlay a bit more palatable!
latest report
@Thomasski, Thats pretty good - local or website and what bindings?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowleader! They come default with Stage 11 bindings which I'll be swapping for Strive 16. Strive bindings are coming from Jon with QK inserts...
latest report
BertieG wrote:
Scott Pure AM 92 ti
Scott Pure free 90 ti
Blizzard Hustle 9
Volkl Blaze 94
Salomon QST 92
Armada Declivity 88c

Is there an alternative to the Scott Slight 93?

We tested the Scott Pure Free 92 and the Scott Pure AM 92 and the new SEA. The Pure AM for us was a better scoring ski as its more versatile for those wanting to do some short touring trips, or can be run as an all-mountain ripper. More forgiving than the Mission Pure 98 we felt, which for us was a good thing. The SEA is a very very nice ski, came 2nd in my list of 30 odd skis I tested, buttery smooth, still agile, really is a one-quiver ski and its width doesnt restrict it to freeriders only, its a very nice and rewarding all mountain ski.

I hope that helps

Scott
snow conditions
@scottydog, The Scott Sea 98 was a cracking ski, would've won my "One-Ski Quiver" test last year if it had been around then!

https://www.stylealtitude.com/all-mountain-skis-review-2024.html
snow conditions
The Slight was notable for being light weight, lively and quick edge to edge especially in short radius turns. It is not a damp charger and though fun in fresh snow not particularly floaty. Are any of the above similar?
ski holidays
BertieG wrote:
The Slight was notable for being light weight, lively and quick edge to edge especially in short radius turns. It is not a damp charger and though fun in fresh snow not particularly floaty. Are any of the above similar?

The Pure AM 92 comes out of the Slight mould so very similar! Main difference is that the Pure AM has a stiffer tip so less ‘flappy’ at speed on hard packed piste.
snow report
@BertieG, I ski the Slight every now and again as I have a pair in the garage, but they are not in the same league as the SEA.

I've now done my review of the SEA

https://stylealtitude.com/scott-sea-skis-98-108-review.html

Now need to collate all the other skis I tested, and we then have probably another big test weekend after next, but with current conditions not looking too good Sad
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Here at a very wet SIGB ski test in La Clusaz and this afternoon I was walking around trying to determine out of the 650 odd skis which to test.

On the drive up I had an idea and that was to test the classic popular All Mountain skis that have been around year after year but have been continually updated etc

So my list of contenders are in no particular order

Atomic Bent
Salomon QST
Salomon Stance
Dynastar ECross
Rossi Soul
Mantra
Kastle MX84 88
Volkl Deacon
Nordica Enforcer
Elan Ripstick
K2 Mindbender

And new kid on the block replacing Bonafides

Blizzard Anomaly

Anything else?
snow report
@Weathercam, great review, thanks.@marky, Interesting, being a lightweight I’ve found the Slights to be pretty stiff and never seen the tips flap so may not be an improvement for me.
ski holidays
@scottydog, what came first?
ski holidays
@BertieG, ironically the last few days I've been using my old faithful 7 year old BlackCrows Atris (trips to Siberia /Japan) with my Alpine boots as opposed to state of the art rando kit (Scott Pure Tour 100 & Freetour 105) in this fresh snow (off-piste) which below 1900m is patella tearing porridge and the difference is staggering, maybe I should take the Sleight's out to see what they're like?
snow report
Pretty skis
snow report
@Weathercam, I have been skiing off piste in similar conditions (snowing every day)in PSV this last week on the Slights, apart from one day when it was particularly heavy and I rented some Rustler 102s which gave a marginal improvement in float for a small loss in manoeuvrability. I left the bindings for my powder skis at home Eh oh! . The Slights can ski anything but have been hard work in some of the heaviest snow. In some particularly wet snow I sank to my thighs coming to a halt! The sun is out this morning and it sounds like a war zone up the mountain so fingers crossed we will have a good day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy