Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TUI hand luggage and ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
I'm flying with TUI next weekend (a first - we usually go EasyJet/Ryan Air), and their handluggage dimensions are smaller than any ski boot bag I can see online.

I've taken ski boots as handluggage many times, but it seems they're going to be too wide for TUI. Does anyone have any words of wisdom about how strict TUI are with hand luggage dimensions? (flying from BHX)

I guess I'll probably end up putting them in my luggage, but I'd always rather have them with me if possible. Would be interested to know what other people's experiences have been...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It really depends on the check in staff.

But I use this bag and have no problems https://www.glideslide.co.uk/ski-equipment/luggage/2024-head-rebels-ski-boot-bag-carry-on__21301?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=383923&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JTenLrwgwMVFpVQBh2-swH7EAQYCyABEgIB4vD_BwE
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not particularly helpful but we had a young chap on our EasyJet flight to Geneva a few weeks ago wearing his ski boots along with helmet, goggles, jacket and ski trousers. Only thing missing was skis and poles.

I’m not sure how he got away with it as surely there’s a safety aspect to wearing ski boots on a flight if there was ever the need to evacuate.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bigtuboflard wrote:
Not particularly helpful but we had a young chap on our EasyJet flight to Geneva a few weeks ago wearing his ski boots along with helmet, goggles, jacket and ski trousers. Only thing missing was skis and poles.

I’m not sure how he got away with it as surely there’s a safety aspect to wearing ski boots on a flight if there was ever the need to evacuate.

that is ridiculous, and presumably pretty uncomfortable to trudge through an airport in them.

back to OP, I fly with the two cabin bag option, and can fit one boot and helmet in a "ryan air compatible" wheely case and the other boot in a compliant under seat rucksack and then pack everything else I need in and around them for long weekend trip (and probably for a week trip too - with a bit of washing stuff in the shower / dry on radiator behaviour)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went TUI last year booked through Crystal and took this as hand luggage with no issues, permitted dimensions may differ on how it is booked though.

https://www.snokart.com/products/boot-and-helmet-pack
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From the Tui website:
Quote:
You can take 1 piece of hand luggage per person (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg and with maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm on a TUI Airways flight.

That may be smaller than boot bag dimensions but there are loads of cheap rucksacks and trolley suitcases that fit the bill.

IIRC, the Tui allowance is similar to Jet2, as well as non-budget airlines like BA etc and is surely big enough to accommodate most ski boots? What size are yours @WoottonBecs?

My mondo 26.5s fit into the even smaller-sized easyjet free hand luggage allowance of 45 x 36 x 20 cm Very Happy (Together with ski trousers, ski socks, ski polo, gloves and goggles wink )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We went TUI last year booked through Crystal and took this as hand luggage with no issues, permitted dimensions may differ on how it is booked though.

https://www.snokart.com/products/boot-and-helmet-pack

We're going through Crystal. I can find any number of bags that are 24cm deep like this one (and significantly under the other measurements). In fact my current boot bag may well be this dimension... But sod's law says they pull us up on it at the gate, as it wouldn't fit in a thing that was only 20cm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take the risk, pay the extra if they pull you up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

That may be smaller than boot bag dimensions but there are loads of cheap rucksacks and trolley suitcases that fit the bill.

IIRC, the Tui allowance is similar to Jet2, as well as non-budget airlines like BA etc and is surely big enough to accommodate most ski boots? What size are yours @WoottonBecs?

My mondo 26.5s fit into the even smaller-sized easyjet free hand luggage allowance of 45 x 36 x 20 cm (Together with ski trousers, ski socks, ski polo, gloves and goggles )

Wow - I'm impressed you can get all that into a tiny bag! (although I'm guessing everything apart from the trousers was stuffed in the boots)
You make a very good point though - I'll just get some 'normal' hand luggage and put my boots in that. My 'hand luggage' case is deeper than 20cm (bought before all the airlines shrunk their allowance) so it's definitely no good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Take the risk, pay the extra if they pull you up.

I'm not sure I want to take the risk x 2 bags and 2 journeys - that's potentially 4 lots of fines, which I can avoid by using the right size bag... (or just packing my boots in my main bag if needs be).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I'm impressed you can get all that into a tiny bag! (although I'm guessing everything apart from the trousers was stuffed in the boots)
Nope! Laughing My ski boots contain underwear, socks, wooly hat, phone charger, sunglasses and travel adaptor. The ski polo and a spare T-shirt go down the sides of the bag; gloves go at the bottom of the bag (under the boots); and ski trousers go down the front of the bag - taking it right up to to the 20cm depth when folded in half. Goggles, plus clear bag of toiletries and sometimes a novel, go on top of the boots. All a bit of squeeze but it does all fit! I carry my helmet separately and (touch wood!) have never had an issue with that with any airline.

The bag in question is a Decathlon ski-boot rucksack. I bought it in France years ago and it just happens to fit the easyjet free hand luggage dimensions Smile

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We flew with TUI to Toulouse in January. My wife's case was delayed by 3 days forcing us to hire boots and buy a helmet, knee brace and other essentials. Tui have been very avoidant of paying us compensation, giving us the run around and misdirecting me whenever I called. Their current position is that they will pay a maximum of £75, which would leave us substantially out of pocket. Tempted to start rocking up to check in fully kitted for the slopes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ColB - that's exactly why I like to take my boots in my hand luggage!

We bought some nice square rucksack-style bags which fit the EasyJet and Jet2 (and TUI) dimensions, so will get plenty of use out of them I'm sure.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bigtuboflard wrote:

Yep, I've done that! Well the ski boots bit anyway. I was pulled up at the gate at Liverpool last year by someone holding a card machine ready! My handluggage was oversize (I'd probably done 20-30 Easyjet flights with same bag) so I suggested I took my ski boots out and wore them. They had no issue with it and it saved me sixty five quid. Had they checked my carry-on at check-in then I would easily have been able to get below the dimensions but no mention of it until the gate where they held you to ransom with the card machine. I doubt the captain would have agreed from a safety perspective had they known and as soon as I was on board I just changed back to trainers.

But back on track - look at cabin-max bags on Amazon. I get my 27.5 boots in one of those rucsacs quite easily (head to toe rather than side by side) and it complies with easyjet dimensions so presume also TUI.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never had an issue with Crystal/TUI - I use a Snokart Cabin Boot Bag/Backpack and have for years - I used a small suitcase to travel RyanAir earlier this year as the bag was too big for them, and I never travel without my boots physically with me as my feet are FUBAR and boots are custom from CEM and whilst everything else can be replaced these can't!
I also have to say I don't volunteer the bag at check-in either wink
snow report
We flew TUI Manchester to Turin a couple of weeks ago. There were people with all shapes and sizes of hand luggage and no checks whatsoever as far as I could see. They seemed to be pretty laid back to be fair.
If they complain at check-in, as long as the the combined weight of luggage for your entire party doesn't exceed the 20kg each then they won't charge to check in another bag.
ski holidays
bigtuboflard wrote:

I remember when somebody on here was questioned on the safety aspect and said they would happily challenge the fattest person on the plane to a race and would be confident that they could beat them in ski boots! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy