Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never again

Poster: A snowHead
I thought I'd start a thread to go with the 'Favourite Resorts' thread. Are there any resorts that you'd never go to again?

All the places I've been to I'd happily go to again...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
me too- but Pralognan can be skied in under an hour if youre good, so i prob wouldnt go there again!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoppo, me too, although I probably won't go to Whistler again, too far, and too expensive. I'd be happy to go to all our previous resprts in the right circumstances though. Even ugly old Flaine had great skiing and gorgeous views. Although not my favourite place, I'd love to go to Banff/Lake Louise again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glencoe
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
la Rosiere wink Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nope - happily go back anywhere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, Does this mean the 17th Feb is off. wink

Kaprun: Lovely place but by the time you have clipped on your skis an hour has passed by since you left the hotel. Lots of bus and gondola travel to reach the skiing. The stuff around the village is very low and often has no snow. Buses are nightmare with little ones as is ther 2 gondola queues to get to the high skiing. Myself and similarly large mate totally flipped one day . We were next to the bus door and the kids nearly got crushed before the doors opened. I reckon we offered out a crowd of 150 Germans and Austrians. The smart money was on us. Neighbouring Zell am Zee was very nice but IMHO a bit limited unless you have a couple of trips to Salbaach.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I liked Andorra, but I wouldn't go back as there isn't enough challenging skiing, other than that there's nowhere I wouldn't go back to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only one I'd be wary of so far is Sauze d'Oulx, after a week spoilt by crap conditions it would either have to be a cheap week or last minute.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't bother going back to Kapaonik.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Enjoyed every holiday I have been on but there are some places I would treat with caution because of their snow record.

A few places where I would choose a different place to stay for the same area. Les Arcs 1800 felt very claustrophobic to stay in but the skiing was excellent. Tignes rather than Val d'I. and I would avoid Meribel; too British and the worst skiing in the area all at an exorbitant price.

On a short day trip to Flachau it seemed irredemably dull as a ski area and crowded to boot.

Probably won't return to USA till the kids have left school due to expense and journey times/jet lag.

Not exactly never again for any of them but with the opportunities elsewhere I don't see any reason to return. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
la tania. well it was new year week but Meribel was sheet ice and full of screaming kids and skiiers who thought that they could ski wherever they wanted. and it cost a *lot* of money. iF I never go back to the three valleys I won't be upset, there are a lot of great resorts out there

beer is great
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didin't rate Courchevel: the ski area gave the impression of being small (though I know it isn't) and the on-piste skiing was quite pedestrian (couldn't vouch for off-piste). The resort has a poor selection of non-skiing activities/restaurants/bars/shops compared to other places I've been. It's expensive, both on and off the mountain. I appreciate why it appeals to the 'high net worth individual', but fail to see why the hoi polloi like it so much - it really has nothing to offer us other than tedious celebrity-watching.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aviemore (for skiing - I'd go walking there any time). I won't go summer skiing in Zermatt again unless I win the lottery (and probably not anywhere else); an astonsihingly expensive, damp and dull morning's skiing, although with fantastic views.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Breckenridge...too big, too over-rated, too many Brits, and too far Laughing
snow report
ski, and too high (I enjoyed it, 'though I doubt I'll go back).
ski holidays
Mount Ober.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, dis-mount under.

oops! wrong thread Laughing
snow conditions
Valmorel "Disney on Snow" Great for the kids, but less so for adults. It suited us at the time but won't suit in future.
latest report
La Plagne - pistes are too flat, and no atmosphere.
latest report
ski beat me to it - Breckenridge. Nothing particularly objectionable, but nothing much of great interest to make me want to go there again. If I needed to be there for some other reason I'd not object to skiing there, but I'd not make a special trip. BTW, I didn't find much to object to about la Tania, and there was some rather nice off piste off the top of Col de la Loze, although having only one route in and out got a bit tedious towards the end of the week. Some really nice gentle skiing on the way down from there to Courchevel though.
latest report
Milton Keynes.
snow report
Benidorm snowHead
latest report
Montgenevre - very tedious place, no nice bars that I can remember, truly dreadful Crystal chalet
La Rosiere - hardly an undiscovered gem anymore is it?? Characterised by Pilsbury dough boy in red braces loudly blowing a trumpet...
Finkenberg - very dull - best seen from the bus on the way up to Hintertux from Mayrhofen
Tunisia - not a skiing place I know, but have vowed never to return, really put off by the unfriendly 'welcome' including machine gun toting guards and large piles of building materials all across the airport, the hawkers and beggars on the beach, and being locked into a tourists-only hotel at night for safety reasons rolling eyes
ski holidays
Andorra....but only because we've been six times already!!

Megeve....too many queues and too many mink coats!

That said, if I won a trip to either of those places I'd go like a shot!!! Very Happy
snow report
Schladming - got quite bored with the sameyness of it all. Though again, if I won a trip....
latest report
Pal/Arisnal. Ugly town, terrible skiing.
snow report
Blitzen, couldn't agree more about Tunisia. We got camelknapped! Bloke put myself and siblings on camel, told parents he would walk down the beach a bit with us and to take pictures and promptly led us off through a river and disappeared into a shanty town. Parents tried to follow but couldn't get through the river (only passable by camel!), they called the police who didn't care and I finally managed to convince him to take us back as my parents would pay him. It was the only time I saw my Mum punch someone! I also got groped in a market which was a bit traumatic for a 14 year old.

On a skiing note, Alagna might be famed for off-piste but the on-piste is rubbish and to describe the town as sleepy would be an understatement. As for the hotel and food - I've never been so relieved to see a McDonalds once we were back in civilisation and I have to be pretty desperate to eat one of those.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I actually think the pistes above Alagna are quite nice, although hayley t ought to have a word with whoever hoodwinked her into going there for a piste-based holiday

My vote goes for Meribel - boring skiing, too many people (many of whom are irritating) and the access to the 3 valleys is all very well but they aren't all that IMV. Val d'Isere gets my back up quite badly too. The skiing would be great if it wasn't for the millions of people
latest report
Probably Passo Tonale. Been twice, found it OK but wouldn't be worth a 3rd trip. (Unless it was dirt cheap)
ski holidays
La Plagne. lots of time on lifts not going very far, or waiting to get on one. Very dull on piste skiing, most interesting bits always seemed shut, (not enough snow for off piste at the time), really ugly place. (including "belle" or fake plagne).

Meribel...3v transit centre with not very good snow.
ski holidays
There's nowhere I disliked, it's more a case of a change in ability.

Therefore I wouldn't go to Macunaga again or probably Livigno.

Not really that keen on 3v, there's too many cat tracks and icy slopes, esp around Meribel.
snow report
Never been anywhere I wouldn't go back to - either lucky or easily pleased
ski holidays
masmith,
Yes glen coe looks like a real poor place to ski Wink
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displaypic.php?id=2798,241#start
never been myself but will be going this winter or spring.
snow report
Beaver Creek - had great fun on a powder day, next time I went there I was bored within 90 minutes. Shows how actually snow quality makes a big difference in perception. I imagine if I went to any French resort in February (hence crowds) with crappy snow I'd be sworn off it for life.
ski holidays
Mountains, sunshine, cold beer, good food, snow oh and did I mention mountains.
latest report
Loads of places I wouldn't rush back to but now it's is more important who you go with rather than the place.

I agree with hayley t and Arno that Alagne is from another time warp...which isn't always a bad thing but the
fried frog offered up one night was a step too far
ski holidays
I don't always get a choice where to go: I wouldn't personally, for pleasure go anywhere near Tignes, Val D'Isere or the 3V - I wouldn't go to any purpose-built resort, or any of the big circuses. Small, quiet places is where I'd rather go. However (big sigh), I will be going back to Val T in 2007 - hope that's the last time!

Of course I do like rather different things to most, I like "local" bars, not much night life and don't care how many Kms of piste there are a long as the 50 they have are interesting. Very Happy
snow conditions
Auffach, Austria. Sad Much as I do like Austria generally, and have had some great fun and ski-ing there, this was a resort that our TO bumped us to (party of 14), six months after booking somewhere else and six weeks before we were due to go, because of "insufficient demand" for our resort of choice. Mad

There was NO snow in Auffach or the surrounding villages of Neiderau and Oberau, the nearest ski-able area was a three hour bus ride each way. Needless to say it was VERY crowded, with poor, slushy snow and I only bothered with the trip once. Consequently, lovely Alpine village that it undoubtedly is, I would never go to Auffach again due to bad memories. Also had a very dull week in Thyon 2000, a purpose built ski station in Nendaz, and have never troubled that area again either. Hold a grudge? Moi? wink
snow report
easiski wrote:

Of course I do like rather different things to most, I like "local" bars, not much night life and don't care how many Kms of piste there are a long as the 50 they have are interesting. Very Happy

ok I'll ski with you... sounds like my type of skiing...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy